Ian_Gsi16V

Vintage Monster Beetle - A New Look

Good choice on going with the gray chassis. I like it. Will you be using the stock wheels and tires? I'm thinking a set of yellow Blackfoot wheels would look good with your color scheme.

On 9/7/2016 at 7:26 PM, RCcoachworks said:

Good choice on going with the gray chassis. I like it. Will you be using the stock wheels and tires? I'm thinking a set of yellow Blackfoot wheels would look good with your color scheme.

Thanks, I really like how it is coming together. Yes, just stock wheels and tyres, I don't disagree that the Blackfoot wheels would probably suit it well but I have the stock rims so they will be going on ;)

Little bit more work last night.

Steering servo fitted with a hi torque servo saver and hooked up to the arms.

gYrzXMj.jpg

Chassis completed last night :)

LiPo alarm placed where the old MSC would have been.

xQaQ2ek.jpg

Drilled through the shock mounts on the rear and attached with a screw and nut rather than the self tapper in to the plastic. 

aLohDzt.jpg

You can also see in this picture that I have used some old brass bushings to space out the battery holder to accommodate my Turnigy LiPo batteries. 

lJyiWdk.jpg

Decided to give my Superstock BZ one last go, last time I used it I wasn't very impressed as it seemed quite unreliable, happier to spend a bit more time working with it now, it fired up no problem though once I applied throttle which is something (in the past it needed a push to get going).

I still like the idea of getting a tame brushless system for it at some point. 

W5jJqPN.jpg

Wheels and tyres left then time for a shake down run :D 

• Like 2

So where did you get the servo saver and the arms + what length arms :huh:^_^

IMG_20160907_200155_zpsxyhtvdha.jpg

4 hours ago, chevelle said:

So where did you get the servo saver and the arms + what length arms :huh:^_^

300mm x 3mm threaded rod from ebay and Tamiya #51000 :)

• Like 1

And finish with a crash :lol: Perfect :D

Thanks for the info, Ordered :)

• Like 1

Also thought you may like this, When I rebuilt my Blackfoot I fabricated a single servo mount out of alloy B) It screws to the original servo mounts (with the rear mount  moved back towards the msc plate) it is fitted inside the chassis rails and so sits flush with the top of them ^_^ Then the servo is bolted to the plate :D

frspm2800x532.jpg

• Like 1

Great job on this Ian. Don't make it 100% or it will be another for the shelf. Plus you've got a perfect one to look at so I'd leave it just like it is and just do performance mods. I often fall into the trap of putting to much care and attention into my builds and then start thinking it would be a shame to scuff the shell and the decals or risk breaking this and that. I deliberately sprayed a shell a colour I didn't like, didn't mask the windows or apply decals just so I'd actually use it without a care in the world. That's just me though. :lol:

Glad you just went for different decals rather than respray the body too. Looks different but still has that bit of character.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys, gave it another run today and I must say, it runs fantastic. My 'shelfer' is pretty much full vintage and it always seemed like it was going to break apart in to 100 pieces, this seems nice and strong, ran it for half an hour and it was bouncing, rolling and doing great :D The superstock certainly doesn't perform like it should be it will do for now. 

Had a look at the central servo mounts, might get one if the current setup fails...

I have a video of it running on the field, will post it when it eventually uploads :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pumesta said:

Watch the wheelies they rip the rear wheel arches off

Will do bud, thanks. Don't have much experience driving the MB, my other one has always been a shelfer really :unsure:

This one is going to see some mud B)

The colour scheme works really well on your Monster Beetle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cesco said:

The colour scheme works really well on your Monster Beetle.

Cheers bud, can't really take credit for it as I just put some decals on it :)

After giving this a few runs, as predicted earlier in the thread, the Superstock BZ has died again, it was being whooped by my nephews Sport Tuned Lunchbox and a few minutes later it was running like it was 1987 on a 1200 Nicad :lol:

I expected it so not the end of the world, did a quick transplant earlier..

Gave it a try and much better, I have other motors knocking about but tbh for fair performance, run times and no maintenance I think the Sport Tuned is hard to beat (in brushed motors anyway). This is more than likely going to be running around woods and stuff so top speed isn't really important.

Definitly want to fit some led front lights soon :)

• Like 1

Seemed to silly to have my shelfer MB fitted with my allloy G1 part so swapped it on to my runner tonight. 

7wQeewV.jpg

Got some Frog Universals coming shortly, should have listened to everyone and just bought some the other week when I stripped the hex drives as I stripped the new set within one run :lol:

• Like 1

So these bits arrived today (well picked up from the post office)

oZZyjnu.jpg

Went out for a run and worked great! Very happy with it now, realised last night however that the the rear shocks and springs and incorrect so will look to fix that shortly, also going to be painting it soon, nothing to fancy but it doesn't look fun enough to me, needs some brightening up B)

6iB7LMs.jpg

1dCOawd.jpg

• Like 2

Might have overdone it - you've blown the !***! sunroof out  - looks like great dirty fun !!

• Like 1

man that looks great!!! makes me want to get a runner now :( I still havent even completed my shelf queen one either (scared of messing up the decals.....lol )

On 1/1/2017 at 7:05 PM, iluvmud said:

man that looks great!!! makes me want to get a runner now :( I still havent even completed my shelf queen one either (scared of messing up the decals.....lol )

I love running it, I was in the same boat as you, restored one a few years ago but too scared to damage it so this is perfect :)

A nice shot from today..

uVnrcUC.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Might have overdone it - you've blown the !***! sunroof out  - looks like great dirty fun !!

Don't mention the **** sunroof! Tried everything to get it to stick and it always fails! Who wants a sunroof on a monster truck anyway! 

Hoping to plastic weld it and smooth over during the upcoming body refresh :)