Hibernaculum

What's the rarest vintage R/C item you own?

The top guidebook pic in addition to the yellow FRP parts clearly does show the more cylindrical stabilizer bar ends too.  The body has number "1" as opposed to "3" everywhere so I guess these would be different of the (many?) early prototypes...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beefmuffin said:

The top guidebook pic in addition to the yellow FRP parts clearly does show the more cylindrical stabilizer bar ends too.  The body has number "1" as opposed to "3" everywhere so I guess these would be different of the (many?) early prototypes...

The lighter FRP is really just the start once you start looking closely. Many of the plastic parts have different shapes, the shock body + mounts + springs are different, it has e-clipped shafts rather than screws holding the front/rear double wishbones, the metal plates on the rear shocks have multiple holes on them, the rear drive shafts are different (they're actually hex at one end, and dogbone at the other), etc (and yes, that's one of the pictures from the guidebook). 

Without the real car to compare to, it's hard to pick these out of the guidebook (for example, you'd likely never realise the wishbone arms have e-clips rather than screws holding them in). But once you have the two cars in front of you (prototype and production) and then look at the picture, the differences become a lot easier to see (now that you know there are e-clips they're super easy to see, and you can find the second set of holes that were drilled on the metal parts driving the rear suspension, etc).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

Wow. I have searched high and low for photos and history of the real Land Rover that the Matsushiro was based on, and that's the first I've seen! Thanks for sharing. We should probably discuss some of this stuff more often Mokei 😉

It took me years, but I actually have a mint NIB example of the Land Rover (complete with the motorized boat), perhaps one of the last I suspect. If I may, I'd love to borrow your images for a future article about it (when the time comes). 

I know finding pics of the real one (or ones?) is pretty hard, but as you may know, several models exist. Now defunct Italian company Politoys/Polistil had it as a very detailed diecast model in 1/25 scale and Bburago had (and possibly still has) a relatively crude version in their 1/43 scale range (although it's actually 1/47). Mebetoys made a much better version in 1/43. Also, the Italian plastic model kit manufacturer Esci had a decent kit of it in 1/24 scale (which I have). After Esci folded, Italeri got the molds, and have rereleased the Land Rover kit, including some of the accessories of the Trans American, but not the Trans American version as such. I know very little about the Trans American Tour, but it appears it was arranged several times. After all, the pic of the real one is of a Series 2, whereas most the models I've seen (apart from the Tamiya conversion and the Mebetoys version) are of Series 3 Land Rovers, with several distinct differences, the major being the headlamps being moved from the grille to the fenders.

As for rarity of the Matsushiro Land Rover, I have never seen the original Matsushiro version, but the Gama version is pretty common here in Germany. No wonder as Gama's own products and Gama-branded products were widely available here until Gama's bankruptcy. Really mint and complete ones are probably still pretty rare because details can easily be lost or damaged, but good condition ones are relatively easy to find at fair prices. Even though it's a bit toyish in appearance, I think it was an excellent choice by Matsushiro to make a model of this specific Land Rover.

• Like 1

Great info. I can see that the 1:1 image comes from the backing card of the Polistil model. I am going to have to pick some of those models up if I can. I suspect the Trans American tour was a bit like the Camel Trophy (which also featured Land Rovers), but perhaps earlier and/or less famous. With the map decal and the list of locations, I knew this car had to be depicting some sort of real motorsport event of the 70s or early 80s... very glad that it does ^_^

Anyway, here is the Matsushiro release. It is identical to the European Gama/Matsushiro release, except: the name is "Land Rover Custom", and to my knowledge it actually did not include the boat, motor and roof net, as well as the end protectors on the bumper. Early Japanese R/C magazines support this. It was not uncommon for international releases to get "a little extra" made to order in the way of accessories. For this reason, to my knowledge, the Gama/Matsushiro release is the more interesting one.

ov7Dt7M.jpg

You're right that it was somewhat "toy like" in a sense, but so was every RTR R/C car ever made in the 1980s. Only kits with unpainted bodies could attain better realism really (in skilled hands anyway). As for rarity, the vast majority of examples (any release) are either used, or used and incomplete. I sold a NIB one for about $600 some time ago. I have since had another buyer in Germany ask me to find another (mint/complete) and offer 1000 Euro for one, if found. To date, I have not been able to fulfill the order (and as it took me so long to find mine, I am just not willing to let it go for any amount).

Similar to the Matsushiro Land Rover being based on a real rally vehicle, does anyone know if the Imai Volkswagen 1303S Racing Beetle (which similarly contains an event name, map and list of locations on its decals) was based on a real life vehicle? I bet it was, but I have not been able to locate an image over the years. This gorgeous kit was released circa 1980.

hp6Ey0N.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

Similar to the Matsushiro Land Rover being based on a real rally vehicle, does anyone know if the Imai Volkswagen 1303S Racing Beetle (which similarly contains an event name, map and list of locations on its decals) was based on a real life vehicle? I bet it was, but I have not been able to locate an image over the years. This gorgeous kit was released circa 1980.

hp6Ey0N.jpg

I really don't know, but apart from collecting Tamiya in general and RC-models, I collect "anything" related to aircooled VW's and have done so since the early 80's. So I have a few books and other sorts of documentation and have never seen pics of a real Beetle with the scheme/livery of the Imai VW 1303.

I have 2 or 3 of the Imai 1/12 RC 1303 and one of them is run just a little (or new built, I don't remember), in the boxart colour and with the correct decals, and it's a nice model anyway. Imai also made a fairly similar plastic model kit in 1/24 scale based on their normal VW 1303S model (item number B-1321).  The rally version (B-1323) was first released with the body molded in grey, with the boxart depicting it in grey and red and with completely different decals from the 1/12 RC Version. It was later re-released with the same item number, but with the body molded in yellow and with decals fairly similar to the 1/12 RC version. Unlike the RC version, the plastic model kit comes with bumpers and no front spoiler and with the US-/Japan-spec front valance, with slots for the airconditioning condenser, which was often utilised for a separate oil cooler on Beetles with hot engines.

In fact, I believe the front spoiler of the RC-version is just the result of making the body easier to mold (and maybe to make the body look cooler?). After all, the original front valance would command an undercut, something that was hardly mastered (only by Carrera?) in vacuum molded RC-bodies in the 70's/80's.

Unfortunately, the tail lights of the Imai RC Beetle are way too big. I made some copies of them in clear resin to use them on the Sand Rover body. I knew they were too big for 1/12 scale, and hoped they would be suitable for 1/10 scale bodies. The socalled "elephant foot" taillights of the 1303 introduced for the 1973 models of the Beetle and were often fitted on dune buggies from then on. Trying the resin copies on the Sand Rover Body, it was immediately clear that they were too big even for 1/10 scale. So I measured them and compared them to the size of my real VW 1303's taillights, and it turned out they are actually close to 1/8 scale. No wonder they look big on the Imai body! Also, they have Japanese market lenses which differ slightly from the US-spec (which are unique) and the "rest of the world" lenses, which is of course the most common type.

By the way, after Imai closed down, Aoshima took over the molds for both the B-1321/1323 and the convertible version (B-1327), and have released the normal 1303S (# 03539) and the 1303* Convertible (# 03920) (* in fact 1303LS-spec in the last years of production that the Imai kit depicts). The rally version has unfortunately not been released again (yet).  Also, in recent years, the body of the RC-version has become available from a Japanese Company, but as far as I know, it comes without any separate details (except the wing) and I don't know if the original mold is used or if it's "just" a copy.

Imai also made several different versions of their basic 1303 plastic model kit. Relatively early, the "Black Glory Beetle" was available, body molded in black and complete with large red/white/black swastika decals! Shortly before Imai closed forever, a "Mooneyes" version was released (with Mooneyes decals and hubcaps) and then the "American Custom Callook Bom" and "American Custom Fire Bom".  Probably the last desperate attempts of getting revenues from old molds in their financially challenging Situation.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

By the way, after Imai closed down, Aoshima took over the molds for both the B-1321/1323 and the convertible version (B-1327), and have released the normal 1303S (# 03539) and the 1303* Convertible (# 03920) (* in fact 1303LS-spec in the last years of production that the Imai kit depicts). The rally version has unfortunately not been released again (yet).  Also, in recent years, the body of the RC-version has become available from a Japanese Company, but as far as I know, it comes without any separate details (except the wing) and I don't know if the original mold is used or if it's "just" a copy.

Comprehensive stuff Mokei. I have one of those Imai 1/24 Beetle kits too (the rally version), under Imai branding. The 1/12 kit though, has a back page in the manual that shows two alternative kit drawings - one is a rally version. There's no mention of scale with them, but I am assuming neither of these were R/C kits, just plastic models only? I've certainly never come across them, and I've done some crazy R/C beetle searching over the years.

Regarding the livery... I continue to hope that there really was a 1:1 vehicle that this Imai R/C kit was based on, as it was such a common practice for Japanese kits and toys to be modeled after real racing vehicles. Especially during that era. (I mean, even objects as abstracted as the G1 Transformers were modeled after specific 1:1 vehicles like a Ligier F1 car and an Alitalia Lancia Stratos, despite dropping any reference to those source vehicles).

@Rosey Kudos to you Hotshot Mk1 kit guys :lol: That kit is super cool.

As I once read in a car magazine review about the Bugatti Veyron, the author concluded with: "Just be thankful that it exists". There are situations where any other collector can only be happy for the lucky cats who have certain things ^_^ And glad that they are being looked after, for the history value.

This thread's had a lot of good responses. Just to add a philosophical note... (and this is totally stating the obvious, but I'll add it anyway)... most folks aren't lucky enough to own a NIB vintage kit of anything due to costs and general levels of scarcity. Then there are those who do. But I bet every R/C collector on earth has things on their want-lists that they will never have, for one reason or another. So we should all remember that everything is relative, and nobody has it all. I've had way more luck than I deserve over the years, and still way less luck than some, yet there's certainly still loads of things I'd like to find and will never have.

But maybe Oscar Wilde was right?... "There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."  It can be fun to want things, even if not all of them fall your way.

I often look through the showrooms here on TC, and see things I'd love to have, and think "Will I ever get one of those...?". But there's also not a single showroom that has certain things I have, let alone the combination of things I have, and I'm sure that's true for absolutely everyone. And on a more personal level, there are no other collections that have certain things that are priceless to me yet complete rubbish to anyone else - such as the Hotshot MSC my dad once repaired in his workshop, a few years before he died, using nothing more than some weird resin (?) and cardboard (?!). Despite looking like the scorched remains of a large spider, I currently have this very MSC on the shelf of a backlit, glass display cabinet in my home. Much to my wife's bemusement ;)

So remember that every collection is special, guys. Rock on and continue posting rarities that are special to you, from the NIB kits to the burnt MSCs B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rosey said:

Rarest item I have and the pinnacle of my collection, an absolutely perfect nib Hotshot Mk1 kit. What makes my kit all the more special imo though is the fact that both blister boxes are still sealed with original tape. The body too is still attached to the mounting card. An exceptionally rare kit anyway which has been taken up a notch :)

Screenshot_20160916-055707.jpg

Screenshot_20160916-055903.jpg

Screenshot_20160916-055820.jpg

Will give you $50 for it.

• Like 2

How about Tree-Fiddy? The Loch Ness Monster from the Paleozoic era said that would be a fair deal!

Probably the rarest part I have here is a new in box body set for the 58040 Lancia Rally complete with mint unbroken front bumper assembly

• Like 1

Would be interesting to know what is the most expensive tamiya kit ever?

I know I paid a fortune for my Mk1 but have heard of Black Porsche Nibs exceeding $10k USD in sale value.

On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Rosey said:

Rarest item I have and the pinnacle of my collection, an absolutely perfect nib Hotshot Mk1 kit. What makes my kit all the more special imo though is the fact that both blister boxes are still sealed with original tape. The body too is still attached to the mounting card. An exceptionally rare kit anyway which has been taken up a notch :)

Screenshot_20160916-055707.jpg

Screenshot_20160916-055903.jpg

Screenshot_20160916-055820.jpg

The real holy grail. How often do you these these pop up for sale?

This is the kit that made me crazy about the Mk1 lol!

On 18/09/2016 at 1:23 PM, kasparov said:

Would be interesting to know what is the most expensive tamiya kit ever? I know I paid a fortune for my Mk1 but have heard of Black Porsche Nibs exceeding $10k USD in sale value.

I'm not aware of anything vintage NIB from Tamiya that has exchanged hands for more than those Black Porsche levels around the 10k mark (I've been told there were some higher, but...I'm unsure).

Tamiya might not always be the brand setting highest prices for vintage though. If you look at vintage gas powered cars of the 70s, prices can conceivably match that level (quite easily) if you can ever find NIB. e.g.  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-John-THORP-Pan-Car-1-8-Last-Aluminum-Version-Dual-Disk-Brake-/152185077435  That got over US$4k just for a used, authentic original John Thorp.

Then there's stuff like this. This didn't sell. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/vintage-simprop-rare-kyosho-mugen-serpent-tamiya-dynamic-delta-pb-corally-hpi-os-/162188430237   An obscure Simprop. Dreaming at this price, I think, for such a major resto project of something so rare. And it'd be nice to see some actual effort with the listing. But you've got to respect what it is (the era, the gearbox). And I'd speculate the value of a mint one (if one exists) could be a "name your price" and just sit and wait, type of situation. Someone will buy something like that eventually, if it's mint, amazing, and the rarity is off the charts.

But guys into 60s/70s gas (as I'm not) will have much better stories than me.

Edit. Here's another one for you @kasparov  NIB Kyosho Dash 1 with Lola body. 1/8 scale.

sFZGuh7.jpg

One other thing I'd say. Unlike a lot of other collectibles/toys, I do think vintage R/C (cars) as a hobby has a large number of items which are excellent in quality, underappreciated, and obscure. By that I mean... consider that there are a very high number of NIP action figures out there in the world (thousands in some cases) which also have larger communities (hundreds of thousands probably) of collectors fighting over them. Thus their prices are pushed high.

But with R/C, where you have certain entire car kits that are so extremely rare that only a handful of "brand new" examples may be left, with a small collecting base who wants them, the thing to remember is that it only takes a small uptick in interest in those items to quickly push their prices up. Latent crossover interest from 1:1 car fans and the like, is always bubbling along in the background (e.g. guys who like the general subject area, yet never noticed vintage R/C kits before, then go "hey these were incredible! I am going to collect them!")

Another thing too... when you look at a lot of the classic 70s/80s plastic toys that are getting so much attention today (Star Wars, Transformers, Barbie etc), and when you really look at what they are... they were usually nothing more than cheaply made toys that were made in Taiwan and China, and were literally manufactured in the trillions at the lowest quality possible. They have huge nostalgia and pop culture value which drives their prices today, but often... the intrinsic quality of them as objects, is really quite low.

When you look at the toys that are much older (1900s - 1940s), and now very valuable today (e.g. vintage tin boats, early German teddy bears, etc) they DO have a lot of real, intrinsic quality to them. They have zero pop culture value. So they are valuable today due mainly to their intrinsic build and design quality. I think perhaps they are a good predictor of the level of recognition that vintage R/C items could achieve in 100 years from now. And if so, those prices are going to be unbelievable in some cases. Some early teddy bears and wax dolls are now worth easily over $100,000, all due to the reverence over two things: their quality and rarity.

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 1:52 AM, Hibernaculum said:

I often look through the showrooms here on TC, and see things I'd love to have, and think "Will I ever get one of those...?". But there's also not a single showroom that has certain things I have, let alone the combination of things I have, and I'm sure that's true for absolutely everyone. And on a more personal level, there are no other collections that have certain things that are priceless to me yet complete rubbish to anyone else - such as the Hotshot MSC my dad once repaired in his workshop, a few years before he died, using nothing more than some weird resin (?) and cardboard (?!). Despite looking like the scorched remains of a large spider, I currently have this very MSC on the shelf of a backlit, glass display cabinet in my home. Much to my wife's bemusement ;)

So remember that every collection is special, guys. Rock on and continue posting rarities that are special to you, from the NIB kits to the burnt MSCs B)

You kind of hit a nail on the head here, some things are worth more than money because of the sentimental value they have. That MSC for example would have zero value if you tried to sell it, but to you, priceless. Its something you couldn't put a price on and will never be for sale. I have things like this too, certain toys I had when I was a kid, broken, bits missing and so on, but I'll take them to the grave with me because of the memories I have of the person who bought them for me.

Yes I have a 'bucket list' of things I'd love to have/own, but life is always about wanting something that you can't necessarily have. Sometimes its good to have something to work for, to aspire to own. It would make finding one to own all that more sweet when you do find it or can afford to pay what you think is a sensible price. There are a few games consoles I'd love to own, but I'm not willing to pay the money (NEO GEO for example!) but then I do have a rare Commodore P500, of which there are only a few examples known to exist. I bought mine at a boot sale (cheap! and boxed!), mine has a low serial number and there is currently one on eBay for £3000! Ridiculous! I am considering selling this on if I'm honest, though I wouldn't expect that kind of money for it, that's just plain greedy in my opinion. Something is only really worth what someone is prepared to pay for it!

• Like 1

On 8/23/2016 at 2:01 PM, firefoxussr said:

For me without a doubt it's my Parma (supposedly) Jaguar XJR-15 1/10th pancar body.   I find it most interesting because I don't see any evidence of one existing on the Internet.  It is my favorite Jaguar by a wide margin.  

Soooo... turns out it's not a Parma at all.  I just purchased a new-in-bag one on l'Bay.  It's an HPI body #7010 made for the Tamiya Group C chassis (says so on the tag).  Interesting that they have Jaguar's name but no decals whatsoever.   Good thing I'm a graphic artist about right now.

Wheel slippery clutches for Hot Shot series.

Thunder Shot wing with decals NIP.

Wing A with decals NIP.

Max

• Like 1

This isn't a tamiya,

But I do own a lwb gold chassis Mardave Meteor,

It has white longer front suspension arms, rare ball raced front wheels, and the near impossible to find, ball raced red counter gear. Body shell is an original lwb one.

Car was rebuilt by me back in the day with the upgraded parts.

Non vintage, I also have a Booth replica Egress

• Like 1

On 9/14/2016 at 3:33 AM, Hibernaculum said:

hp6Ey0N.jpg

I've always wanted one of these, but they don't come up for sale often, and are expensive to have shipped to the US.  It's one of the few VW R/C cars I don't have in my collection.

• Like 1

Probably my 1997 Kyosho Renault Laguna Bodyset, took me 2 years to find one (thats if 1997 is classed as vintage these days).  Also my 1991 Tamiya Mazda 787B new built is pretty rare these days too and is 25 years old !!

14681905_1513844941962918_63359920939854

14706828_1513847038629375_90642608273356

James

:)

• Like 3

i actually never thought about it. I stepped in the hobby for fun and i am still collecting for fun, and only models that i really like. I guess the Transspeed MS motor will be quite rare and the front and rear You-G shocks on my Hornet might also be it still doesn't have any importance. I am very fond of each model i restored to it's original grace and i still enjoy watching them every day.