Jason1145

Jason's Re-Re Blitzer Beetle Pics, Vids, Upgrades.

Here's my Blitzer Beetle, pretty much stock at the moment as it's new and I'm learning as I go with this thanks to you guys on this site.

Electrics fitted so far::

Tamiya Silver can motor with 13t pinion (stock gearbox can take either a 13t or 15t pinion of 32dp)

Waterproof Mtroniks 20t Brushed esc 

Carson 3KG Servo

Carson 2.4Ghz radio set.

So eventually I would like to increase the speed and make it fully waterproof too.... it's a little nippy on the stock setting, enough to donut a bit but I'd like more speed especially when I take it to wider open spaces.

Jobs to do:

1) Flip front hubs upside down to reduce Bumpsteer (thanks all who mentioned this)

2) Fit a waterproof servo and think about how to protect the receiver too.

3) Grab some different rear tyres out that won't wear out so quickly on concrete. (Thanks GSI I'm looking at Dirt Hawgs or a cheaper alternative if I can fond them)

4) Grab a lexan shell to paint up for daily use.

I originally wanted a Stadium Blitzer but after receiving this car as a roller and having this car in the flesh I am pleased with my choice, the bright orange is really eye catching and it just different to anything I currently have, with it's wider track than my DF03ra and TT02 I'm loving it's width and higher ground clearance.

Here's some pictures with the electrics installed, me and my 5 month old daughter tested out the shell's dual  use as a welders helmet, it passed with flying colours.

Is it allowed to post pics of ourselves and family members lol??

pnZuwup.jpg

kxq1xw9.jpg

5rE1qJL.jpg

llTNuS3.jpg

ZyP7o23.jpg

AsSTqcf.jpg

• Like 5

It looks so new :lol: 

Plans sound good, looking forward to watching the progress :)

I like your plan and look forward to more!

But in 30 years racing and bashing cars, I never understood the need for a water proof servo. Just the way they are constructed, any servo is at least splash proof IMO. Unless you want to park that Beetle in a lake, I would invest the water proof extra charge in a regular servo

PS. Can't wait to introduce my new born son to RC :)

Yep I think my daughter will grow up with Tamiya in the background so hopefully it’ll rub off on her and she’ll be a tom-boy, enabling daddy to be a big kid himself.

You may be right about the servo's but this Blitzer tub will fill with water and drown the servo if I got careless washing it out ;p

Running it today I can see the rear tyres have a bit of inward Camber, as the outer edges of the tyres can’t have touched the surface because they didn’t get caked in dust from the car park ;p

KMB02I9.jpg

9CH3W83.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kontemax said:

Poor tires... :D

Max

+ 1 

They won't last long behaving like that :P

• Like 1

Finally got my 25t spline :)

Getting those 3 springs on the Servo horn in the last photo was an effort!

UqFjJOX.jpg

UKfGcAb.jpg

xpQB3Ir.jpg

• Like 1

thats the high torque version, the metal springs are stiffer than the standard plastic ring and keep the servo in place

(except on crash than it absorbs a bit of the impact)

• Like 1

Yep they are super stiff... Have sore fingers from pressing them on again tonight after I forced them off accidentally... Not an easy job but all fitted and very nice in action.

This 25t spline enabled me to fit my waterproof HPI SF-10 servo.

Last thing to waterproof is the Carson receiver, might zip tie it in a balloon.

• Like 1

It's too dry right now for any dirty action, but yep once fully WP that's the intention.

i'll run it again today to make the servo saver and servo are fitted well enough and then have a think about increasing top speed while waiting for some cheap Chinese rear tyres to arrive.

the BB is next on my build list, this thread just gets the creative juices flowing!

• Like 1

Note to self - Don't try to drive one handed with a stick controller, you are not proficiently trained at using your left hand to control throttle, whilst wedging the controller under your chin and operating left/right with said chin..... panic will set in and you will forget to avoid parked cars and crash... like so:

URnXFhG.jpg

ulNkrRA.jpg

clISMxc.jpg

ehCm2la.jpg

I've bodged it back on for now, a washer helped as the front of the shell has a small crack cheers.

Can someone please explain how the top speed is the same ( to the naked eye anyway) on a Blitzer Beetle going from a Tamiya Silver can motor to a supposedly faster HPI Saturn 20t motor?

That should have been a 27t down to a 20t motor... With negligible top speed increase if any?

I'm not happy, no siree :)

38 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Can someone please explain how the top speed is the same ( to the naked eye anyway) on a Blitzer Beetle going from a Tamiya Silver can motor to a supposedly faster HPI Saturn 20t motor?

That should have been a 27t down to a 20t motor... With negligible top speed increase if any?

I'm not happy, no siree :)

My guess is that the motors turn at the same max RPM, limiting you to your gearing. With the Saturn you will get up to speed faster, but still have the same top speed. Am I right?

So the number of turns doesn't mean higher RPM? Huh that's a shock for me lol... Thought that getting a lower turn motor would be faster at top speed.

so turns measure acceleration not top speed? 

yes you're absolutely right, quicker acceleration same top speed.

Hmmm it does look like I need to be looking at RPMs for motors then? Are Double faster than singles? 

http://rcracechat.com/vb/showthread.php?62131-HPI-Saturn-20-turn-motor-specs

Saturn 20t is approx 19,994 RPM.

Tamiya GT Tuned 25t is 19,000RPM

Tamiya Super Stock BZ 23t is 26,500RPM

Does know the RPM of the following:

Silver can

Torque tuned

Sport Tuned

HPI Firebolt 15t

Or more simply, what brushed motor will give me more top speed in my Blitzer before I just lump for a brushless system ( I have a few ready just sitting, but I wanted Tamiya's running brushed, like old school).

I'm still very new to all of this, but my understanding is that now that you have more power you should upgrade to a different pinion gear for more top speed.