Hibernaculum

What's the rarest vintage R/C item you own?

Simple question that I thought might be fun, since the forum has been a bit quiet lately. What's the rarest vintage R/C item you own?

• Can be anything: car, spare part, accessory, radio, poster, memorabilia (as long as it's vintage R/C related).
  • Obviously most of you are Tamiya guys. But let's not limit this one to Tamiya.
  • Doesn't have to be the rarest thing on earth, just the thing that you feel lucky to own.

Photos welcome.

• Like 2

58002 :) 

It's in my showroom and I got it for free from my LHS, fixed up with a lot of love

image.jpeg

• Like 18

I remember that car well, as well as the careful restoration it underwent. You did a great job :)

I own an original Lancia Rally/Willy's Wheeler front bumper:

t03ipc.jpg

... it has since been repaired :ph34r:

• Like 2

http://jpegbay.com/gallery/005474466-.html#1

My Parma Frog Jumper body.  I've never seen another (albeit I haven't ever looked except on EBAY for the last couple of years)...

Too bad it doesn't fit onto my Frog anymore.  I've upgraded the front and rear shocks and they don't fit under the body.  I could cut the body, but I think that would ruin it...

Terry

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

My Parma Frog Jumper body.  I've never seen another (albeit I haven't ever looked except on EBAY for the last couple of years)...

Ah the Parma 'Frog Jumper' body. I used to have one of those bodies, NIP, which I bought from a hobby store in 1992. I sold it on eBay in about 2000.... perhaps it's the one you now have? :)

1 hour ago, Hibernaculum said:

Ah the Parma 'Frog Jumper' body. I used to have one of those bodies, NIP, which I bought from a hobby store in 1992. I sold it on eBay in about 2000.... perhaps it's the one you now have? :)

Nah...  I got mine fresh off the shelf at Timberlake Hobbies in good ole Virginia Beach back in 198x...  Hand cut and painted by my teenage self long before ebay ever existed...

Terry

• Like 1

Hi, great thread.

my two rarest are a NIB 49132 TRF414.  

NIB 44001 TR-15T with every period Tamiya Hop-Up.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Mine is hardly rare but it is vintage - a Tamiya box spanner that I received from my late uncle in the '80s. Apart from the patina of wear, it seems pretty much indistinguishable from the box spanners still supplied in kits today. I guess that is why Tamiya box spanners seem to have achieved an iconic status in their own right?

• Like 1

I don't really collect vintage stuff so I'm not sure how rare anything is.  Here's what I do have:

A shelf-queen never-run 58151 Calsonic Primera which I built from NIB a few years ago.  Loved the build, love owning the car, but part of me now feels sad that I destroyed something valuable just for the sake of building it.

An unpainted Primera bodyshell that I got in a deal here a few months back.  I actually want to paint it as a street car and shelf it (on the chassis of my Calsonic Primera runner), but part of me is afraid to ruin its value just to make something that nobody but me will appreciate.

An NIB Kyosho Volvo 850 EP (think it's a Mantis chassis) that I won in the raffle just over a week ago at the Iconic Revival.  I have no idea of its value but they seem to be rare, can't find many other NIBs around.  Absolutely no idea what to do with it.  I'm not really into Kyosho and the shell isn't detailed enough for a good shelf queen.  I might just keep it NIB for a few years and see where the mood takes me, but if someone offered a swap for something on my Tamiya wishlist I'd probably let it go.

I've got a set of gold SRB wheels and some aftermarket tyres that I got NIB at the Tamiyaclub meet in 2012, I opened them to make my SRB Lightweight project some time ago but can't find the photos and can't remember the brand now.  I need to go back to the SRB Lightweight project as it's actually right next to being finished.

I've got a random jumble of spares and parts going back decades but I don't know if any of it is rare or special.

• Like 1

I think myself lucky in many way's, But Having recently acquired (for the 2nd time in my life :o ) A Tamiya round the World Yacht ^_^

I have picked up some 1mm & 0.5mm line, now I'm just waiting on some 0.2mm line to start re-rigging her B)

TW601.jpg

• Like 10

i got an old AYK Magnum 240 motor what is supposedly the most ancient rc-related part i own. i dont know how rare it is but i still got the manual and it is still running.

• Like 1

Great thread H .

It would have to be my Fox . As it is still the same way i left 20 or so years ago .

19d8507119ef7db285a40bd78dc55cb9_zpsjjqq

• Like 6

Not Tamiya, but my Ultima RB type R......they were supposed to be kind of hard to get a hold of.

I have a bunch of original Tamiya SRB parts and a bunch of chassis parts/gearbox from  whatever Kyosho model had the  Scorpion chassis and a gas engine.

• Like 1

My new in box first edition subaru brat kit. Or my brand new narrow brat bumper. Both are highly cherished and not to be parted with.   

• Like 1

The rarest item I own (but is not vintage) is the Jamie Booth's Egress conversion kit replica that currently is one of the only 16 in the world.

Max

• Like 4

Avante carbon chassis alloy front body post for the Vanquish body.

Dyna Storm carbon chassis plates.

Acto Power TRF Tuned motor. 

• Like 6

Probably my Schumacher Cat '98. It's a rolling chassis, but I have the box and everything it came with including the manuals and errata that seem hard to find.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 94eg! said:

Avante carbon chassis alloy front body post for the Vanquish body.

Dyna Storm carbon chassis plates.

Acto Power TRF Tuned motor. 

You won!

Max

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10 August 2016 at 8:44 AM, Hibernaculum said:

Simple question that I thought might be fun, since the forum has been a bit quiet lately. What's the rarest vintage R/C item you own?

• Can be anything: car, spare part, accessory, radio, poster, memorabilia (as long as it's vintage R/C related).
  • Obviously most of you are Tamiya guys. But let's not limit this one to Tamiya.
  • Doesn't have to be the rarest thing on earth, just the thing that you feel lucky to own.

Photos welcome.

So whats your Rarest ? there H  

Great reading about everyone's stuff. @chevelle - I have the Yamaha 40EX + Tamiya sailing radio set. They're so relaxing to take out once in a while. ^_^

21 hours ago, matman said:

So whats your Rarest ? there H  

I have a couple of unusual Tamiya things I will photograph later.

A couple for now that I have photos of (sorry if you've seen them already)... I'll add some explanation about how hard they were to find...

Kyosho Volkswagen Baja Bug

Electric (540) waterproof, centrifugal clutch, and pumpable tyres. Released in 1982 as something of a Sand Scorcher rival. You do see it's two siblings (Sand Skipper and Ford Pickup) come up now and then in NIB form. But it took me about five years to find the Baja Bug NIB, and cost about $2000 :blink: And while it's always really hard to make definitive claims about "how many are left" (because there is no way to know), I feel like I've done enough chasing on this one over the years to at least guess that there are probably fewer than 10 NIB in the world. And that's being generous, since I have only ever seen one other NIB......(which has been finished, painted and run). The tyre pump is particularly impossible to find (this kit includes it).

kyoshovolkswagenbajabug019.jpg?w=400kyoshovolkswagenbajabug007.jpg?w=250

Gama Sea Ranger NIB

Manufactured in 1981 by a lost company called Likto, but made to order for the Gama toy company of Germany (and to my knowledge, only sold in Europe), this replica of the bizarre 1979 amphibious "Sea Ranger" car-show prototype created by a famed Italian industrial designer named Luigi Colani, has to be one of the most fragile and strange R/C models ever produced. It is fully amphibious just like the real car, with twin propellors at the back. It was later modified and changed for a different release under Dickie branding. But only the original replicated the real world vehicle. Incomplete examples are moderately rare. But finding one brand new with all the chrome attachments, antennas etc (and the swivel-fishing seat on the roof!), is ridiculously hard. So again, this may be one of the last... 

gamasearanger001.jpg?w=400  gamasearanger019.jpg?w=300  

Mugen Bulldog tyres NIB

Who knew Mugen ever sold tyres in boxes like Tamiya? Anyone who likes the Bulldog I or II will know how cool these tyres are. And also how there are next to zero left the world (save for the ones inside the few remaining whole kits). I think I paid about $200 for this, and it's literally the only boxed set I have ever seen.

mugenbulldogtyre1.jpg?w=400mugenbulldogtyre2.jpg?w=400

Will post a couple more things later, but keep them coming guys.

• Like 7