Ian_Gsi16V

Vintage Monster Beetle - A New Look

Spotted this for sale last week and had the impulse to buy it :lol: Arrived today :)

oZqC1aM.jpg

The plan for this is to make it 100% runner, when it is not running it will live in the garage so build is purely designed around reliability.

I have given it a quick once over and made a list of bits that it needs, my idea is that this will be used over the winter when we have mud / rain etc where my quick Blitzer will be no good so I kind of want to try and stagger the build if possible but I really want to get it running ASAP :lol:

Plans are as follows:

• Add missing bits
  • Replace any broken bits and add new gears
  • Uprate a couple of bits like the servo saver and gearbox support plates from the chap on here. 

It has an uprated 27T motor in it for now so no plans for drive train upgrades until I have used it, may well go for a mild brushless setup simply for the reliability. 

I was originally thinking about painting the body again but that is certainly on the back burner for now, I don't want it to end up like my other MB that I am scared to use :lol:

If anyone has any MB / Blackfoot spares then please check the Trade section for my wanted add ;)

• Like 1

Oh please don't repaint the body, Maybe just replace the decals for a new look ^_^

tamiya_monster_beetle.jpg

MonsterBeetleRedYellow.jpg

Did you guys miss the bit where I said this will be a through and through runner :lol:

Already have this on the shelf ^_^

ZfSEULm.jpg

• Like 1

LOL, Just saying ;) Hey where are the rear lights off your shelfer?

11 minutes ago, chevelle said:

LOL, Just saying ;) Hey where are the rear lights off your shelfer?

Still in my spares box....I screwed up painting them when I painted it a few years ago and haven't got around to fixing them yet :lol:

I say leave the body as is.  That way who cares if it scratches or cracks, and I think it looks cool.

Terry

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

I say leave the body as is.  That way who cares if it scratches or cracks, and I think it looks cool.

Terry

This is my thinking :) I have no doubt I will do something with it at some point but hopefully not straight away......

Part buying has begun :D 

On holiday next week but hoping to come home to a nice little selection of bits and bobs :D 

Started on my plan for the body, beginning by taking off all the random stickers, actually quite like the sticker bomb style on it so they are staying on, paint job is actually pretty decent, still needs a clean :)

hdYNdPY.jpg

HhSdxpD.jpg

• Like 2

New rubber sealed bearing arrived along with the gearbox strengthening plates from @mheald:)

Parts trees with probably be ordered in the next week or two and very much considering trying out my first digital and wheeled controller on this! 

That body has so much character! Leave it be and run the snot out of it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Theibault said:

That body has so much character! Leave it be and run the snot out of it. 

That's the plan :)

• Like 2

Well, nice collection of new bits and bobs are now on their way to me, should have it all by early next week :)

Edit - Just picked up some more pieces, definitely time to stop now :lol:  Pretty sure I have everything needed for Beetle Runner Build Phase 1 :D

Edited by Ian_Gsi16V
Bought more stuff!

On 31/08/2016 at 8:04 PM, Ian_Gsi16V said:

Edit - Just picked up some more pieces, definitely time to stop now :lol:  Pretty sure I have everything needed for Beetle Runner Build Phase 1 :D

I love the ORV chassis but it can become a bit of a money pit by the time you get them half reliable and fix all the wore out bit

• Like 1

On 9/3/2016 at 9:24 PM, Pumesta said:

I love the ORV chassis but it can become a bit of a money pit by the time you get them half reliable and fix all the wore out bit

Yep, certainly! I probably could of gone and bought a brand new re-re but for me, the fun is stripping, cleaning, fixing and then running. Buying brand new, chucking it together in a couple of hours doesn't really appeal to me tbh. 

Body has had a minor facelift, I would of liked some vintage decals but tbh, I got these mainly as they put me over the free postage price bracket on an order, I think they look good :D

cufrq4s.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ian_Gsi16V said:

Yep, certainly! I probably could of gone and bought a brand new re-re but for me, the fun is stripping, cleaning, fixing and then running. Buying brand new, chucking it together in a couple of hours doesn't really appeal to me tbh. 

Same here, although my MB frustrated the life out of me.  I still have a few bit to do to it, but had to put it to one side and work on my BF Xtreme just to keep me sane.  My MB was in a lot worse shape than yours when I got TBH.

Just now, chevelle said:

k13036779.jpg

Thanks! 

It actually looks much better in person, pictures haven't come out very well.

Chassis cleaning and build tomorrow hopefully : D

Chassis cleaning and started the build today. 

As it was...

YXNn0NK.jpg

One stripped Beetle..

dkpOKel.jpg

And going back together..

3tt4kHx.jpg

Ad9SatJ.jpg

QjELhbE.jpg

glcbjN0.jpg

As is quite obvious, I ditched the red chassis, not really a fan of the red unless the body is red, figured the grey would work better and I think I was right. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kontemax said:

I agree with you.

I would replace the nosecone.

Max

How do I match the silver on a body that I didn't paint and bought secondhand.... ..

If I ever decide to repaint the body then yes, a MB nosecone would be fitted as I have the spot lights and decals but until then I think I am bit stuck tbh.