Lhodgo

1985 "takes the cake" IMO

Was flicking through the tamiya 58000's list and realised 1985 was my golden year. Wild One, Hotshot, Fox...was there a better year. Not IMO or is it just that that was my entry year when my older bro got his Fox and I dreamt that one day I'd get a Hotshot. (Only took me 30 years). 

Then look what happend!

What are youf thoughts?

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh thank god...Its not just me!

I used to drool over the RC guide book wanting a fox, Hotshot, Wild one, Brat. I finally have all (in various states of restoration) and my original Grasshopper (My parents eventually caved and scraped enough for one car) like you it took 30 years :)

I feel so much better knowing i am not alone! :D

1990 was for me Tamiya's golden year.  It contained all of Tamiya's greats from Hotshot 2 - Egress.

2016 is also great because I have so many Tamiya's I could only dream about all those years ago.

• Like 1

agreed, I remember drooling over the 1985 catalogue too. And I too have many cars (but not all, yet) from that era.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Plopes said:

1990 was for me Tamiya's golden year.  It contained all of Tamiya's greats from Hotshot 2 - Egress.

2016 is also great because I have so many Tamiya's I could only dream about all those years ago.

87 was hotshot 2 I thought?

It was released about 1987 but it was still in the 1990 catalog. That's why for me the 1990 catalog was Tamiya's best year.

I love the hotshot 2, still one of, if not the toughest looking buggy of all time. Happy to be proven wrong!

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Talking about 1985 and forgetting one of Tamiya's greatest RC vehicles ever??? :o

Toyota pick-up Bruiser...:D

Xesi0ma.jpg

• Like 7

Totally agree, I was perfectly placed in that time zone to apreciate (though I couldn't afford) this Tamiya boon time :D And completely explains why the era of cars I have are focus to that time ;) 

• Like 1

1984-1987 was definitely the peak of R/C for me. ^_^ Reasons...

"Realism" was still the dominant design style of the vast majority of models on the market, before "spaceship" took over. Not that the spaceship style was bad, just...slightly less my preference. 

The variety of design across cars within a brand, and even more so across brands, was phenomenal. This makes collecting them fascinating.

Due to the growing popularity of R/C cars in the mid-80s, it was still possible to buy many of the early kits (dating back to the late 70s) plus those mid 80s models - all at once. So the mid 80s was a great time. By the late 80s, many earlier models were out of stock, and the market was oversaturated with new cars (and cars generally). By the early 1990s, the peak times were over and many brands were pulling out of the R/C market altogether just to save themselves (e.g. Hirobo, Marui, Yonezawa, Tomy, Nichimo etc).

If I really had to pick one single year though, I might actually nominate 1987. That year was right on the cusp when I think we had the maximum classic cars all available at once in a lot of stores. It also takes-in many great 1986/1987 models like the Supershot, Bigwig, Blackfoot, Mugen Bulldog, AYK Viper, Marui Shogun, Kyosho Ultima, plus a host of classic ready-to-run cars, some of which were colossal sellers like the Taiyo Jet Hopper, Nikko Turbo Panther, Nikko Bison F10 and Radio Shack Golden Arrow (these cars essentially caused Tamiya, Kyosho and Marui to begin their own 'Quick Drive'/'Fast Drive'/'FA Series' 1/14 scale R/C lines)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hibernaculum said:

1984-1987 was definitely the peak of R/C for me. ^_^ Reasons...

"Realism" was still the dominant design style of the vast majority of models on the market, before "spaceship" took over. Not that the spaceship style was bad, just...slightly less my preference. 

The variety of design across cars within a brand, and even more so across brands, was phenomenal. This makes collecting them fascinating.

Due to the growing popularity of R/C cars in the mid-80s, it was still possible to buy many of the early kits (dating back to the late 70s) plus those mid 80s models - all at once. So the mid 80s was a great time. By the late 80s, many earlier models were out of stock, and the market was oversaturated with new cars (and cars generally). By the early 1990s, the peak times were over and many brands were pulling out of the R/C market altogether just to save themselves (e.g. Hirobo, Marui, Yonezawa, Tomy, Nichimo etc).

If I really had to pick one single year though, I might actually nominate 1987. That year was right on the cusp when I think we had the maximum classic cars all available at once in a lot of stores. It also takes-in many great 1986/1987 models like the Supershot, Bigwig, Blackfoot, Mugen Bulldog, AYK Viper, Marui Shogun, Kyosho Ultima, plus a host of classic ready-to-run cars, some of which were colossal sellers like the Taiyo Jet Hopper, Nikko Turbo Panther, Nikko Bison F10 and Radio Shack Golden Arrow (these cars essentially caused Tamiya, Kyosho and Marui to begin their own 'Quick Drive'/'Fast Drive'/'FA Series' 1/14 scale R/C lines)

Awesome summary and totally agree. I always wanted a hotshot, but low and behold I was a Taiyo Jet Hopper generation and that was my first ever RC. Drove if down a stormwater drain never to be seen again!