Sign in to follow this  
marhun

Noob - Tame-ish Brushless Set Up

Hi there

Firstly apologies for asking a question which has probably been asked loads of times but after having read posts, reviews and watched stuff on eBay I am still at a bit of a loss.

I have a 25+ year old monster beetle and lunchbox which I have got back in running order for my son with the addition of a couple of new ESCs tble02s's to replace the old mechanical ones and a couple of new batteries (3300 nimh) He has got good use of the cars over the last year but the motors which are also 25+ years old (an old stock silver can and a sport tuned) are running a bit hot now and are a bit temperamental.

To make things a bit safer for him to use them on his own and prolong the battery life/ run time a bit I was looking to go brushless on the cars but I don't want anything too insane as I will only spend more time fixing them than he does running them, although to be fair I do enjoy tinkering with them. 

My question therefore is what do you recommend, I would like something as fast as a sport tuned or a little faster but don't know whether I am better going for one of the tamiya motors since I already have the ESCs or go with one of the cheaper motor ESC combos such as the leopard 3930kv or similar.

With the non tamiya motors is there anything you need to look out for, do they fit the same to the motor mounts on the cars or do you need adapters etc? Do the pin ions fit?

Lastly is there a way of taming the motors down a bit so that initially they are a bit slower for my son but as he progresses I can dial the up a bit. Is this possible via the programming card? Is this what the motor timing option is on the set up?

Thanks for your patience 

Mark

Hi Mark..

The Tamiya TBLE02S is designed to run 540 sized sensored brushless motors down to 10.5 turns (*with optional cooling fan)..

I believe that the ESC is pretty basic, and I'm not sure if there is a way of turning the speed down in the ESC through programming.. However, you could limit the speed of the cars by putting a stopper (think along the lines of a rubber band, cable tie or pvc electrical tape wrapped around the handle behind the trigger if its a wheel radio) so that he cant reach top speed.. Then simply remove the stopper when Dad has a play.. ;-) .. If you have stick controllers then maybe you could make a stopper from plastic or thick cardboard that you could place above the throttle stick to stop him getting full speed..

For a motor that is as fast or a little faster than a sports tuned, may I suggest buying a 13.5 turn sensored motor.. You don't need to buy a Tamiya motor just because you have a Tamiya ESC, other brand motors should work just fine....

As per usual Backlash's advice is pretty sound.  When running a TBLE-02S, other than using a physical barrier to keep your boy from pulling full throttle, you can use a transmitter that provides for some adjustment of throttle throw.  This option tends to come on transmitters which are not the entry point into the manufacturers line.  My sons Spektrum DX4C has this feature and it's a snap to adjust.  We have the throttle on his SCT set to about 70%.  Check around to see which other transmitters offer a throttle travel adjustment.

If your current transmitter doesn't have this feature, and you don't want to go the new transmitter route then simply cut a piece of foam tape (item # 6294011), stick it to the back side of the throttle trigger, and cover it up with some heat shrink tubing to keep it securely in place.  Use more pieces to build up thickness if once piece doesn't stop the travel.

Any brushless motor will work.  If you want to keep it somewhat tame a 17.5T or 13.5T motor is your ticket.  It's difficult to compare but a Sport Tuned isn't a whole lot snappier than a silver can and a 17.5T is considered "stock" where as a 13.5T is considered "super stock".  The quality of the motor will also determine power.  A good quality 17.5T might out perform an el cheapo 13.5T but IMHO you really can't go wrong with either one.  If you want to save some cash look to the HobbyWing and Speed Passion motors.  They're in expensive and good quality.  Just be sure you get an appropriate length sensor wire to go along with it.  Something flexible is better than something firm.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Effigy3 said:

Any brushless motor will work.  If you want to keep it somewhat tame a 17.5T or 13.5T motor is your ticket.  It's difficult to compare but a Sport Tuned isn't a whole lot snappier than a silver can and a 17.5T is considered "stock" where as a 13.5T is considered "super stock".  The quality of the motor will also determine power.  A good quality 17.5T might out perform an el cheapo 13.5T but IMHO you really can't go wrong with either one.  If you want to save some cash look to the HobbyWing and Speed Passion motors. 

The main reason why I suggested a 13.5 sensored brushless motors is because both the Monster Beetle and the Lunchbox have limited gearing options..

From my experience with brushless motors, you always need to gear them a bit taller (use a larger pinion gear) to get the most from them speed wise.. But you cant easily do that with the Lunchbox or Monster Beetle..

What do you think Effigy3?

As a side note.. Here in Australia, we race a 13 turn HobbyWing non-sensored brushless motor and ESC in our Tamiya Mini (Tamiya M Chassis) class as an alternative to the Tamiya Sports Tuned Motor..

It really depends on the build quality of the motor, where the timing is set and driving conditions, but...  Since this is for his young son I personally would err on the side of caution and go with a 17.5T motor if the transmitter has no throttle travel adjustment.  If the transmitter does have throttle adjustment then I would definitely get the 13.5T like you say.

I agree, 16.5 or 17.5 turns should be enough. A 16.5 turns / 2500 kV motor makes my slightly overgeared Mad Bull do wheelies on gravel and go fast enough for my liking on tarmac. The car is equipped with a LiPo and lasts for 30-40 minutes, on NiMH with equal capacity it has less performance and runtime.

When researching F1 RC, I read that many clubs run 21.5t sensored brushless motors in them these days, said to provide similar performance to a standard silver can. They are also said to provide excellent runtimes.

Don't get a 10.5...  I got one and put it in my Frog...  Now its a ROCKET and way too fast to drive safely...

Terry