TwistedxSlayer

Buggy Project TB-01 Finished!

Morning guys and girls.

As many are aware Tamiya never made a buggy based on the TB-01 Chassis, they did how ever make a truggy based on it (but i wasnt aware of that before i decided to undertake this project).

Plan. Take my TB01, add some wide arms, taller shock tower on the rear, throw on some suspension and see what happens. Whilst trying to use only Tamiya parts.

The actual outcome.

1st job. Find a set of suspension arms that will fit. After some advice from XVPilot on arm widths, i decided the cheapest option was to go for TL-01B arms. But rather than buy just the arms. I bought  a complete doner vehicle and stripped it for all the bits.

Pics will follow and ill update throughout the day.

• Like 2

Alot of the build was trail and error. The rear was built 1st but im lacking pictures of rear build. The lower arms went straight on. As did the drive shafts. The issue came when trying to fit the upper control arms. The TL-01B were too short. So i thought id raid my parts box and found TT-02B ones fit quite nicely. The next issue for the rear was the shock tower. But that gets sorted later.

An interesting idea. I take it you chose this approach due to the ruggedness of the TB-01 drivetrain?

• Like 1

Right, rear shock tower.

Along with owning Tamiyas I also have a Hobao Hyper 10TT Brushless - awesome truck. It came with several spares, so i thought i'd raid them to see if i could find a suitable shock tower.... and yes i could.

1472718601491_zpsevxtdsun.jpg

Quick test fitting, lines up perfectly.

Now to address the rear shockers.

20160901_162136_zpsh49p46sz.jpg

DT-02 Shocks with several spacers, and an TT-02B GPM steering link to space them away from the shock tower.

The control arms are TT-02B GPM

20160826_132132_zpskkpcvqr5.jpg

And they covered the front and rear, and the steering.

20160901_162102_zpszimudghy.jpg

The next issue i had was with the steering.

Using the GPM arms, they caught on the upper chassis plate.

20160901_162111_zpsbhw8ackz.jpg

So i spaced it upwards to give clearance.

Which takes us to this point....

20160901_162304_zpsvo9ganpc.jpg

• Like 1

As its a buggy, it needs a wing. This issue has taken me several hours to figure out, but today I managed it with a massively over engineered wing.

20160910_170418_zpsuvmhrcgr.jpg

The wing mounts are standard TL-01B ones that mount on sideways to the TL-01B, my issue is i needed to turn the mounts through 90degrees. So several attempted and screws later, with the help of some suspension ball joints....

20160910_170423_zpsow3lot76.jpg

20160910_170432_zpsg9vuled4.jpg

20160910_170440_zpsqpyuerlx.jpg

To me, this has been a great little project.

The front camber issue has been cured *for the moment* by removing the front drive shafts and cups and making it RWD.

The turning circle is awful, but its fun.

This is currently how it stands,

20160910_170716_zps15ses07k.jpg

Other than a couple of  minor issues, its finished!

The body will be a Neo Scorcher one, and it will be velcro'd to the chassis.

20160910_170847_zpsmdafg9ul.jpg

20160910_170904_zpshudp2ckb.jpg

Edited by TwistedxSlayer
Photobucket Links
  • Like 3

Great little project there. I didn't go as far as you did in transforming an on road vehicle to an off road vehicle but I did a similar thing with my TL01B buggy regarding fitting larger shocks. The TL01B was based on a road car and I felt it had dampers which were too short so I found some taller aluminium shock towers and fit these to the chassis which allowed me to fit what I think are proper, large buggy sized shocks.

Have fun with it. I'm sure you will. :D

• Like 1

Its currently my only '2wd' vehicle and im having alot of fun with it. Ill be able to get the velcro for the body tomorrow and give it a run out with the body fitted.

On 4/25/2020 at 5:51 PM, TwistedxSlayer said:

Scrolling back through some old threads and posts, I think @svenb needs to see this

Thanks 

Been on here a few years and never spotted this👍

Can't work out if your a on or off road bloke🤔😅

8 hours ago, svenb said:

Thanks 

Been on here a few years and never spotted this👍

Can't work out if your a on or off road bloke🤔😅

Still trying to work that out myself. Lol

Lockdown has had me poking through boxes in the garage and I've come across my TB-01 Arai Impreza that I never really took to as I was more into buggies.

The question is...can I easily upgrade it to something like this (I don't have many parts kicking about) or just sell it and buy a cheap buggy.

Money and time would be the two determining factors. Time I don't mind so much but I'l rather not be faffing about with trial and error. Can I just buy Levant bits??

Are there any other similar projects anyone could recommend? The only other I found is linked below from the same member!

Thanks in advance for any light shedding! 

Thank

40 minutes ago, wifflebat said:

Lockdown has had me poking through boxes in the garage and I've come across my TB-01 Arai Impreza that I never really took to as I was more into buggies.

The question is...can I easily upgrade it to something like this (I don't have many parts kicking about) or just sell it and buy a cheap buggy.

Money and time would be the two determining factors. Time I don't mind so much but I'l rather not be faffing about with trial and error. Can I just buy Levant bits??

Are there any other similar projects anyone could recommend? The only other I found is linked below from the same member!

Thanks in advance for any light shedding! 

Thank

Hi mate.

Converting to a buggy isn't the best idea.

Converting to a levant is a good idea but it is costly. The parts aren't the cheapest.

I'd suggest selling the Arai Impreza if the body is good and its boxed it should mostly fund buying a buggy.

Buggy wise.... the world is your oyster with anything from toy grade cheap and cheerful to high end expensive.

Thanks. I'm waiting for the great ebay 99p fee purge anyway so I'll lump it on when that comes around again.

Now I've just to research the cheap buggy/truggy selection...a lot has changed since the days of the Hornet and Mardave Meteors!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wifflebat said:

Thanks. I'm waiting for the great ebay 99p fee purge anyway so I'll lump it on when that comes around again.

Now I've just to research the cheap buggy/truggy selection...a lot has changed since the days of the Hornet and Mardave Meteors!

Can always try putting it up for sale on here

This is it here

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=164690818548&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111

I'll have a look and see if I can find how to share in the for sale section 🤔

• Like 1