Ian_Gsi16V

Vintage Monster Beetle - A New Look

Testing out my new action cam. My first on board recording, at the minute the camera is just strapped on but I will be screwing the mount on.

• Like 2

Long and rather boring video from yesterdays run, was mainly just testing out my camera :)

If you could only keep one between the lunch box and the monster beetle which would it be?

1 minute ago, Terz1 said:

If you could only keep one between the lunch box and the monster beetle which would it be?

Well the Lunchbox is my nephews so I have never really used it for more than a couple of minutes every now and again but if I wanted a reliable basher then Lunchbox all day, I have never known a car like it for taking endless abuse! He got it when he was 4 and is 11 now and it has never suffered an issue to stop it running :o 

Personally though I have always loved the Monster Beetle, mainly the way it looks though! 

• Like 1

Yes the lunch box is great fun and soo tough too. I've got a blackfoot which is the same as you know and a lunch box. Just have so much more fun with the lunch box. Still love my blackfoot though.

Just now, Terz1 said:

Yes the lunch box is great fun and soo tough too. I've got a blackfoot which is the same as you know and a lunch box. Just have so much more fun with the lunch box. Still love my blackfoot though.

TBH I should have bought a Lunchbox really but I wanted a restoration project and this popped up. Since I fitted the Frog Universals it's been great. Next job is a fresh paint job when the weather warms up ^_^

I never really enjoyed running my box art MB, it always seemed far too fragile but a few upgrades on this one and it's awesome! 

• Like 1

Suspension has been noticibly poor lately. I'm thinking I must have skipped rebuilding it when I stripped and cleaned this, no idea why! It's been squatting when running with pretty much no rebound it seemed. 

Anyway, rebuilt them this weekend, just stripped, cleaned, and ensured they all matched (as they where mismatched) 

IPXlvHV.jpg

Seems quite unbelievable that a Monster Beetle is now my most reliable runner :lol:

You can try to paint a plastic scrap piece first to see if the paint will match sometimes you get lucky. May not 100% exact shade but sometimes it will be close enough.. 

• Like 1

I was giving the body of this a wash a couple of weeks ago and the nose cone fell off, at this point, instead of screwing it back on I started on my project to give it a new look :) 

Body flatted.

BqxGpQM.jpg

CtM62as.jpg

All primed

tvVLkBS.jpg

Getting to the fully primed took a fair amount of work, one of the rear arches was constantly reacting and blistering. Luckily there was very little purple / silver on the body and the previous owner hadn't primed it so removing the paint back to the original black was easy enough. 

Base coat done, went on very nice. 

cAxCG7f.jpg

Lacquered

keYRr3w.jpg

JoPjUN9.jpg

NZRAgNn.jpg

I'll be giving it a few days to fully harden before giving it a flat and polish but I am very happy with it, looks awesome and is exactly what I wanted - a nice bright bug!

• Like 4

Gave the chassis a quick clean tonight as thought it would be wrong to fit my fresh body to it caked in mud. 

sZKSR5a.jpg

Couldn't resist placing the body to see how it looks, i love it :D

V8vqs14.jpg

uxljGcr.jpg

• Like 5

I really enjoyed this thread and seeing your progress. Looks like you're having great fun with your Monster Beetle! Looking forward to seeing your finished color scheme and new decals/look!

• Like 1

Had it out in the sun today to ensure its fully cured before body build up and decals this evening :)

M2afbLx.jpg

HFcNcaO.jpg

• Like 4

Following the changes over the last few weeks I took it out today for its maiden run as the sun was shining :D So, to recap it´s had..

• Suspension rebuild
  • Superstock BZ stripped, cleaned and refitted
  • Body refresh

It ran great, handling is now much improved with the refreshed suspension and the Superstock was running great, very punchy :)

I applied a few decals last night, I have decided against adding the full boxart livery as I just really like the colour and I don´t want to hide it away! I purchased some rubber pin protectors to hopefully stop the body getting damaged when being ran. The rear lights still need work as I messed them up the first time. Only casualty today was the rear number plate but I knew that wouldn´t last long tbh. Oh, one thing I have noticed is that the Re Re window glass is a terrible fit, just a shame my original full window piece is in such terrible condition but overall I am absolutely loving the new look :D

Some pictures 

C7VNi1p.jpg

1GoqOKq.jpg

xCENOzh.jpg

ZvVRvu5.jpg

3F93kLs.jpg

87e1QDd.jpg

uS7LXsj.jpg

• Like 4

That new color is beautiful. Green is my favorite, and that's such a pretty shade of it. It matches with the rest of it really well too. Great job! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loco_oso said:

That new color is beautiful. Green is my favorite, and that's such a pretty shade of it. It matches with the rest of it really well too. Great job! 

1 hour ago, NWarty said:

Looks beautiful!

Thanks guys, this shade of green is one of my favourite colours and it's turned out just how I hoped :D

3 hours ago, Ian_Gsi16V said:

Oh, one thing I have noticed is that the Re Re window glass is a terrible fit, just a shame my original full window piece is in such terrible condition

Mine has had super glue spilt on it and now has white 'runs' on it :( . But I still can't bring myself to fit a re re one.  

8 hours ago, Pumesta said:

Mine has had super glue spilt on it and now has white 'runs' on it :( . But I still can't bring myself to fit a re re one.  

I'm going to keep going at trying to restore my original one, it's never going to be perfect but the new one is awful :blink:

Managed to find the time to redo the rear lights after my disatourous first attempt :lol:

I've also removed the boot handle as it's only going to end up getting snagged or snapping off, i think it looks alright with just the sticker tbh and is certainly more 'runner mode' :)

Also refitted the VW badge.

g6j7n0y.jpg

1GoqOKq.jpg

• Like 1

Looks ace Ian, tasteful decals for a runner, never did like the red MB, this however ;)

• Like 2

Superstock BZ died again today so that's that done now, refitted the Sport Tuned for now and I'm gonna to look into a new motor, want something around the same performance as the SS so it anyone has any ideas, feel free to suggest :)

Wj1pr3y.jpg

When my super stock motors die, just take apart, clean comm and fit new brushes (approx £5), good as new!?

• Like 1