Sign in to follow this  
speed27

Esc for vintage boomerang

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice on what esc to put in a vintage boomerang. I have a re re supershot which has a brushed motor and was looking at doing fb the same in the boomerang. Would the same model supershot esc fit in the boomerang?

i believe it will fit as long as they both brushed. 

if you only want to make it run you can buy this 8$ esc for brushed motors, it can run nimh or lipo battery. and it works great! i use one on my vintage mrc road winner.(got video if you want)

Brushed ESC

am I right in saying that if I get an esc that I will need a digital controller or can I use my old futaba attack r (if it works).

You should be able to use a Mhz radio with most ESCs no problem.  There are some servos that don't care for Mhz radios though so keep an eye out for that.  The ESC eyco80 linked looks to be a cheap Chinese no-name brand.  Personally I'd avoid them.  The ESC has to do a lot, managing the power from the battery to the motor under high stress conditions and high temps isn't to be taken lightly.  That no-name is about $10.  If you spend $20 you could get a reliable and well trusted HobbyWing 1060 ESC.  It's super popular with folks here on the forums (myself included) and is guaranteed to work with Mhz radios.  Just my .02 ¢

• Like 1

Thanks Effigy3. I don't hold out to much hope in the radio working again after 25+ years but you never know.

before trying the old radio, give the contacts a really good clean, both in the radio and the pins in the receiver, a good thing to do would be to get new crystals, they tend to degrade with time, plus having extra crystals set to multiple different frequencies is never a bad thing to have laying around :D