kontemax

TR-15T restoration and conversion.

Hi mates, some time ago I bought the relic of a TR-15T from a mate to use as a donor model for my Dyna Blaster.

The look of the TR-15T always actracted me with that white roll bar, I must admit, but I never liked GP models. On contrary, I always hated them. Smell, noise, dirt, smoke... no way.

Once received the box with all the parts I started to clean and to assemble them to have them all together and not free to get lost. Anyway, this TR-15T started to grow in me and now is officially another project to restore.

The purists will beat me but my intention is to covert it electric, I'm sorry.

I always liked the variations and I consider this model a variation of the Dyna Blaster so it worth to have some cures. Also the reversed gearbox is very curious.

The model was not complete, it missed all the engine, the tank, the radio gear, the wheels and the body plus a numerous minor parts missing. The top deck was not the FRP original one but has been made with an aluminum plate. All these are minor problems.

My plan is to create two new chassis plates, finish the research for missing parts and complete the restore.

Missing parts:

- Body.

- Stickerset. FOUND IT

- BK1 6 x 1.5 mm spacers (under the steering columns) x1.  FOUND IT

- BP4 Gearbox subplate (need a Hi-Def scansion). Thanks, Collin.

- Avante/Egress (25 mm long) columns x 4. FOUND THEM

- D4 Rear shock tower brace.

- D5 Bulkhead. FOUND IT 3D PRINTED

- F1 plate FOUND IT

- F5 Bumper FOUND IT

- BF1 6mm gray ball connector x 1. FOUND IT

- BF6 & BF7 Front & rear roll bars.

- BJ4 Damper mounts x 2. FOUND THEM

- BJ5 Stabiizer ball x 4. FOUND THEM

- BJ7 Ball collar x 3.  FOUND THEM

Can you help me?

Concerning the conversion I'm planning to custom draw the chassis plates and let Fibre-Lyte to realize them.
Another solution could be a Dyna Blaster bathtub chassis.

Another problem is the motor mount and I have two solutions:

1) Keeping the original 0.8 mm spur gear with open cover and create a separate motor mount for the electric motor.

2) Use a Dyna Blaster 0.4 mm spur gear and the Dyna Blaster spur gear cover that close everything. In this case I must realize a motor mount plate that is specular to the Dyna Storm/Blaster one and screw the motor on.

This is a long term project as all my projects.

Max

• Like 3

Ok, first pictures for this new project.

Currently I'm just cleaning the parts and, if I will mount the model, is because the parts will not be spread all around. The reason of this future mock up is because I need to collect some missing parts and, first of all, because I will replace the horrible aluminum plates to carbon plates that I will design for this project. So, in a second time, I must disassemble the model again to replace the new parts.

The first thing that I assembled is the gearbox. Some minor parts were missing, the differential balls were rusted, a couple of missing ball bearings... anyway now it is complete and assembled.

TR_15_T_002.jpg

This plate have to go.

You can see that the transmission is reversed so the spur gear is in the other side of the gearcase.

TR_15_T_001.jpg

This is one of the most fashinating things in this model. Infact the main shaft is different and the motor mount, that de facto is not a motor mount because you can't mount a motor on, is also totally different. The spur gear is 0.8 module. Would you keep it or would you replace it with a Dyna Blaster one? Opened pinion gear or fully enclosed one? Custom motor mount?

Mumble mumble...

The sub gearbox plate is missing. Can someone make a scan for me of this part please? So I can design it again?

Thanks.

Max

Ok mates, today I worked on the TR-15T and these are the progresses.
One of the first modification that I will do on this model is to mount an adjustable Ackermann link.

TR_15_T_003.jpg

I always hated the fixed Ackermann links so it will go away.
The following thing I did was to clean and mount the front shock tower.

TR_15_T_004.jpg

You can see the damage in the inside hole of the tower. Probably a big crash that has flexed the chassis that bumped against the inner of the shock tower.

The damper ball joints are unique in this model, don't know why, probably due the massive weight of the model I suppose. Anyway you can see them here. I need other two of them, for the rear shock tower. Can you help me please?

TR_15_T_005.jpg

The rear tower mount position is reversed compared to Dyna Storm and Dyna Blaster because the transmission case is reversed. The FRP rear shock tower has its own design and can't fit for the Dyna Blaster at difference with the front shock tower that fits.

TR_15_T_006.jpg

TR_15_T_007.jpg

The model arrived without the dampers, fortunately I had four of them taking dust and they will go on the car as soon as possible. In the future they will be replaced with some aluminum dampers, probably four Hi-Cap Dampers.

TR_15_T_008.jpg

This is a must have part for every Dyna Storm, Dyna Blaster and Super Astute owner. The TR-15T has all fiberglass reinforced plastic parts. They are gray and perfectly fit the models I mentioned above. This means that, if you have these parts, you forget the failures and breakages.

TR_15_T_009.jpg

Shame on Tamiya, the TR-15T was not provided of full ball bearing set. I fitted the ball bearings in the hubs as the company should do it.

TR_15_T_010.jpg

The universal joints and the hubs.

TR_15_T_011.jpg

The universal joints fit the Astute, Madcap, Egress, Dyna Storm and Dyna Blaster hubs but the lenght is shared only with the Dyna Blaster.

The rear blocks are in place. They are reinforced as all other plastic parts.

TR_15_T_012.jpg

Strangely the bumper is bigger but softer than the Dyna Blaster bumper.

TR_15_T_013.jpg

A new bumper is arriving, this one is too much scratched for a shelf queen.

TR_15_T_014.jpg

As I said before this chassis plate have to go, because is ugly and now for another reason.

TR_15_T_015.jpg

It's bent.

TR_15_T_016.jpg

My analysis above was correct. The previous owner made a big crash with this car.

The new carbon fiber plate will be a nice upgrade for this model.

And this one?

TR_15_T_017.jpg

Maybe the correct motor for a EP convertion, is it?

Max

Its looking good max , i may some of those sway bar bits floating around here.

If you find a source for decals let me know , mine is still missing moat of them lol

New updates today.

More parts are now assembled.

Front arms and bulkhead.

TR_15_T_018.jpg

As you can see the bulkhead is badly broken. This model arrived without bulkhead and, just to keep the parts all together, temporarly I mounted the old Dyna Blaster bulkhead that I broken on the track.

TR_15_T_019.jpg

Infact you can see that it is black and not gray. The reinforced bulkhead is a very yummy part but is very hard to find and I'm really sorry for this. I'll go for a reinforced 3D printed part.

Anyway, also the rear arms are ready to be assembled. The quality of the plastic is very good and they needed only four ball connectors.

TR_15_T_020.jpg

I also cleaned and polished the old battered chassis columns but it has been a useless work because these columns have to go.

TR_15_T_021.jpg

Infact they are 27 mm long and I need the 25 mm long for my new chassis. Some Egress columns will do the job for me.

The steering linkages are assembled again now, the steering columns had been polished and the missing spacer was found and is now in its own place. I yet not eliminated the fixed Ackermann link because I yet didn't find two more ball connectors. If you note I need also two 850 ball bearings.

TR_15_T_022.jpg

These are the remaining and useless parts of this project.

TR_15_T_023.jpg

Most of them are GP engine related so are useless for my electric conversion. They will go in a bag in my storage.

That's all for today.

Stay tuned!

Max

• Like 1

Starting to assemble the model.

As I said it's all temporary because in a second time, when I will have the time (and the money), I will split again all parts to replace the chassis plates. At the moment it's better have all together assembled, I'm loosing too many parts due my mess.

Here the completly assembled rear end.

TR_15_T_024.jpg

I miss the plate under the tower mount but it is on arrival from HK. At the moment I replaced it with a TA02 FRP spacer for rear tower.

Another missing bit is the FRP gearbox sub plate. I would like to replace it with a carbon fiber sub plate, I never liked the FRP.

Can someone please make an Hi-Def scan of this part for me? Any TR-15T owner here?

TR_15_T_025.jpg

The previous owner did cut one of the subplate mounts. Why???:wacko:

TR_15_T_026.jpg

Anyway, not a great damage, I'll do a better spacer, the damage is not structural.

Thinking about the motor mount:

TR_15_T_027.jpg

The more obviously solution seems to mount a reversed Dyna Blaster/Dyna Storm motor plate but this is not simply because the plate is not reversed but is mirrored. This means that the press nuts are in the wrong side of the plate. The Dyna Blaster spur gear cover can't be mirrored, obviously, but can only mounted upside down. This means that it doesn't fit.

TR_15_T_028.jpg

How can I solve this dilemma?

The black 0.8 module spur gear is bigger than the Dyna Blaster spur gear so it doesn't fit inside the spur gear cover.

At the end, no way.

TR_15_T_029.jpg

You can also note that the central hole is bigger in the Dyna Blaster motor plate and this is another problem. In fact the smaller hole in the TR-15T plate accomodates a flanged ball bearing that supports the longer TR-15T main shaft.

At the end there's only one solution, a custom made motor plate.

So, I'll keep the original design with 0.8 module open air black spur gear with the top gray cover. I will start to design, cut and file this new plate as soon as possible.

Max

Well mates, this projects seems go faster than my other ones but keep in mind that soon or later it will stop due the major costs or difficulties. Anyway, until it goes let's it go.

Yesterday night was very hard with my friends at the pub and I went to sleep at 6:00 o'clock, AM obviously.

So this morning I was not so happy when the postman rang my bell.

Fortunately there were not fares to pay but new TR-15T items:

TR_15_T_031.jpg

New tires and rims.

TR_15_T_032.jpg

Despite these are marked as Dyna Blaster rims they are easy to find thanks to the recent release of the Street Rover.

Another small parts that I didn't mandatory need but it costed few US$ so it will help me to have a better shelf queen:

TR_15_T_033.jpg

Another must have new part, from Hong Kong:

TR_15_T_035.jpg

The roll bar was scratched so a new one has been a good choice, considering that the roll bar is external to the body and in well sight.

And one of the most ruined and needed to be replaced part, the bumper.

TR_15_T_034.jpg

Now the missing parts (except the front bulkhead) are only little itrms like the roll bars, various ball connectors and so on.

Max

New updates, probably the last ones for a period.

The model is assembled now. As I said I will disassemble it again because I will scan the chassis plate and I will design them to realize new ones in carbon fiber sheets. This means that at the moment few things remain to do and I assembled all parts to have an order and don't loose them.

As you can see in the next picture the top plates are missing. The previous owner made them in a sort of brushed aluminum plate. The work is rough and the hole positions is not perfect. The top plates are also bent. The presence of these handmade parts and the lower plate bent confirms my hypotesis about a big crash of this model.

These parts have to go, no way they will survive to Kontemax.

TR_15_T_036.jpg

TR_15_T_037.jpg

The complete model is a good looker in my opinion, despite these orrible and bent plates.

I never liked the aluminumchassis plates because they are typical of the GP models and I hate GP models. They are rough, imho.

TR_15_T_037.jpg

TR_15_T_039.jpg

TR_15_T_040.jpg

I also will add some bling bling factor to this model because I believe that it deserves it. Some adjustable turnbuckles, some Hi-Cap dampers, some anodized nuts, the pink motor and so on. Can't wait to have the biggest bling bling factor, the new carbon plates but you (and me) must wait to see them in place, sorry. This project has been one of my faster projects but as I said now it will stop for some time.

The model has still some missing parts such as the anti-sway bars, the motor plate for the electric motor, the front bulkhead, the body and decals plus some minor bits. I hope to find quickly the missing parts and to have the money and the time for the carbon plates.

Max

• Like 2

It's been ages since I've seen a good old fashioned re-build thread (even longer since I've done one :o) Great work buddy, I'm enjoying this one :)

ps: don't be afraid to add a couple of washers here and there :lol:

TR-15T%20036_zpsgam8smd7.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chevelle said:

ps: don't be afraid to add a couple of washers here and there :lol:

Ahahahah! Thank you for your comment, it seems this thread doesn't interest many people.

As I said this assembling is a mock up, when finished these alloy parts will go directly in the trashbin.

Max

11 hours ago, kontemax said:

Ahahahah! Thank you for your comment, it seems this thread doesn't interest many people.

As I said this assembling is a mock up, when finished these alloy parts will go directly in the trashbin.

Max

I find it interesting ;) I've always had an attachment to the truck after a donated part from a tr-15t got my Dyna Storm closer to being healthy. Looking forward to more pics as your re-build goes along and of course the finished project !

• Like 1

On 8/25/2016 at 2:29 AM, kontemax said:

Max

Judging by the views, There a plenty taking an interest in this^_^ Though they may not post something, One could assume they (like me) are just appreciating a good rebuild thread :D Keep it going buddy :)

• Like 1

Hi Max, I'm loving your thread. Please don't stop. I love the tr-15t. I prefer it as a GP model but what you are doing is very interesting. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, magpie said:

on ebay any good for you,not mine.

tr-15t.jpg

Thank you, I've seen it.

Max

The model is disassembled again. The plates are at a friend of mine to be scanned.

Once scanned I will use them as a template and I will design the new chassis plates.

Stay tuned.

Max

• Like 3

Ok, more new to come this night.

I'm working on the  carbon fiber chassis plates. This is a very difficult work because I must measure the holes position with a great precision to avoid that the chassis will not mount. The lower plate is big and it will be expensive, I must not make mistakes and waste so many money.

I'm still thinking about the thickness of the lower plate, not sure if 2 mm or 2,5 mm. I believe that 2 mm is enough, don't you think?

Obviously more the thickness, higher the price.

TR_15_T_042.jpg

That's all for the moment.

Max

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kontemax said:

Ok, more new to come this night.

I'm working on the  carbon fiber chassis plates. This is a very difficult work because I must measure the holes position with a great precision to avoid that the chassis will not mount. The lower plate is big and it will be expensive, I must not make mistakes and waste so many money.

I'm still thinking about the thickness of the lower plate, not sure if 2 mm or 2,5 mm. I believe that 2 mm is enough, don't you think?

Obviously more the thickness, higher the price.

TR-15T%20042_zpstizrjlbs.jpg

That's all for the moment.

Max

I used 3mm fibreglass for my motor mount on the Monster Racer / King Cab. So far no issues, so I'd think 2.5mm carbon should be plenty strong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flerbizky said:

I used 3mm fibreglass for my motor mount on the Monster Racer / King Cab. So far no issues, so I'd think 2.5mm carbon should be plenty strong.

I believe that 2 mm is more than enough... ;)

0.5 mm more will be a nice extra but it will depend from the price.

Max