AndyjcClod

TB-LE 02-S esc Confused - Lipo or no lipo??????

It’s worth remembering both cutoffs and alarms will be set off when the voltage “momentarily” drops below the threshold. If your over geared or have high current and it exceeds the capability (C rating) of your battery (or your pack has a dud cell or is old and tired, or you forgot to check the charge worked properly or charged it at all.) momentarily then potentially the low voltage alarm or cutoff can be triggered before your even half discharged. In reality this means either the voltage cutoff is too high (like 3.4-3.5v is still quite high as far as cutoffs go in terms of momentary load) or your battery is just not up to the job. Get a bigger better one.

• Like 1

Also the older your pack is, the higher its Internal Resistance grows. So when you apply high current drain the old pack's voltage will dip more under heavy load than when that pack was brandnew.

I realize this is an old topic, but I did want to ask those who are running LiPo batteries with a TBLE-02S, what "C" rating are you using?

I'm trying to decide between a 20C or 50C LiPo battery (both are 5000mAh 2S).  The price difference is significant between the two, but based on the numbers the less expensive 20C pack's 100A continuous discharge rate should be more than adequate to be used with the TBLE-02S' 60A continuous draw.

TIA!

20c 5000 plenty on tble-02s. 

the esc should overheat before you could damage the battery pack from over current. 

just keep in mind it doesn’t cutoff until Under 3.0v per cell which is slightly on the low side for lipo. Just remember to stop driving as soon as the pack dumps or loses significant power. if you can’t do that get a lipo cutoff alarm. 

Always recharge (or discharge) to 3.8-4.0v per cell within 12-24hrs of use for storage. Failing to store lipo’s with a storage level charge is the main reason Lipo packs die. Always check your packs voltage when your finished using them for the day and return to a storage voltage level. 

storing lipos flat or fully charged for extended periods will kill the battery. 

2 hours ago, Juls1 said:

20c 5000 plenty on tble-02s. 

the esc should overheat before you could damage the battery pack from over current. 

just keep in mind it doesn’t cutoff until Under 3.0v per cell which is slightly on the low side for lipo. Just remember to stop driving as soon as the pack dumps or loses significant power. if you can’t do that get a lipo cutoff alarm. 

Always recharge (or discharge) to 3.8-4.0v per cell within 12-24hrs of use for storage. Failing to store lipo’s with a storage level charge is the main reason Lipo packs die. Always check your packs voltage when your finished using them for the day and return to a storage voltage level. 

storing lipos flat or fully charged for extended periods will kill the battery. 

Thanks for the reply.  I'll go with the 20C pack for this particular build.

As for the low voltage cut-off, I'm aware the TBLE-02S isn't ideally set up for LiPo for that reason.  I've seen a hack online for the TBLE-02S to make it LiPo friendly by altering it's low-voltage cut-off point, but I'm nowhere near skilled enough with a soldering iron for that sort of mod.  Instead, I'm going to be running this particular vehicle (a Tamiya DT-03 Racing Fighter) with a RadioLink R6GS Version 2 transmitter with R7FG receiver.  This receiver allows for on-vehicle battery monitoring.  The transmitter itself has a low-voltage alarm that can be set to go-off when the battery within the vehicle gets to a specified level.  I may even add an additional on-vehicle LiPo alarm as well just as an added piece of insurance (they're cheap and don't add much weight or complexity).

This is going to be my first "big boy" LiPo battery pack so I've been watching several videos on YouTube about charging, use, and general maintenance of LiPos.  Very different from the NiMh and NiCad batteries I'm used to.

Thanks again for the reply and the tips.  Cheers!