Sign in to follow this  
Kingfisher

M-06 - Why do the rear tires toe so much?

I'm building the M-06 Alfa Romeo Sprint. Why do the rear wheels toe so much? The only adjustment is for camber, and while I have not dialed that in yet, have I done something wrong? It seems like there is an excessive amount of rear toe. If this is normal, are there any options, hopups, or workarounds to adjust it? I've built it with bearings instead of bushings, the hex adapters are perfectly aligned with the pins, and the wheels are bolted on straight with the hex adapters.

29089193701_1323e40288_b.jpg

Normal or not, toe-in on the rear wheels will help with straight-line stability, and it is a popular modification for touring car racers.

Alternatively: how much play is there in the assembly? I had problems with toe-in and toe-out on some models before realizing that it was just worn components...

• Like 2

The M-06 has a lot of rear toe in as part of the design. You are not building it wrong - it is meant to be that way. From what I gather, it is one of the things that make it handle better than its predecessor the M-04.

• Like 2

No, you've not built it wrong, that's normal.  Buy Hop-Up 53345 which is designed to add toe-in to TL01/M03, swap the rear uprights over and it'll correct it back to zero.  Just done that on my M06 Pumpkin.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Grastens said:

Normal or not, toe-in on the rear wheels will help with straight-line stability, and it is a popular modification for touring car racers.

Alternatively: how much play is there in the assembly? I had problems with toe-in and toe-out on some models before realizing that it was just worn components...

No worn parts, it's a brand new kit. I understand how toe affects handling in a real car. This just looked a bit extreme to me and I was curious if something was wrong. You all say that it's correct, so it's a learning experience for me in RC. Thanks for the response.

5 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

The M-06 has a lot of rear toe in as part of the design. You are not building it wrong - it is meant to be that way. From what I gather, it is one of the things that make it handle better than its predecessor the M-04.

Thanks! Good to know.

1 hour ago, StrokerBoy said:

No, you've not built it wrong, that's normal.  Buy Hop-Up 53345 which is designed to add toe-in to TL01/M03, swap the rear uprights over and it'll correct it back to zero.  Just done that on my M06 Pumpkin.

Thanks! I'll take note of this info and experiment in the future. 

Toe-in or not toe-in, THAT is the question...

Sorry, could not resist. Please excuse me.

Without the toe in it would be impossible to drive it fast consistently. Fitting m05/6 rear uprights to a m03 transforms it too from a tail happy steering monster into a racey agile corner weapon. 

• Like 2

Aggressive toe-in is preferable to toe-out on a rear-biased car. 

When I got my Cup Racer, I converted it from 225 to 210 mm by flipping the rear a-arms.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize you have to swap them side to side.  My first experience driving it  was constant traction rolling, couldn't even make it through a corner, everyone had a good laugh at it on the track that day :lol:.   And it was marginally towed out.

On 23/8/2016 at 11:35 AM, StrokerBoy said:

I know, old post. But still valid :-)

Will the alterations mentioned (swapping the uprights) have any effect on the overall handling of the M06?

Thanks.

At a guess, I'd say it would make it handle abominably.

The M-04 was typically regarded as a very tricky car to master. One of the things that Tamiya did to improve matters was to add more rear toe. Putting it to zero, i.e. LESS than the M-04, would presumably make it even more difficult to handle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

At a guess, I'd say it would make it handle abominably.

The M-04 was typically regarded as a very tricky car to master. One of the things that Tamiya did to improve matters was to add more rear toe. Putting it to zero, i.e. LESS than the M-04, would presumably make it even more difficult to handle.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Ok, so the M04 did have rear toe-in. I did not know this. By how much? Say 0.5 degree?

Not sure how much, but yes, it did have toe-in at the rear, hence the rear uprights being marked L and R for left and right. If it was neutral (0 degrees), they would be symmetrical and hence interchangeable left to right as they are on the TL-01 for example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

Not sure how much, but yes, it did have toe-in at the rear, hence the rear uprights being marked L and R for left and right. If it was neutral (0 degrees), they would be symmetrical and hence interchangeable.