Kingfisher

Where/How do you store your cars?

Picked this up at Costco. They get them in every once in a while.

Curio2_zpsunhxiq2p.jpg

• Like 8

On 13 August 2016 at 7:12 AM, Lhodgo said:

I found this image on the Internet when I started collecting. It's the best display I've seen, cheap, practical, and I think would avoid getting flat spots on the tyres too. There's something awesome seeing them hanging like this...don't know what it is but I like it. Hats off to this collector!

image.jpeg

They would get tyre flat spots , Mind you only the rears would , as that's how they are hanging & how would

the rear arms go ? with all the cars weight on them . But great pic & would love to have them all :lol: . 

• Like 1

I'm sure there is a thread like this before . WIth some great ideas .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matman said:

I'm sure there is a thread like this before . WIth some great ideas .

this one? ...

I was just looking at it the other day, looking for ideas. My area is cramped and too hard to work in at the moment. But I have plan and should have a shed soon (for storage), so I can make more room downstairs for my cars and my sons lego.

this is where most of my cars live, there is a lot unseen packed into the shelves and into 2 large cupboards to the right (maybe 50 cars all up).

work_areas_august_2016-1.jpg

This is my current work area (panoramic shot of a 2 bay garage). My wife would prefer our cars where in here! but I've got to work somewhere :D I don't know if you can make it out, but I am starting to mobilise my work benches and tool carts. I have three so far, there are two the left, one is really hard to see in the far back left corner and has a mitre saw and band saw, plus soon a drill press. The second is more of a tool trolley. And the third is the vac former is mobile too (just off centre to the right).

work_areas_august_2016-2.jpg

• Like 5

I use Shelfing from the local Hardware store. I have about 10 4 shelf units. All cars are stored on top of paint can lids. All of the top shelf is non runners. Rest are organized into brands like Schumacher, Losi, Marui and of course my Tamiya's.  Cars that aren't on the paint caps are in my hobby room awaiting for work.  Any parts that I need are ordered then put on the shelf next the car so I know what parts are for what car.

P3290074_zps18365cb9.jpg

• Like 13

3 hours ago, MAD RACER said:

I use Shelfing from the local Hardware store. I have about 10 4 shelf units. All cars are stored on top of paint can lids. All of the top shelf is non runners. Rest are organized into brands like Schumacher, Losi, Marui and of course my Tamiya's.  Cars that aren't on the paint caps are in my hobby room awaiting for work.  Any parts that I need are ordered then put on the shelf next the car so I know what parts are for what car.

P3290074_zps18365cb9.jpg

Bunnings shelf's ?? & what size are they M8 .  Looks like i need to come over there , with a shopping cart & go 

MAD RACER RC wearhouse ( For great rc shopping )  , for great deals call Mad now :lol: ... 

• Like 3

You are too funny Matt.

The shelfs are from Bunnings. Bought over a period of time as my collection grew. They are Hammerlock design but not sure what Brand. Problem I had is the manufactory changed it's design over the years so they look a little different up close to some newer shelfs. Length is approx. 80cm long by 30cm deep.  chip board shelfs .Just big enough to hold a 10th scale on a paint cap.  6 Shelfs span the length of our garage .

Problem I have every time our panel lift door is open ( Wife's Car ) everyone can see them.  Oh well we have insurance

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MAD RACER said:

You are too funny Matt.

The shelfs are from Bunnings. Bought over a period of time as my collection grew. They are Hammerlock design but not sure what Brand. Problem I had is the manufactory changed it's design over the years so they look a little different up close to some newer shelfs. Length is approx. 80cm long by 30cm deep.  chip board shelfs .Just big enough to hold a 10th scale on a paint cap.  6 Shelfs span the length of our garage .

Problem I have every time our panel lift door is open ( Wife's Car ) everyone can see them.  Oh well we have insurance

You may need to keep the one's you don't want to lose in the house ? . Just in case they do , Hope no one takes them , B4

i get my run at it 1st :lol: ..  You just don't know who is looking :(  Sad really . 

Thanks for the size & place . When am i going to Bunnings i wonder :lol: . 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2016 at 3:49 AM, EddScott said:

A new place for my (mostly) NIB collection.

Nice collection. Any plans to build them?

On 8/18/2016 at 10:49 AM, EddScott said:

A new place for my (mostly) NIB collection.

29005841285_9403ed7dcc_c.jpg

I mean absolutely no offense (Whatever floats your boat). But i am interested as to why?

Surely the fun with these kits is building and running them (even if only once or twice). Where is the fun in owning a collection of NIB?

As i say. I AM NOT meaning offence or questioning your sanity. I am just curious.

• Like 1

This is my garage..

7AFE6ECB-ABA3-43F7-8CF5-9686DB496170.jpg

i only have 3 cars (at the moment), the lunchbox is shelfware while the beetle is for thrashing around. The TT02B MS will soon become a neo scorcher and take the place of the hovercraft on the top shelf. 

I don't have many spare screws or parts (which I need desperately) but will utilise the work bench more when I do.

previously they were behind the sofa or in the loft

im happy now and so is SWMBO

JJ

• Like 2

Here's how I store mine for now.

I plan to build them all when time allows.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

On 8/27/2016 at 4:49 AM, Plopes said:

Here's how I store mine for now.

I plan to build them all when time allows.

(pic)

Oh my, i didn't see all of your Lancia & Group B Rally cars until i zoomed the pic.   Respect!

• Like 1

On 23/08/2016 at 0:16 AM, richb77 said:

I mean absolutely no offense (Whatever floats your boat). But i am interested as to why? Surely the fun with these kits is building and running them (even if only once or twice). Where is the fun in owning a collection of NIB?

This has been discussed often, but I recently posted some babble about it here...

This mainly pertains to vintage kits.

It's valid to keep NIB reissues too, however, I suspect a lot more people are doing it more "consciously". A bit like all the people consciously collecting new release NIP Star Wars items, versus how almost nobody kept them NIP in the 70s/80s. Things tend to end up more rare/historic if fewer people thought of storing them during their popular years. Just the way life is.

Anyway, since some of you may not have seen these before, here are some fun ideas for kit storage...

1. Store your cars on a vast shelf.

getuserimage.asp?t=&id=img4964_010220090

2. Buy a warehouse, and store your cars on vast shelves there.

0,1020,1122790,00.jpg

3. Store them around your Ferrari.

getuserimage.asp?t=&id=img22062_01122009

etc.

As you can see, storing is easy ;)

• Like 5

On 18/08/2016 at 1:17 PM, MAD RACER said:

Our house was recently on the market, having open homes and your house advertised out on the roadside and on tv was not the one, so I know how you feel. Had to put a sign on the spare room door asking people just to poke their head in and keep door closed :(

• Like 1

On 9/1/2016 at 1:33 PM, berman said:

Our house was recently on the market, having open homes and your house advertised out on the roadside and on tv was not the one, so I know how you feel. Had to put a sign on the spare room door asking people just to poke their head in and keep door closed :(

My shop is off the back of the garage and the only access is through a vault like door, the windows have 12mm pressed nylon shutters :o I had thought if we were to sell our house, that only serious byers would get a look in :D We dont live in a theft prone area but I've worked hard to get everything in my shop, so I wanted to make it to hard just incase ^_^

Oh and I bet the spare room was the first place you looked after the inspection :P My shop is the first place I look after holidays :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

This has been discussed often, but I recently posted some babble about it here...

This mainly pertains to vintage kits.

It's valid to keep NIB reissues too, however, I suspect a lot more people are doing it more "consciously". A bit like all the people consciously collecting new release NIP Star Wars items, versus how almost nobody kept them NIP in the 70s/80s. Things tend to end up more rare/historic if fewer people thought of storing them during their popular years. Just the way life is.

Anyway, since some of you may not have seen these before, here are some fun ideas for kit storage...

1. Store your cars on a vast shelf.

getuserimage.asp?t=&id=img4964_010220090

2. Buy a warehouse, and store your cars on vast shelves there.

0,1020,1122790,00.jpg

3. Store them around your Ferrari.

getuserimage.asp?t=&id=img22062_01122009

etc.

As you can see, storing is easy ;)

I`m trying to wrap my head around the three nib blazing blazers and the 6 nib ranger xlts

I realize that it could sound a bit raw but I store my little cars (that are not so many as posted by many Tamiyaguys here) in cheap and tough Ikea boxes in the basement at my parents house. I don't know if, in a time, I will have room to store them in Venice... life can be hard.

On 01/09/2016 at 3:46 PM, chevelle said:

My shop is off the back of the garage and the only access is through a vault like door, the windows have 12mm pressed nylon shutters :o I had thought if we were to sell our house, that only serious byers would get a look in :D We dont live in a theft probe area but I've worked had to get everything in my shop, so I wanted to make it to hard just incase ^_^

Oh and I bet the spare room was the first place you looked after the inspection :P My shop is the first place I look after holidays :lol:

Fair enough mate, I don't blame ya! Yeah I did, I also went in there at 4.40am this morning during the 7.1 earthquake! Having second thoughts about having stuff on shelves :(

I store mine in vitrines, but haven't got enough space, so some also in boxes and on top of closets.

20160902_172000.jpg

• Like 7

On 1 September 2016 at 3:50 PM, jeekelemental said:

I realize that it could sound a bit raw but I store my little cars (that are not so many as posted by many Tamiyaguys here) in cheap and tough Ikea boxes in the basement at my parents house. I don't know if, in a time, I will have room to store them in Venice... life can be hard.

I have a heap of those boxes too, I use them to put my projects in. They are awesome as they are cheap, stackable and fit my cupboard shelves perfectly.

I started this thread less than a month ago. At that time, we had 1 car built and 2 waiting to be built. As of now, we have 4 built and 2.5 waiting to be built. It's time that I thank you all for your ideas and go run some wood through the table saw. :lol:

All of my vehicles are stored like this (I have only one new built on display, a Mountaineer). If it is NIB it is wrapped in brown packaging paper and placed on shelves.

img7434_716201622416_3.jpg