richb77

2 or 3 axles truck?

I am looking to get a 1/14 truck. Its something i have hankered for, for a long time but never had the budget or skills to pull it off. 

Both are on par at the moment so i want to order one.

I am not a fan of the American style and have narrowed it down to either the Scania or Mercedes tractor trucks.

What i am confused (I have done it to myself) about is the difference between the 3 axle over the 2.

Is it anything other than style?

I am kinda leaning towards the Scania R620 fyi.

2-axle trucks costs less than 3-axle truck - fewer parts, slightly less complex build.

2-axle truck shorter than 3-axle truck, less shelf space.

All the 1/14 trucks are great build experiences - I have about 10 of them - try one & you will want more. :D

R620 is a nice kit, got one in my pile to be built.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

2-axle truck shorter than 3-axle truck, less shelf space.

Not always.. I have a 6x4 Mercedes 1838LS that still has the stock short chassis rails from when it was a 4x2.. I suppose I should call it a 2638 (LS) now its a 6x4.. ;):P

If we are talking about building the Tamiya kits in their stock configuration this is true though.... 

What Tamiyabigstuff has written is true, especially the part about wanting more..

Your choice of truck really comes down to personal preference, and if you are trying to model trucks that you would see on the roads where you live or somewhere else in the world.. We see very few 4x2 (2 axle) trucks here in Australia, and that was the main reason why I converted my little Merc over to a 6x4.. 

There are also a lot of aftermarket "hop-ups" and option for the Scania if you choose to go that way..

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I like the idea of a slightly more complex build. I also like the scale feel of these things but looking around all i see on mainland Europe is 2 axle trucks. That being said a quick google search shows plenty of 3 axles about.

Now R620 or Gigaspace....Hmmm

do it :D

I took the plunge a year ago and I loved my MAN TGX build.  I wasn't fussy whether I got a Euro truck or a US one, I just jumped when something came up at the right price.  I did want a 6x4 tho, but that's only because I always have to have the biggest of everything :P 

The Scanias definitely seem to be more catered for in terms of aftermarket direct-fit stuff, especially if you want to go crazy with extra bars and lights and stuff.

You'll really enjoy the build, but take your time - and be prepared for lots of painting.  I was very surprised by the amount of chassis detail components that had to be painted before I could finish the chassis build.  It's a totally different build to a car or buggy where you build the chassis separate to the shell - it's more like a static model kit that happens to have lots and lots of working metal parts and a proper working drivetrain :D 

• Like 1

The 4x2's are easier to reverse and follow the trailers with the shorter wheelbase. The 6x4's should have more traction although I find one axle helps lift the other on a 6x4 due to the small suspension travel so they 'diff out' pretty easy anyway. We also don't have many 4x2's over here hence why they are not as popular.

Buy whichever takes your fancy, because as mentioned above, one isn't enough! 

• Like 1