Hibernaculum

What's the rarest vintage R/C item you own?

1 hour ago, yogi-bear said:

no worries :D I wasn't going to use is and at least it went to someone who needed it, plus it helped me pay for a Mazda 787B shell, which coincidently arrived today.

I knew a packaged had arrived for me today and I thought it was a Mazda 787B body shell, but instead it turned out it was some chrome wheel rims for the same car. I've only seen these twice on eBay, the first time was a couple of weeks ago and I lost the bid, only to see then relisted with a Buy It Now price, and less than a second later they were mine B)  I'm guessing these are rare-ish?

58102_Mazda_787B_Wheels_-1.jpg

• Like 2

Got it all fitted up bud, just had to clip the two ejector pin marks near the centerline. She looks fantastic!

On 8/10/2016 at 10:30 PM, Frog Jumper said:

http://jpegbay.com/gallery/005474466-.html#1

My Parma Frog Jumper body.  I've never seen another (albeit I haven't ever looked except on EBAY for the last couple of years)...

Too bad it doesn't fit onto my Frog anymore.  I've upgraded the front and rear shocks and they don't fit under the body.  I could cut the body, but I think that would ruin it...

Terry

Holy cow!  Look at that!  Another Jumper!

http://r.ebay.com/cxttPU

Terry

The rarest item I have is probably the complete bodyparts bag for my RM MK1 Can Am Lola. I have a collection of NOS parts for it, I am still looking for a few parts to complete it... The rear bumper, wing mount and screw bag A seem particularly difficult to find...

Next in rarity is my NIB 58051 Fox.

- J

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NWarty said:

Got it all fitted up bud, just had to clip the two ejector pin marks near the centerline. She looks fantastic!

awesome, need a photo though :D

Ask and ye shall receive :P

Taken with my iPhone in the evening so the white looks a little yellowish 

image.jpeg

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

Anyone know what this is? (I know what it is, just wondering if anyone else does ;))

eMt4SdD.jpg

Is that a 1980 Matsushiro XR 311 Speed Buggy by any chance ? ;)

• Like 1

Well done Terragni, full points to you ;) Yes, that's it!

I had been looking at it this week, and just figured I'd throw it in this thread, as it's probably one of only a handful in Australia. Featuring a poseable driver (moving arms), working headlights and 3 speeds, this is the original model of this type from Japan (it was later also sold in Europe under Schuco branding). Capable of over 20km/h at top speed, these cars have a very nice built-in digital proportional radio with very good reception.

• Like 1

I am constantly amazed by how many other manufacturers copied Tamiya back in the day

They were true market leaders then, took such risks and leaps in technology

They have even resorted to copying their own models with the re-releases

If you can't beat them.........

While encouraged to 'think outside the box' this strategy is rarely rewarded these days

Easier to do knockoffs.........

'It wasn't like that in my day sonny'

True, Tamiya definitely came up with a lot of firsts. I wish they would focus solely on new ideas, (including fresh retro-themed ideas) rather than purely remaking their own past hits. ;) But that's just me. I've been saying for years that if Tamiya were making new buggy models (with new designs) but which had vintage looks, build and materials that hark back to the way things were done in 1980s (overengineered, old school concepts, lots of metal) - e.g. they might call it the Tamiya Nostalgia Series, I would be first in line to buy every single such kit they released.

Ironically, the cars other companies made back in the 80s (which were often copies of Tamiya ideas) are actually pretty interesting from a design point of view. To me anyway. e.g. Matsushiro's XR311 in 1980 may have been inspired by the existence of Tamiya's XR311 in 1978 or so, but when you look underneath they are nothing alike (apart from both being XR311 models). The Matsushiro was obviously ready-to-run, but still made with very high quality (certainly compared to the RTR toys of today).

6 hours ago, kontemax said:

Hot shot/Boomerang ball differentials.

Max

Spot on Max , they did it for other tamiya models . So why not this one , as it does fit more than one model ... 

We can only hope and dream :D .

On ‎11‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 5:43 AM, Hibernaculum said:

To me anyway. e.g. Matsushiro's XR311 in 1980 may have been inspired by the existence of Tamiya's XR311 in 1978 or so, but when you look underneath they are nothing alike (apart from both being XR311 models). The Matsushiro was obviously ready-to-run, but still made with very high quality (certainly compared to the RTR toys of today).

Some pics of different versions of the Matsushiro XR311 and a (partial) comparison with the Tamiya XR311 and a mix of both. :P (scroll a bit down).

https://www.facebook.com/mokeikagaku/photos/?tab=album&album_id=445636335563308

• Like 1

On 12/09/2016 at 6:56 PM, Mokei Kagaku said:

Some pics of different versions of the Matsushiro XR311 and a (partial) comparison with the Tamiya XR311 and a mix of both. :P (scroll a bit down).

https://www.facebook.com/mokeikagaku/photos/?tab=album&album_id=445636335563308

Some great pics and research there Mokei ^_^  I note what you said about the box picture tyres too - I too have never seen anything like that on production versions, and Matsushiro must have borrowed the Tamiya ones for the photo. The same situation existed on the sister vehicle to this, the Matsushiro Land Rover. Which was sold under Gama/Matsushiro in Europe.

forsale2gamalandrover001.jpg?w=560

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hibernaculum said:

The same situation existed on the sister vehicle to this, the Matsushiro Land Rover. Which was sold under Gama/Matsushiro in Europe.

Funny you mention the Land Rover, because I mentioned it myself in a post I wrote about a Tamiya News article where Tamiya's 1/35 static model was converted to the "Trans American" Land Rover:

https://www.facebook.com/mokeikagaku/posts/515355721924702

Even if I had been into RC models for some time when the Matsushiro Land Rover was released, it always fascinated me. I disliked (and still dislike) the orange headlights and narrow front tires, but apart from that, the generally good proportions and all the accessories really make it look great.

• Like 1

Wow. I have searched high and low for photos and history of the real Land Rover that the Matsushiro was based on, and that's the first I've seen! Thanks for sharing. We should probably discuss some of this stuff more often Mokei 😉

It took me years, but I actually have a mint NIB example of the Land Rover (complete with the motorized boat), perhaps one of the last I suspect. If I may, I'd love to borrow your images for a future article about it (when the time comes). 

2 minutes ago, gordb said:

Rarest for me is definitely the "protoshot" (the pre-production car out of my favourite Hotshot covered Tamiya catalog), complete with yellow FRP, hand-drilled metal plates, pre-production plastic painted parts, and half-hex drive shafts.

getuserimage.asp?t=&id=img9880_300420121

More photos here http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=114140&sid=9880

Worlds rarest hotshot!

Where did you get it, gordb? If it's a factory prototype, then that's next-level rare. It's kinda like the rocket-firing Boba Fett of Tamiya. Only downside is that you suspect Tamiya would have run every prototype in the dirt, hence no mint prototypes would exist (Or do they? Happy to be proven wrong).  Doesn't compare, but I do have a NIB Super Champ kit that came with red rubber bags in the kit (as seen in catalogue images). I mentioned it a decade ago and it seemed like almost a proto-level rarity, but perhaps just a mk1 thing.

2 hours ago, gordb said:

Rarest for me is definitely the "protoshot" (the pre-production car out of my favourite Hotshot covered Tamiya catalog), complete with yellow FRP, hand-drilled metal plates, pre-production plastic painted parts, and half-hex drive shafts.

getuserimage.asp?t=&id=img9880_300420121

More photos here http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=114140&sid=9880

Hi @gordb are these the pics from the guidebooks you mention in your showroom description (below)?  Definitely has the FRP stabilizer mounts, although the resistors are the normal shape as opposed to the rectangular ones on your 'Protoshot'.  Definitely interesting!

guide1986_12.jpg

Also, in case anyone wanted to see a nice breakdown of Mk1 parts as shown in the guidebooks it's also up on Tamiyabase...

guide1986_02.jpg

• Like 1

It was definitely taken apart and cleaned by one of the previous owners, and either they, or Tamiya have replaced the front end at some point, as well as the resistors. Not trying to suggest it's retained all the parts from the original photo, but there are enough parts that make it very clear it's one of the pre-production cars. I (like several others) wish no-one had ever cleaned or repaired any parts on it - but as a piece of Hotshot history, I'll take what I can get ;)

• Like 2