Dojo Dave

Why can't I sell my cars?

So, I find myself in a circular mode of thinking, I decide I'm going to sell some cars, usually its one or the other of my Original Wild Willys` and so I look at them and I start to take pictures and then I think of a price, and then I put it back on the shelf and say "uck sure I'll just keep it for a while longer". And buy another one Whiskey Tango Foxtrot....

I have a collection that is sitting, some were for fix up and sell others are my pride and joy, I want, and should sell some but cant bring myself  to do it, anyone else?

Dave 

• Like 2

I look at what they sell for and what they owe me and think I might as well just stick them in the loft.

I showed my buddy my Tundra high lift, he liked it so much he went and bought a full size one, lol. I just get wrapped up in the process of creating,  can`t let them go, like a painting so eone wants to buy but artist wont sell 

Same here.  I've got a big collection of street cars built purely to sit on the shelf (actually they were built for a low-budget movie that was never made, but I was going to keep them as shelfers to remind me of the part I had in making the movie happen.  Which it didn't).  Now they pretty much remind me of something I got totally excited by and then let slip away because other things came into my life, because it was too expensive, because it was too much hard work, because it was doomed to fail.*

So I have all these cars sat on my shelf that I will never use, and that mean nothing to anyone but me.  Can I sell them?  In truth I actually bought in a few street cars to help bolster the collection and promptly sold them when the movie didn't happen, so people do buy street cars, and they pay reasonable sums.  But for some reason, although the movie never happened, I still feel more attached to these cars than I have any right to.  Every time I think about cutting down my collection, I think about some of the projects I haven't finished or some of the NIBs I haven't opened yet, and not the ones that are actually taking up space and have no future in my life.

Weird, huh?

*I advise you to imagine a melancholy violin theme playing while reading this paragraph :D

I have an easy time selling vintage chassis but not the bodies.   To me the tech gets old but then the licensing runs out.  

I want to buy several 90s Tamiya bodies just to use, but alas the litigious nature of modern graphic design/industrial design keeps new copies from becoming available.

It's hard enough to get an RC body into production without having to get permission from the livery trademark owners.  They do realize it's free advertising on a model car, right?

I just can't even imagine the conversation about the Taisan Porsche and how it can't be reissued with the livery that would have taken place at Tamiya HQ.

Yeah, I don't sell cars. I've sold maybe 3 in my entire hobby life and still regret all 3 sales to this day. I think I might have to buy a bigger house in like 10 years. ;)

• Like 2

I've never really been able to sell - the only way I can get rid of them is to trade for something else...

I have put my NIB Tundra up for sale. Not sure I will ever get around to building it so it might as well get gone.

Built stuff is hard to shift, to many memories involved in the builds

I stopped trying to sell cars too. There's a handful I have that could go. I take them down, look at them, remember they still make me happy even if they're retired at the moment, and put it back on the shelf. Plus, I never know when I'll get reinvigorated about a certain platform and put it back into service. I do feel a little guilt from having so many. I struggle to be more minimalistic as I don't want to be buried under my material possessions as so many Americans are. Then I remember the absolute pain it is to sell (especially locally), the ridiculous low ball offers I get (like $20) and then I'm OK keeping with everything.

I too enjoy the build, but not the shelf part so much. I usually build a kit let it sit a few months, and then a bug hits me to sell and build something else. Recently though I did rather poorly selling a few kits and just said enough finally of the sales. I'll just keep them, enjoy them, and run them. My most recent build was a Fire Dragon, one of the ugliest RC's I have ever seen., looks like a Nikko with all the different colored parts. But its grown on me now so it will have a home.

• Like 2

I know of a collector who told me a couple of years ago that his new mantra was "Never sell anything", particularly vintage items. This is due to their increasing scarcity, and the risk of not finding them again if you change your mind later. So the first step is to think long and hard about whether you might ever regret letting something go.

When it comes to actually selling and getting a price that makes it worthwhile and not feel like a terrible loss, well...

Nothing will guarantee a sale. But I feel strongly that the only way to stand a chance of getting a good price and not ending up disappointed, is to put effort into your items first. I am amazed, daily, by a lot of Tamiya things I see on eBay. Many amazing vintage cars sell for well below their best possible value, either because they were simply dirty, the photos were poor, or the seller thought a couple of incoherent sentences would do for a description. Or they just threw the item up for bidding. Bidding auctions are no longer any good for sellers, except in rare cases, and should be avoided wholesale in my opinion

• Like 1

Things you own end up owning you.

pick up your skirts, grab your proverbials and do the deed :)

ive no problem selling cars, I spent over £1000 on a MT4G3 during my 4 years of ownership and let it go for £350. Huge loss but then I had the 4 years of enjoyment which I traded off against it.

admittedly I didn't really have any Tamiya's when I was a kid so I'm not attached like most others here, I do understand what you guys mean though ;)

• Like 2

Just to be clear, when I say I will never sell, I mean my Tamiyas. Any other brand, I have no qualms about selling. I have had plenty of brands vehicles come and go through my work bench, but Tamiya represents the heart and soul of this hobby to me. Can't live without my heart, and it's not living without my soul. ;)

Familiar problem, but I did it, yesterday I shipped one of my baby's.

Boy was it hard to part. :unsure:

NndIc-wqOLcSH-3VUFXnGXbY46IOXIK3MYNS50eY

but,cash in the bank/paypal,,,one more space to fill,,,oop`s just bought another:D,,,,going round circles springs to mind:lol:,,,thats the rc bug:o

Yeah, money was already spend before I was able to ship :wacko: oh my bad consience :rolleyes::lol:

I've bought a few cars that were initially (at least in my mind) 100% to fix and sell. Then at about 75% completion, I feel the shift and I just think "yea, you're keeping this one, too." Usually when the decals start to bring the body to life, or the chassis just starts to look so good with 1 or 2 hop ups.

I tended to sell when I wanted something new, but after a few really disappointing ebay sales, I now keep almost everything and any cars I really am never going to use again I tend to strip down for parts for projects  :)

• Like 1

On 8/24/2016 at 0:54 AM, Jason1145 said:

Things you own end up owning you.

pick up your skirts, grab your proverbials and do the deed :)

ive no problem selling cars, I spent over £1000 on a MT4G3 during my 4 years of ownership and let it go for £350. Huge loss but then I had the 4 years of enjoyment which I traded off against it.

admittedly I didn't really have any Tamiya's when I was a kid so I'm not attached like most others here, I do understand what you guys mean though ;)

I don't like things owning me.  So I tend to keep what's best for me at that juncture with a bit of a buffer.  I've sold my M05, F103, TA03, Vaterra and an HPI but all of these were purchases made in my early 30s.  I am probably unique in that I used to build static kits and collect diecast cars... which are somewhat fun to build but not fun to have sitting and cluttering (and usually not the same scale...:mellow:).  Once I had my first hobby grade RC... I started selling every static model finished, kit or otherwise that I had.  It's just so much more fun to run a scale model of an automobile.

For me it's about realizing a longstanding desire to have hobby grade cars.  They were just the ultimate to me when growing up.  But I didn't save up to buy one because I knew they were slow (or nitro...) at the time and I would be wrought with disappointment.   Technology has changed that.   Hence everything I run is LiPo and usually brushless.  I wouldn't now nor would have I done nitro powered cars... just too noisy and the necessity of mangling the body or exposing the single-piston engine ruins the scale aspect for me.

On 23/8/2016 at 5:49 PM, Dojo Dave said:

So, I find myself in a circular mode of thinking, I decide I'm going to sell some cars, usually its one or the other of my Original Wild Willys` and so I look at them and I start to take pictures and then I think of a price, and then I put it back on the shelf and say "uck sure I'll just keep it for a while longer". And buy another one Whiskey Tango Foxtrot....

I have a collection that is sitting, some were for fix up and sell others are my pride and joy, I want, and should sell some but cant bring myself  to do it, anyone else?

Dave 

It means that you don't want to sell your cars. Simply.

Max

• Like 1

I am a classic hoarder, and that's with EVERYTHING I collect, be it R/C cars, hifi gear or games consoles. I just know that I would deeply regret selling anything as I've bought it because I wanted it, not because I think I can make a fast buck. I even have an 8x10 shed at the top of my Nan's garden full of VW/Audi spares my boss has given me, they have been there for years, but even though I've always meant to do something with them, they are still siting there (laziness I guess!)

However my situation has recently changed as my Nan passed away on Tuesday evening, so we are now in the process of emptying her house which is where 90% of my stuff is kept! So I may be forced to thin out my collection somewhat, I did make a list of cars I could sell, but never actually got round to it!