JoFan

Toyota Hilux Monster Racer Project Idea?

18 minutes ago, RiZZa said:

Wow is all I can say. Makes the Vajra look like a dunger. 

Thanks! I hope it drives as awesome as it's starting to look.

I found a solution to the axle problem, too. Digging around in the spares that came with the car, I noticed I had some other universals. So I took them apart, and attached a rear stub axle to a front dog bone, and....

24033D6E-C00B-4CF2-8646-803947AE5761_zps

The RPM wheels came with hexes. I snipped out one side, so I could insert the pin from the outside, and mount it in reverse. One washer was all it took to take the slop out of it. The result:

1D341B70-9D69-43FC-9BFF-6B58C5476628_zps

Full thread engagement! All the way to the nylon lock. 

• Like 2

Spent some time cleaning up my workspace, but found a little bit of time to work on the Hilux. Got the body mounted finally. Got tired of waiting on the wing mounts to show up, and I had started to kind of doubt how strong the  body would be with such narrow mounts. So I made my own.

925CD84E-9541-48EC-B3D1-463F5EF09F96_zps

Crazy simple piece of angled aluminum, with some body posts from one of my Axial kits. Going to have to drill and new lower hole, and them trim them, but the work out ok. Puts me in mind of the stadium truck conversions, from the early 90's.

F3C5CDC5-3D3B-4090-BE58-A1B60A87490D_zps

It's really starting to look the part now. The bumpers should complete the look. Now it's time to start tearing it down and cleaning all the hair out of this thing. It was a carpet racer in it's former life. Gonna get dirty now!

• Like 4

It has been a long afternoon.

C39C7DC1-4F78-4627-B66B-1850BA84FB31_zps

Did I mention I hate masking and painting? And that I'm no good at multi-color paint schemes? Well, I thought all the stuff on the Hilux was vinyl. Boy was I wrong.

Ok, I'm not done with the decals, but I'm having to quit for the night before I screw it up too badly. 

21339DA8-C673-4273-95E5-0979B977EB61_zps

The paint is far from perfect, but thankfully the decals hide most of my poor masking skills. When I got the package today that had them, I just got too excited and had to see how it turned out.

• Like 6

Coming along nicely JoFan! Love those wheels and I've heard the tyres they put on the original monster racer don't last very long so you've skipped the step of replacing those. No doubts this will out perform the original and have more available spares and hop ups. 

Looking forward to seeing how the project goes.

Oh when it's finished you should build it's brother the nissan king cab. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks you guys! I really appreciate the compliments.

8 hours ago, Terz1 said:

Oh when it's finished you should build it's brother the nissan king cab. ;)

I just might, if I can find another deal on a roller like this one. That would be really cool to have the pair of them running side by side!

I'm cleaning up the chassis right now, and it actually hasn't been bad at all. Universals are a bit grimy, and the bearings are dirty. That's been about it. Rebuilding the regular-bore aeration shocks on the rear, too. Seems a bit odd to have the big-bores in front, so I may swap them out. I actually didn't realize there was a difference until I got them in the mail. Oops. Gives me a chance to put a spacer in there and drop the front down a bit like it should be, though. Goal is to at least start mounting electronics tonight, but we'll see if I get that far.

Need to get the bench cleared off for the next project that arrives tomorrow, that I'm really excited about. It's technically R/C, but it has six legs instead of wheels....