Sign in to follow this  
Bobzilla

Frog/hornet knuckles for hex wheels

There used to be a mod to put f103 knuckles onto a hornet so you could mount modern hex type wheels. I have one on my grasshopper, but am looking to do the same to my hornet. However, the knuckles I used are discontinued and all I can find are ones that put the bolt straight through the axle, which isn't going to work. Any suggestions? Thanks. 

Supposedly Traxxas knuckles fit.  I have ordered a set and will update when I know whether they are lying or not.

48 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Nice!  For that price, I'm ordering parts tonight!!!

Thanks!

Terry

That thread listed the Trax 3652, 3637, and 5114s.  I found from reading that the 3752 is the "better" replacement 'cause it uses 5x11 bearings instead of 5x8...

I'll going to try it out on my Frog sooner or later...

Terry

2 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

That thread listed the Trax 3652, 3637, and 5114s.  I found from reading that the 3752 is the "better" replacement 'cause it uses 5x11 bearings instead of 5x8...

I'll going to try it out on my Frog sooner or later...

Terry

I had read somewhere that the bigger version is too big to fit. Never tried it, though.

1 hour ago, JoFan said:

I had read somewhere that the bigger version is too big to fit. Never tried it, though.

Yeah, I realized that a little later...

Terry

I picked up one of these a while back...  I never got around to testing it since I never got 12mm hex front wheels...  I've been using the HPI or Tamiya front wheels on my cars...

Terry

Also...  on my re-re G-Hopper, I got CRP 1621s and lunchbox axles.  That allows me to mount HPI#2100 rims with the HPI#6115 adapters.  Works great and allow me to fit low profile 2.2 tires on the front (albeit I have to watch out I don't rub the front bumper)...

Terry

And it turns out that the bathtub I'm modifying to take modern equipment is an original 1983 model Hornet, and I've just drilled out the top rear suspension stay to take an M3 rod and ally brace rather than tapping screws, and filed down the front to accommodate the grasshopper 2 axles.  Oh well, it never was in a condition to be a shelf queen.  Think I will look at fabricating the front suspension brace after all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobzilla said:

And it turns out that the bathtub I'm modifying to take modern equipment is an original 1983 model Hornet, and I've just drilled out the top rear suspension stay to take an M3 rod and ally brace rather than tapping screws, and filed down the front to accommodate the grasshopper 2 axles.  Oh well, it never was in a condition to be a shelf queen.  Think I will look at fabricating the front suspension brace after all.

Yeah...  we've all done stupid things...  Welcome to the club!

Terry

• Like 1

Well, I've fitted them, ish.  They needed about 2mm taken off the verticle to get them to fit in the swingarms, and the holes take 4mm ball ends, not 3mm.  So now I'm having to modify a spare direct servo connector to take 4mm ball ends and then make up the tie rods myself.  Thankfully I have some spare 4mm ends lying about.  Should make the steering arms a bit more sturdy though.