khyzersoze

My more expensive than it should be Lunch Box

Always wanted a Lunch Box when I was younger, and I finally got one.  For being my cheapest kit... I've seemed to have spent the most on it.  Crazy thing is that I'm contemplating getting another one later on!

Anyway here it is.  Still deciding what decals, extra paint work I want to do to the body, but this is pretty much it.

As it stands right now

28816496033_f28d236d10_b.jpg

With lights on!

29438224305_47ce776f16_b.jpg

FX10 Mod

Uncompressed....

28816495503_d414e257d4_b.jpg

Compressed...

28816494943_c59beaf20f_b.jpg

Used a suspension arm piece from a WT-01N kit to mount the bottom of the shock.  (I bought the longer WT-01 arms so I didn't use these)

29438157585_d7104e6e14_b.jpg

28816493153_d13fa32bd6_b.jpg

28816498373_52b118bffe_b.jpg

Electronics

Hobbywing Justock XR10 ESC, Speed Passion v3 13.5T Brushless, Sanwa RX-371W Receiver, Savox 254mg steering servo, Generic lighting kit

29438159095_8e8fbb2f64_b.jpg

Chassis Stiffening

Upper shock tower brace

29438152185_9945ab3874_b.jpg

Rear deck brace

29438156645_b8d075620f_b.jpg

Lower rear shock brace

28816494413_f66612e0ae_b.jpg

Forgot to add that it's also got a full ball bearing kit.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Very nice lunchbox. Really tastefully done. It looks great just as it is so take your time deciding on any more paint or decals you're going to add to it. Look forward to see what you do with it next.

Thanks!

By the way, have you checked this bit? TCer Pintopower designed a special axle bracket for these vans that I think you're going to love.

Here's a link to his store (and the explanation video): http://www.shapeways.com/product/G72GAY3NL/tamiya-cw01-lunchbox-pumpkin-montero-unimog-trans?optionId=59473027

Thanks again for the info on the shocks, good stuff. ;)

All the right mods really well executed. I resisted the FX10 mod but seeing those 2 pics it really shows just how effective it must be.

Nice one :)

On 9/4/2016 at 10:33 PM, mongoose1983 said:

Thanks!

By the way, have you checked this bit? TCer Pintopower designed a special axle bracket for these vans that I think you're going to love.

Here's a link to his store (and the explanation video): http://www.shapeways.com/product/G72GAY3NL/tamiya-cw01-lunchbox-pumpkin-montero-unimog-trans?optionId=59473027

Thanks again for the info on the shocks, good stuff. 

Thanks for the link!  I might look into his front arms instead of another FX10 arm kit if I get another Lunch Box.

Regarding the rear axle...  I did look into the rear 3rd shock mod, which Pintopower seems to have come up with an alternate solution using that axle bracket.  I was initially planning to do it, but then I decided that I actually didn't need it.

Some of the issues were I guess slapping noise from all the torque under acceleration and having that axle tilt back the way it's designed and that some people were experiencing the motor hitting the rear shock when this axle tilt happened.

If you look closely at my aftermarket rear lower shock mount/brace, you'll notice that there are multiple positioning holes for the mounting of the rear shocks.  I mounted it the furthest away from the axle, so the motor hitting the shocks under acceleration isn't an issue with mine.  I haven't really paid any attention to any slapping noise, but if it does bother me... it shouldn't be hard to customize it so that it's got some sort of rubber bumpers in that part of the suspension.

All in all, I still have some things I want to do before I call this one done so that I can move onto the next kit.

1. Get a better wheelie bar
2. Finish up minor paint applications to clean up some areas and give some more detail.
3. I figured out what I want to do as far as decals go....  Stay tuned!

• Like 1

One of the better looking boxes I've seen in a while. I have one I started to get crazy on, doing lots of mods. And never finished it. So I've got another in trying to be more chill about. 

Really nicely done. Love it!! 😎 Can you shed some light on the WT-01 pieces you used to mount the shocks to the lower wishbones please?! Also where did you get the alloy rear shock mounts with the brace bar. I'm struggling to track those down. Cheers, Dan. 

I bought rear shock mount from sicnmeproducts off ebay - http://www.ebay.com/usr/sicnmeproducts

The WT-01 Pieces are either C3 or C4 from the WT-01N kit. It's from the narrow chassis version Amarok.

I have decal designs ready, just need to print them when I have time.  Will post pix when I do.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, khyzersoze said:

I bought rear shock mount from sicnmeproducts off ebay - http://www.ebay.com/usr/sicnmeproducts

The WT-01 Pieces are either C3 or C4 from the WT-01N kit. It's from the narrow chassis version Amarok.

I have decal designs ready, just need to print them when I have time.  Will post pix when I do.

Thanks for that. Have you run it yet? Interested to know what it goes like as I've gone for a 12 turn. 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Black Van Dan. said:

Thanks for that. Have you run it yet? Interested to know what it goes like as I've gone for a 12 turn. 👍🏻

Yes, I've run it.  Pretty quick, but you have to ease into the speed.  Punching full throttle right away will make the truck wheelie and tumble in a bad way.  I need to get a better wheelie bar, since the kit one is tiny and doesn't really prevent the truck from tumbling with the 13.5t brushless in there.

One of these days I'll get around to doing a video.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, khyzersoze said:

Yes, I've run it.  Pretty quick, but you have to ease into the speed.  Punching full throttle right away will make the truck wheelie and tumble in a bad way.

I hope you didn't damage that lovely body shell? 🙈

Are you going to still run this shell when finished or get a lexan one? It would be ashame to damage this after the time and effort you've out into it. I'm getting  a lunch box this Christmas. I'll be doing the shell completely box art for the shelf and I'd like to find a place that that do a lexan lunch box shell to take the knocks. I'll do this one a different style I think.

Saying that. Does anyone know where they do a lexan lunch box shell??

Thanks for the link Black Van I've got an email alert set up for when they get the shell back in stock. The fact that I don't want to wreck my plastic shell's the main reason that I'm not really running my lunchie. 

3 hours ago, Black Van Dan. said:

I hope you didn't damage that lovely body shell? 🙈

Well, just before this paintjob, the shell was military green.  I scraped up the black paint on that back chrome bumper, and a little of the roof rack.  Luckily the plastic shell itself didn't get damaged at all.  That's how I know the truck will wheelie and tumble with this amount of power in it!

I then decided that a silver paint job would look better anyway, and I re-painted the chrome bumper that I painted black.  I don't know if I will get a lexan shell.  It's fun to run, but I only really damaged it to that extent because I drove it on asphalt.  I kind of know how to control it now so we'll see.  Problem is... I'm quickly growing a collection of cars that make it hard to figure out which to drive!

On 9/4/2016 at 12:27 PM, khyzersoze said:

Always wanted a Lunch Box when I was younger, and I finally got one.  For being my cheapest kit... I've seemed to have spent the most on it.  Crazy thing is that I'm contemplating getting another one later on!

Anyway here it is.  Still deciding what decals, extra paint work I want to do to the body, but this is pretty much it.

As it stands right now

28816496033_f28d236d10_b.jpg

With lights on!

29438224305_47ce776f16_b.jpg

FX10 Mod

Uncompressed....

28816495503_d414e257d4_b.jpg

Compressed...

28816494943_c59beaf20f_b.jpg

Used a suspension arm piece from a WT-01N kit to mount the bottom of the shock.  (I bought the longer WT-01 arms so I didn't use these)

29438157585_d7104e6e14_b.jpg

28816493153_d13fa32bd6_b.jpg

28816498373_52b118bffe_b.jpg

Electronics

Hobbywing Justock XR10 ESC, Speed Passion v3 13.5T Brushless, Sanwa RX-371W Receiver, Savox 254mg steering servo, Generic lighting kit

29438159095_8e8fbb2f64_b.jpg

Chassis Stiffening

Upper shock tower brace

29438152185_9945ab3874_b.jpg

Rear deck brace

29438156645_b8d075620f_b.jpg

Lower rear shock brace

Forgot to add that it's also got a full ball bearing kit.

hi .where did you get the shocks from if you dont mind me asking