Vrdetailing

TT02B diff replacement parts

I have my TT02 B Running large wheels and a 10 turn brushless system.

The issue I have is the plastic diff gears clicking on load

Inhave done some reserch and it appears I need DF02 metal differential

The think is I am not sure exactly what parts I need to order and where in the UK to get them. EBay is sparse 

Any links or members that may have parts would be appreciated 

939B3860-268B-47C2-AD61-C34D4A2C681D.jpg

• Like 1

The TamiyaUSA website is a great resource for checking build manuals, part numbers & parts compatibility.

Build manual for 58550 Aero Avante is available online and has the DF-02 chassis so that should help you find what you need.  

I have the GPM steel diff gear replacement sets fitted to my tt02b ms front and rear but be warned they are not a 'drop in' replacement as you would expect! they needed quite a bit of running in out of the model before installation

df02 diffs are less hassle if you can get them cheap enough

You need parts bag A from the gravel hound part 9400152. It runs about $20. I installed it recently with my tt02b ms with no,issues. You need to file down the pinion bevel gear about 1-2 mm to fit

• Like 1

so, what we are doing with this mod is replacing the 4 plastic cog diff of the TT02 with the 3 steel cog diff of the DF02

Because the tougher diff is a 3 piece the diff casing is needed and this is the diff cup PLUS the large bevelled gear that screws onto the back of the cup from pack A (you WONT need the large white spur gear as yoou can keep your TT02 one

DSC_0006_zps4df839cd.jpg

parts bag A (mine ordered this week from here awaiting stock) http://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-parts-bag-a-df-02/rc-car-products/26642

with the diff casing make sure you get the set and not just the spur gear (i got mine off ebay this week http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-0555104-DF02-Diff-Gear-Case-Gravel-Hound-Plasma-Edge-Aero-Avante-New-/182268919474?hash=item2a7012feb2:g:t-8AAOSwv0tVO5n1)  <<<< i think sellers have cottoned onto this and are splitting the set and making double

JJ

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Vrdetailing said:

I have my TT02 B Running large wheels and a 10 turn brushless system.

Everything that I have to say about the metal DF-02 gears has already been posted. I don't want to stray off topic, but I have a TT02B buggy running a 15T motor and was looking to get taller wheels. I am curious as to what your rims and tires are. Are they 1/8? 

Dragging up this topic

I found this when searching how to fit my DF-02 diff and ended up using my own info! God has it been that long!!??!!

so fitted the diffs today - really easy. Hadn’t got round to doing them because I was having no issues until I fitted a GoolRC brushless combo and a 3s LiPo.

pics of them being fitted 

CC321C2F-6E8A-48F2-AD27-2778B9149732.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Straight swap apart from slightly modding the gear at the end of the longitudinal shaft - needs 1mm taking off the metal collar

083B82B4-6355-4D87-AA5C-94361EFE5CFD.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Are people doing this mod only for TT02Bs, or are they swapping in DF02/TT01 diffs for the on-road TT02 as well?  Just trying to guess if the plastic TT02 on-road diffs in my car will hold up to 10500 kV, or if I shouldn't be surprised if they strip and click.

On 9/8/2016 at 12:31 PM, taffer said:

I have the GPM steel diff gear replacement sets fitted to my tt02b ms front and rear but be warned they are not a 'drop in' replacement as you would expect! they needed quite a bit of running in out of the model before installation

df02 diffs are less hassle if you can get them cheap enough

The GPM gears are a drop in imo. Mine run just as smooth as the factory gears in my TT02B MS.

However, they may need a bit of cleaning up with a file in the holes for the drive cups. From experience, they can be a bit rough in this area - especially the pinion gears, which means that they sometimes don't slide all the way down over the drive cup axle. This will result in the ring gears and pinion gears mesh too tight. As for the metal gears inside the diffs? I'm yet to blow those with my 3S 10T brushless setup. Get two ring gears and two pinion gears. You can always replaces the internal diff gears down the line if needed be.

But the grinding TT02 gears is a very well known issue.

If you are doing a brushless setup like you are with big wheels, the following items is a very good upgrade as well.

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=126803&amp;lang=eng

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=116790&amp;lang=eng

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=11057&amp;lang=eng

https://www.gpmparts.com/aluminium-hitorque-servo-saver-for-25t-spline-output-shaft-1pc-set-gpm-sh025tm2s-p-90076257.html

That was 2016! The buggy is long gone!

They said they would stop selling them but I said to them (the seller not gpm) that they should check the parts themselves after I returned them.

All the gears were ok except the internal diff gears, they were slightly too bulky which meant when the diff was closed it would seize them up, all six sets ( I think I bought and had replaced upto 6 diff sets) were the same.

Now Tamiya has released proper metal diffs etc so I'd go with that if I ever got another tt02b (which I won't)

If gpm are still selling sets I'd expect them to have solved the issue way before now

On 5/30/2019 at 6:54 PM, speedy_w_beans said:

Are people doing this mod only for TT02Bs, or are they swapping in DF02/TT01 diffs for the on-road TT02 as well?  Just trying to guess if the plastic TT02 on-road diffs in my car will hold up to 10500 kV, or if I shouldn't be surprised if they strip and click.

On road is fine with plastic. I’ve never had an issue with fast motors. Even the speed run guys who get way over 100mph with a TT02 run the plastic diffs with no issue.

• Like 2

Even with no punch setting, my castle setup would ruin the spur gear if you slammed on accelerate or braked suddenly, didn't matter what pinion or motor mount combo i did, the result was the same, there were no steel spur gears for sale back then though, diffs do last longer though but would start clicking after a few runs.

it's easy to say, 'go gently then ', but with such large capacity batteries it doesn't take much for concentration to slip slightly then it's another repair needed 

Edited by taffer
Added a bit
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, taffer said:

Even with no punch setting, my castle setup would ruin the spur gear if you slammed on accelerate or braked suddenly, didn't matter what pinion or motor mount combo i did, the result was the same, there were no steel spur gears for sale back then though, diffs do last longer though but would start clicking after a few runs.

it's easy to say, 'go gently then ', but with such large capacity batteries it doesn't take much for concentration to slip slightly then it's another repair needed 

Indeed. And, go gently? It's an rc offroad car. Now why would you do a silly thing like that.

Go gently is what you tell the proctologist - an offroad rc car? Drive it like you stole it 

• Haha 2

The new set up is surviving a brushless 3s set up at the moment 

not that I can find many places with enough space to run it ;)

JJ

Hi,great work!

i'm Luca from Italy and tryng to set up my TT 02 diff's...i can't find the DF-02 case but i think the TT01 one it's the same.....what do you think,can i use this case with the parts bag A ?

Immagine 2.jpg

1 hour ago, LUCATT02 said:

Hi,great work!

i'm Luca from Italy and tryng to set up my TT 02 diff's...i can't find the DF-02 case but i think the TT01 one it's the same.....what do you think,can i use this case with the parts bag A ?

Immagine 2.jpg

The TT01E diff (pictured) should work fine in a TT02, but you'll also need the metal internal gears etc that would go inside these diffs.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LUCATT02 said:

Thank you for reply,i think this metal parts are good

Immagine 5.jpg

Yes, that's the parts bag I used for mine.

Thank you all!

just ordered what i need to set-up the diifs.......last pics of my TT02 with original body (i can't use this on road,many hours to finish......)and with body to run

23.jpg

02.jpg

• Like 1