beefmuffin

New King Cab Transmission Alternative

Just wanted to let people know that there's now a new alternative transmission option out there for the King Cab and Monster Racer.  It replaces the gull gearbox, diff and outdrives with a bulletproof RC10 Stealth gearbox / diff / outdrives (you source / supply this) and there is a kit including custom mounting plates etc that allow this to be a drop-in replacement.  Pretty exciting stuff!  I don't run my King Cab so I don't need it myself, but given the expensive alternatives to the weak KC transmission this seems like a great option for those who do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-nissan-king-cab-hi-lux-monster-racer-stealth-transmission-conversion-kit-/331934782225

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 7

Makes you wonder how much these custom-part companies trawls sites like this (:

I would love an adaptor to run a stealth on an Astute

mmm with a worlds car re re slipper, B4 top shaft etc , bulletproof

Actually the USA made Stealth is part no ASC 6565   $6 us, you need the idler shaft and gear ASC 6570 to match this , which is less than $4 us.

The re re worlds gearbox's have issues, the above US stealth is better

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flerbizky said:

Makes you wonder how much these custom-part companies trawls sites like this (:

I happen to know that this kit was made by one guy who hand makes these parts and did it for his own KC.  I and others encouraged him to offer it to others who might want to do the same so he made a bunch of extra sets.  I doubt these will be available indefinitely so if anyone is interested even just to have ready for then their stock trans kicks the bucket I'd suggest grabbing a set before they are gone.  I probably will even though I don't run mine, because I think it's a cool idea.  Doesn't even require special dogbones or axles or anything.

• Like 2

Just put it on my watch list, need to source a a gearbox.  I'm guessing this is for the 90's - 00's gearbox used in the 10T and buggy? Or from the SC10?  Never owned an AE product but I know many at the track who live and die by AE, will need to make some calls.

So, something like this trans??  http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAM-ASSOCIATED-RC10-WORLDS-EDITION-STEALTH-TRANSMISSION-DIFF-ASC6002-NEW-/112014979625?hash=item1a149cf229:g:5asAAOSwnH1WavYd

Or would this work also??  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Team-Associated-Transmission-RC10T3-RC10B3-RC10-T3-B3/142075390416?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38052%26meid%3Df7fe2690c3c64281a74884db6316bac7%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D131887046628

Action video, looks great 

• Like 1

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a set. Am pretty tempted myself. I did however, being born with 23 thumbs, manage to make this, in something like 3-4 hours with only a hacksaw, handhell drill and a couple of files.

Q7BNaC4.jpg

3 mm sheet of fibre glass, Couple of random spacers from the parts bin and Bobs your uncle (:

This is the tranny I got of off the Bay of Evil http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182118385784?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 3

At least there is now something available for those that just want to buy all the bits and screw it together. Unfortunately by the time you spend x dollars on a gearbox and x dollars on that kit, there $120+ . Whereas a sc10 gearbox and some spare time (plus I had dogbones) was a cheaper option for some of us.

• Like 1

There's always the Lethal Weapon 2 Belt transmission like mine that fits the King Cab.

Max

6 hours ago, highflyer said:

Action video, looks great 

Yeah this video was posted by Derrick Durbin who is the designer,  He's trying to get his TC login approved (@TWINSET @netsmithUK) so he can join this discussion.

3 hours ago, berman said:

At least there is now something available for those that just want to buy all the bits and screw it together. Unfortunately by the time you spend x dollars on a gearbox and x dollars on that kit, there $120+ . Whereas a sc10 gearbox and some spare time (plus I had dogbones) was a cheaper option for some of us.

I think the idea was to make it basically a bolt-on option that won't cost as much as a Thorp setup or other $200-300 options.

11 minutes ago, kontemax said:

There's always the Lethal Weapon 2 Belt transmission like mine that fits the King Cab.

Max

Hey Max about how much do you think it would cost for one of these?  Cheap?  Not cheap?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, beefmuffin said:

I think the idea was to make it basically a bolt-on option that won't cost as much as a Thorp setup or other $200-300 options.

Hey Max about how much do you think it would cost for one of these?  Cheap?  Not cheap?

My idea is hopefully be able to run brushless with the stealth tranny in my King Cab, and maybe a gear diff like the AE SC10 have installed now (not sure if this tranny will work with kit above) - 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121993056239?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have the Lethal Weapon 2 Belt tranny, it was 125.00 with power clutch included.  Plan is to use it in my Sassy Chassis Monster Racer as it bolts in with no cutting.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=80041&sid=14859

1 hour ago, beefmuffin said:

Definitely not cheap, I payed circa 100 € for the version with the slippery clutch.

The transmission is good and bomb proof but not excellent.

- It is sold with the subchassis plate but my plate had 2 holes in the wrong position and I had to work them to have a perfect fit with the case.

- Then I had to cut the top plastic chassis to fit the top brace. Arghh!!!

- Another problem for me is that it was not metric but imperial so I still have problem with the nut for the slippery clutch. Currently I use a long nose pliers to regulate it.

- The differential outdrives are too long so you have two alternatives: limit the rear suspension movement (no way, it is a point of force of the King Cab) or shortening the outdrives. I shortened them. Not easy job because they are made of Rockwell 56 grade steel, very very hard.

- You must reverse the rotation direction of the motor.

- You must use the bigger spur you will find on the market and the smaller pinion gear. These two last problems because the mechanic doesn't have the iddle gear (due the belt) so the differential rotation is reversed and has not many gear ratio reduction.

- The feeling of the transmission is "sticky" due the belt.

- You need good modelling skills to adapt it.

Anyway the good points are that the ball differential is very strong with hard steel components, the outdrives life is forever, it manages hot motors, it is not noisy.

My feedback about the product today is negative, obviously, but some years ago was highly positive because it was the only good alternative to the King Cab transmission. Keep in mind that the Lethal Weapon 2 is a product from the 90ies with all the problem of the 90ies. Today there's a large amount of alternatives that at the era didn't exist.

Today, personally, I would mount the Dyna Storm transmission (that is bomb proof) or the new TRF 211X transmission.

There's also an Ansmann transmission on the market that is cheap (15 €) and it worth the cost.

The Thorpe set up is no more the best solution, too expensive and conceptually too old. It's only to have the vintage hop up of the era, no more.

Max

• Like 1

Just ordered one, mow he neeeds to do an Astute one!

Looks great, I like it but I've got a doubt: if with a new tranny the truck will be a blast what will happen to the chassis? Is it strong enough?
The truck I own is in mint condition and I don't run hard it only to keep the the transmission but if this mix will work...

I used my King Cab as a barbarian with massive jumps, skate parks and so on and the chassis is strong. The weaker point is the front bumper mount but even if you break it, it is not structural.

I used my King Cab with a 23 turns brushed motor but keep in mind that I also used it with a 8.4V battery so the model was fast anyway. I remember it did wheelies sometimes and it had a lot of torque. The half shafts, the diff cups and the wheel axles felt it.

I don't know with modern brushless motors. Probably they are too powerful.

Max

15 minutes ago, kontemax said:

I used my King Cab as a barbarian with massive jumps, skate parks and so on and the chassis is strong. The weaker point is the front bumper mount but even if you break it, it is not structural.

I used my King Cab with a 23 turns brushed motor but keep in mind that I also used it with a 8.4V battery so the model was fast anyway. I remember it did wheelies sometimes and it had a lot of torque. The half shafts, the diff cups and the wheel axles felt it.

I don't know with modern brushless motors. Probably they are too powerful.

Max

I shall give a full report, as soon as my new tires arrive (:

• Like 2

@kontemax There's also an Ansmann transmission on the market that is cheap (15 €) and it worth the cost. 

Which one is this? 

Oh sorry this text was copied from Kontemax's post. I only found the transmission of the mad rat but this is discontinued and not as cheap as kontemax wrote. It looks like the RC10 transmission. But maybe there is another option. 

On 8/10/2016 at 3:42 PM, Flerbizky said:

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a set. Am pretty tempted myself. I did however, being born with 23 thumbs, manage to make this, in something like 3-4 hours with only a hacksaw, handhell drill and a couple of files.

Q7BNaC4.jpg

3 mm sheet of fibre glass, Couple of random spacers from the parts bin and Bobs your uncle (:

This is the tranny I got of off the Bay of Evil http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182118385784?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any other pics or info on how this worked out? I have an old KC and would love to be able to adapt some leftovers from my rc10gt brushless converted speed run car if possible. 

On 7/8/2017 at 1:09 AM, gearheadwilly said:

Any other pics or info on how this worked out? I have an old KC and would love to be able to adapt some leftovers from my rc10gt brushless converted speed run car if possible. 

Something here: 

Not much to it actually. 3mm fibre glass sheet cut to resemble the shape of the original bottom/motor plate (I bolted the original plate to the fibre glass and used that as a template instead of drawing - because I'm lazy). I believe there's a kit out there with the front mounts for the motor - I used some alu spacers I had in the spares box.