speed27

Stripping paint from polycarbonate shell

So I have a vintage boomerang shell that I painted by hand nearly 30 yrs ago. Can you get the paint off the shells? 

Also any tips on where I could get a new shell and wing, doesn't have to be genuine. Another style of wing is also in my thinking. I like the one I saw on the hotshot Evo iv.

anyone made a thin sheet aluminium body?

I'm having success with nitro fuel (25%, but 30% is the quoted strength on t'interweb) on paper towels and rubbing.  Its not the quickest process in the world, but it seems to be working.  However, I don't know whether its been painted with proper Lexan paint or not, so it could be that its working because the paint job is crap.

I've been using Tamiya's Polycarbonate Body Cleaner (87118) to remove the paint from an old Big Brute body and it's been working great. I know nothing about the type of paint or the age, but I'm assuming it's polycarb paint from the early 90s. This picture shows the hood after about 15 minutes of rubbing. Once I got the bulk of the paint off, I had to make another pass to remove the haziness, but it's coming along nicely.

2016-09-07-14.11.06.jpg

4 hours ago, speed27 said:

So I have a vintage boomerang shell that I painted by hand nearly 30 yrs ago. Can you get the paint off the shells? 

Also any tips on where I could get a new shell and wing, doesn't have to be genuine. Another style of wing is also in my thinking. I like the one I saw on the hotshot Evo iv.

anyone made a thin sheet aluminium body?

1) i always use "tiger degreaser", works perfectly, but may not be widely available.

http://www.hornbach.at/shop/Entfetter-Tiger-farblos-1-l/4001428/artikel.html

others use break fluid or graffity remover (that maybe not on a lexan shell).

2) new body/wing: teamblugroove; i purchased some bodies there, always very good quality

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TBG-BOOMERANG-BODY-AND-WING-VINTAGE-/150625102336?hash=item2311f4aa00

I would also suggest having a look into these threads:

Hope this helps!

I mainly use two products:

- Tamiya's Polycarbonate Body Cleaner (87118): good results

- Carson Paint Killer (available as Spray or Liquid): At the moment i use the spray and it seems to work even better than Tamiya (lot less rubbing) with no damage on the lexan. You just spray wait a little and rub with a clean towel.

As already said in other threads results depends also from the type of paint and also in some cases the  type of lexan. In my experience using the same product some lexan bodies suffered a little (foggy look) other remain perfect.

I used also Nitro and brake fluid but results are not as good as with the product above.

Hope this help.

WWD
:)

One used WW2 body I got for a project, ill painted and quite abused. No lexan shell but very hard to clean. I used the degreaser solution on this WW2 shell. Had multiple layers of paint on it and additionally a very thick layer of primer. everything but the primer went off while soaked in the degreaser. Unfortunately I had to remove the primer layer manually (with toothbrush and toothpicks :blink:). Now I am going to fill the gaps, put in a second seat ......

Untitled-2.jpg