Kingfisher

Where/How do you store your cars?

TurnipJF's thread left me with more questions. Where do you keep all of your cars? How do you store them in between use? I ask because it's hard to have only one, and size comes into factor here when you have multiple. Currently, I am up to three cars with more to come (2 unbuilt at the moment), and am keeping them on the floor of a spare bedroom. 

Right now i have 3 cars and i only got back into rc not even a year ago. I keep them in my spare mancave/soare bedroom. I keep them in my shelves for my 4000 records because i also have dj equipment. They fit perfect in the ikea expedit shelves that do not hold records. My tools are in the closet and my screws and small parts are on my hutch at my desk in a parts tray. When i want to work on my cars i just take out a card playing table to set up

Not the floor ! Get some shelving - I have some IVAR shelving from Ikea - cheap and very adjustable.

Small parts are kept in plastic parts trays with adjustable dividers, larger parts such as trees in plastic boxes with lids.

Builds are done on the dining table - table has a thick felt & vinyl cover and on top of that I have an A0 cutting mat with a smaller A3 cutting mat on top to work on and keep the A0 cutting mat clean and for storing tools, completed sub assemblies, etc...

Keeping your models on the floor is asking for trouble - easily tripped over, stuff will get put on them or fall on them and they will get damaged.   

I've worked very hard to have a space that I can not only build custom motorcycles but also build and display my RC's B) I have a dedicated corner with proper shelving for my collection ^_^ 

TW602.jpg

• Like 13

I have an Ikea Expedit next to my workspace. The open squares hold my tools and bits, while on top I have 6 foam blocks holding them up. In the living room there's a small space for my M02 Alpine, CC01 and original Delta Integrale mounted on a (hugely incomplete) TT01.

The cars on top of the Expedit tend to be my runners, displayed with their wheels off the ground (or stored airtight and out of the sun somewhere), while the living room is reserved for what my wife calls "the pretty ones". (And yes, that means I have to meticulously clean the CC01 every time it's been outside)

• Like 1

Loft / Spare Room for non runners and the two heavy runners live in the garage now. 

Big industrial shelf in what should be my dining room. I don't get many visitors, anyway.

53A2BA16-26B8-4D1E-ACD1-63E5B70E4BE4_zps

• Like 3

This is how I do. I have these cars in the TV room and now in my bedroom, too (not a fan of having anything other than just the bed in my bedroom, though).

photo DSCN3628_zps7ba0669e.jpg

• Like 4

It's Ikea for me too.  I saw this last time I was there, I measured to confirm but I knew it was right.

IMG_20160716_185804_zpsbviz7oa2.jpg

• Like 4

About five years ago a friend gave me a steel cabinet for my 3 or 4 cars, now that my main focus is Tamiya, I need more space.

20160813_124432_zpsve1f3qf7.jpg

• Like 3

I have only one model, which lives in its box under the bed when not in use.

One day I'd like to have a setup like my colleague's. He and his wife have 30-something models between them, all displayed on a neat set of shelves that span a whole wall of their guest room. The models are grouped according to type and arranged in order of release date, and each sits on a little plastic stand that is labeled with the car's model name, chassis designation and nickname.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2016 at 5:59 AM, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Not the floor ! Get some shelving - y tripped over, stuff will get put on them or fall on them and they will get damaged.   

I know it's not the best place, but it's in a spare bedroom that we don't use, in the corner. The room is completely empty, except for the cars. It was only temporary placement until I come up with something better.

On 8/12/2016 at 7:26 AM, chevelle said:

I've worked very hard to have a space that I can not only build custom motorcycles but also build and display my RC's B) I have a dedicated corner with proper shelving for my collection ^_^ 

Impressive!

Thanks for all of the idea's everyone, and also thanks for allowing me to see just how you keep them. 

I found this image on the Internet when I started collecting. It's the best display I've seen, cheap, practical, and I think would avoid getting flat spots on the tyres too. There's something awesome seeing them hanging like this...don't know what it is but I like it. Hats off to this collector!

image.jpeg

• Like 8

12 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I have only one model, which lives in its box under the bed when not in use.

One day I'd like to have a setup like my colleague's. He and his wife have 30-something models between them, all displayed on a neat set of shelves that span a whole wall of their guest room. The models are grouped according to type and arranged in order of release date, and each sits on a little plastic stand that is labeled with the car's model name, chassis designation and nickname.

That sounds very interesting. Do you think your colleague would mind sharing a picture of that with us here in TC?

I currently have our third spare bedroom as my man cave lol, but no where near enough room, along with Rc's are scale models, tons of blurays and dvds, computer desk etc, and just started on my kossel 3d printer kit.

need more room lol, and if we have another kid will have no room!

I think most will agree the following :

Rule 1 - There must be shelf space for all your R/C's when not in use.

Rule 2 - If you have spare shelf space you don't have enough R/C's.

Rule 3 - If you have R/C's for which you have no shelf space then you need more shelves.

:D 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

I think most will agree the following :

Rule 1 - There must be shelf space for all your R/C's when not in use.

Rule 2 - If you have spare shelf space you don't have enough R/C's.

Rule 3 - If you have R/C's for which you have no shelf space then you need more shelves.

:D 

Never a truer list of rules.

17 hours ago, firefoxussr said:

It's Ikea for me too.  I saw this last time I was there, I measured to confirm but I knew it was right.

IMG_20160716_185804_zpsbviz7oa2.jpg

Nice cabinet. What's the name of it?

I use the same wall-mount bracket as Mongoose with some 40 degree angle brackets.  I made a big shelf that will fit 7 touring cars parked length-ways at a jaunty angle with special brackets to hold them in place.

IMG_20150823_112806483_zpseabsqo8t.jpg

Things are in a state of flux right now as I'm moving my hobby room out of the master bedroom and into a smaller room.  The TC shelf takes a lot of space so I may look at a simpler solution.  I love the "cars hanging on pegboard" idea, I already have all my garage tools in pegboard so I could happily do that, I also use narrow-mounted brackets to hold cars by the chassis which is space-efficient but sometimes cars will slip off, depending on chassis type.

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 7:44 AM, mongoose1983 said:

That sounds very interesting. Do you think your colleague would mind sharing a picture of that with us here in TC?

I'll ask him. :)