Ian_Gsi16V

Vintage Monster Beetle - A New Look

How long does the motor last for you?

My thundershot gets easily 30+hours on a set of brushes...

(I always allow motor to cool between brushes so not to accelerate wear)

Have you thought about brushless motors???

I have a Tamiya in my Frog and a Turnigy Trackstar in my Bush Devil.  They work great, IMO...

Terry

1 hour ago, taffer said:

When my super stock motors die, just take apart, clean comm and fit new brushes (approx £5), good as new!?

Tried that, it worked great for a while but after a handful of runs it's dead again which is a shame as it's a great motor for the MB but to expensive to replace. It's been an ongoing issue for years :(

• Like 1

My superstock bz did the same exact thing last year. Before I went brushless in my dt-03t i had it in it and it just died. Then it would work then die for a few minutes, then start up again.  The motor maybe had 5-6 packs throughit. I took it apart, worked then died again. No rhyme or reason. Then i put it in my monster beetle recently it was doing the same thing. I finally said screw it got a super stock rz for $23 on amazon. 

• Like 1

Yes! That is the exact symptoms of mine! Sadly, in the UK all the Superstock motors are now very costly, for the same price I could probably get a brushless system which is a shame as I wanted to stay retro on this model :(

This got a nice run yesterday with the Sport Tuned. It's never going to set the world on fire but it's reliable and probably is enough power for the chassis. 

PXtusz7.jpg

HGr2eeH.jpg

caEXZ7I.jpg

iUEILpL.jpg

Got my first bit of damage on the new paint during the last run, it's happened now so it's back to carefree running :P

• Like 1

On 05/05/2017 at 4:31 AM, Ian_Gsi16V said:

IMG_20170504_184107_zpshnekcmac.jpg

Got my first bit of damage on the new paint during the last run, it's happened now so it's back to carefree running :P

She looks great in that colour. 

It sounds odd but I enjoy getting the first scratch out of the way too... it frees you up!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, njmlondon said:

She looks great in that colour. 

It sounds odd but I enjoy getting the first scrath out of the way too... it frees you up!

Thanks, I really love the colour, very happy I followed through with the idea!

I know what you mean, once the first one has happened, after that its just another to add to the character :D

It is just a toy after all :P

• Like 1

On 5/2/2017 at 3:43 AM, Ian_Gsi16V said:

Yes! That is the exact symptoms of mine! Sadly, in the UK all the Superstock motors are now very costly, for the same price I could probably get a brushless system which is a shame as I wanted to stay retro on this model :(

So today my superstock rz is doing the same exact thing as the bz. It stopped working. I thought it was the esc. Switched that out still the same thing, worked for about 30 secs then dead stop. I took it apart put it in my tt02b ms just to see. Same thing worked for a min, then lost some power then dead stop nothing. I will never buy another tamiya brushed motor. The Rz had about 7-10 packs through it. 

6 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

So today my superstock rz is doing the same exact thing as the bz. It stopped working. I thought it was the esc. Switched that out still the same thing, worked for about 30 secs then dead stop. I took it apart put it in my tt02b ms just to see. Same thing worked for a min, then lost some power then dead stop nothing. I will never buy another tamiya brushed motor. The Rz had about 7-10 packs through it. 

:( That's not good bud, did you buy it brand new? Maybe get it refunded? I came to the same conclusion as you, I would never buy another Tamiya performance motor again! 

4 hours ago, Ian_Gsi16V said:

:( That's not good bud, did you buy it brand new? Maybe get it refunded? I came to the same conclusion as you, I would never buy another Tamiya performance motor again! 

Yes bought it brand new from japan for $22 shipped. It won't even be worth for me to ship back for a refund. I dont want to go brushless in the beetle so i will try some other motors. 

Just now, Rb4276 said:

Yes bought it brand new from japan for $22 shipped. It won't even be worth for me to ship back for a refund. I dont want to go brushless in the beetle so i will try some other motors. 

I've gone back to my Sport Tuned and tbh, it's not *that* much slower than the BZ but it gives good run times and they seem to take abuse extremely well .

Here is mine with the Sport Tuned, probably fast enough for an ORV truck...

• Like 3

Been through the thread and updated the picture links. 

No news on the Beetle, wanted to use it this weekend just gone but never got around to it, sadly the only update is that after sitting in the garage for two months it now has coating of dust on it, just needs a good beach run to blow it off I think! 

Pulled this out of the garage at the weekend as it was looking very sorry for itself. Can't really tell on the picture but it was covered in muck and dust and all the rubber body pin savers had snapped :unsure:

H8ibCq4.jpg

Gave it a good clean up, removed the steering arms to cut down as they have always been a little long, that'd done now so they just need refitting.

Almost ready to run again :) 

nasbZaV.jpg

• Like 1