Hibernaculum

What's the vintage item you have multiple of, and yet...

...you can't bring yourself to let any of them go? ^_^

For example. I think I probably have 30 boxed sets of Super Champ, Sand Scorcher and Rough Rider tyres in total (accumulated over 25 years). Perhaps it's ~$1000 worth, just in tyres. But I love the boxes so much, I could never bring myself to sell any. (More likely I'll end up with a few more in the years ahead).

Ah, the allure of vintage. Especially if it's some car or part you pined for as kid...

Anyone else accumulated several of the same thing (more than they need), yet have precisely zero plans to sell any of them? After all, if it's some item you love, and you paid for them all, you can fill a swimming pool with them as far as I am concerned - I totally get it B)

H.

• Like 1

Shocks.  Useless friction shocks, with springs that, it has been said, would be more suited to a ball-point pen rather than a £100 radio controlled car.  I doubt anyone would want to buy them anyway.

• Like 1

5 Shot series & 5 Boomerang Series car's :D Box art Hotshot, Hotshot II,Supershot, Boomerang & Super sabre ^_^ The others modded in some way B)

• Like 1

Amongst many things......the tamiya multi tool ! Must have over a 100, arrrrggghhh :lol:

• Like 5

Might seem nothing to people in the rich hemisphere, but I do have two complete Futaba FP-T2F radios :)

• Like 1

On 10 September 2016 at 6:30 AM, mongoose1983 said:

Might seem nothing to people in the rich hemisphere, but I do have two complete Futaba FP-T2F radios :)

Rich hemisphere...then you live in the fun hemisphere!

Most of my collection is 1/10 tamiya Electric vehicles

For some unknown reason I bought a trf801xt truggy,  (the 1/8 scale one) that I built up with brushless power.

Then bought another to build up with a nitro engine.

Then bought four more complete kits , so I would have some spares if one broke. (they have been discontinued)

Don't think I need that many but, you never know lol.

Must be 4+ months since I ran the brushless one, and the nitro one sits on the shelf. So doubt I will need spares anytime soon.

And I also have a large pile of tamiya multi tools

• Like 1

For me it would have to be SRB buggies and parts. Over the years I spent thousands of dollars on rare new parts for the SRB.  Bought tons of wrecks just to get that one rare thorp ball diff hidden away in that grungy gearcase.  

51FADEE3-0A74-4B6F-B212-9E52390BE429_zps

Then Tamiya Rere's the SRB and now all my stuff is worth a fraction what they cost and what was once rare is now commonplace. 

However I won't sell anything because it's all vintage parts and when I do start to do some SRB restorations, I'm going to want the vintage parts. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Shodog said:

For me it would have to be SRB buggies and parts. Over the years I spent thousands of dollars on rare new parts for the SRB.  Bought tons of wrecks just to get that one rare thorp ball diff hidden away in that grungy gearcase.  

51FADEE3-0A74-4B6F-B212-9E52390BE429_zps

Then Tamiya Rere's the SRB and now all my stuff is worth a fraction what they cost and what was once rare is now commonplace. 

However I won't sell anything because it's all vintage parts and when I do start to do some SRB restorations, I'm going to want the vintage parts. 

Ah, I've been in love with that red baja VW body for how long, about a decade now? :wub::D

• Like 1

The paint on that body is good from far but far from good. 

• Like 1

On 20/09/2016 at 10:51 PM, Shodog said:

Then Tamiya Rere's the SRB and now all my stuff is worth a fraction what they cost and what was once rare is now commonplace. However I won't sell anything because it's all vintage parts and when I do start to do some SRB restorations, I'm going to want the vintage parts. 

Yeah, I don't think people should sell anything vintage they think they might want later. What was once rare, is still rare, since virtually all remake parts are easily identifiable from original parts. And for the same reasons as you prefer vintage parts for restos, so do a lot of other people. 

As for values of vintage Sand Scorcher stuff... The market definitely dipped after the remakes came out. But prices were peaking unusually high in the mid-2000s anyway. It's worth recalling that during 1999-2001, NIB Scorchers (to use them as a yardstick) could be had for as little as $1000-$1500 (I saw several and bought one). Then things went much higher for a few years (though I was still able to buy a couple of NIB Scorchers for $2500ea during ~2004/2005). Then they fell back.

Now, in recent years...

S6EgKYF.jpg

Still a high value, in anyone's toy collecting terms. And values really have nowhere to go but north in the future, given dwindling supply. 

• Like 1

the avante. i have a 1988 original, plus 3 2011 re-re(2 on display, 1 nib). i bought the re-re thinking i would play with it but it went on display. bought another but left it NIB. got the last one telling myself i would definitely run it, but i still didn't. now i'm contemplating a df-03 with the original avante bodyshell to drive about.

tamiyas are very detailed but most of the designs are probably better off on the shelf. the older designs, in particular, aren't very durable for bashing and playing around.

• Like 1

For me, it's anything to do with the original Hotshot. For whatever reason, I just loved it's low slung stance, the mono-shocks and the fact that it was the first 4wd buggy from big T (am I right there? I'd need to double check).

Anyroad, I have loads of NIB kits, NIB body sets, NIB shock upgrades (not that I'd ever install them, because I love the monoshock - so go figure), a few sets of bearing upgrades, NIP speed controllers, etc. I think I might treat myself to actually building one of the vintage kits one day, but despite needing to clear out some space, the thought of selling any of these never crosses my mind.

• Like 1

For me it is about the King Cab/Monster Racer family (see my avatar).  But I must mention my two ORV chassis that got me started in the late eighties which led to some great racing and bashing with the Monster Racers. Either way I have boxes of rare/spare parts, NIB bodies.  I would sell my beautiful original Bruiser before thinking about parting with any Monster Racer/ORV chassis in my stable.  Call me crazy :wacko:!!

Decided to take a pic of my six shooters (a few minutes ago) after I saw this thread today.....  Great thread by the way!!

QTvZ2l.jpg

• Like 1

I have 26 Tamiya TGX's never sold one ! but maybe there's a cure for the addiction ..... not found it yet.

My story is a bit like Showdog's, but for me its the Frog..

When I first started out collecting, it was to get enough Frog Parts to build a replica of the Frog that I had back in the day.. I guess that I bought 10 or more in various states of repair, stripped quite a few down to get the best parts that I needed for my build.. I remember buying two separate Frogs just to get the CRP bumper and Nerf bar that goes under the battery.... 

Then the re-re came out and most of the cars and parts that I have almost worthless.. Oh well..

• Like 2

Manta Ray Ball diffs, I bought a couple for my TL-01 and then a couple as spares and later on I was given another TL-01 so I bought another couple to put in that and still haven't gotten around to doing so. Then I got my M-05 and guess what? I bought another one to fit in it cracked open the gearbox and guess what was lurking inside? Yup another Manta Ray ball diff. It's like the things are almost magnetically drawn to me....

• Like 1

On 26/09/2016 at 0:30 PM, Backlash said:

I remember buying two separate Frogs just to get the CRP bumper and Nerf bar that goes under the battery.... 
Then the re-re came out and most of the cars and parts that I have almost worthless.. Oh well..

One other thing is, used vintage items tend to be affected more by a remake, than NIP. Still see some very strong values for NIP vintage, of most things. So if you still have some of those kicking around, they're definitely not worthless.

There isn't as much vintage NIP stuff out there, as there once was. Just did a search for Vintage Tamiya Frog - worldwide across all products on eBay Australia. At time of writing it gave me 171 results. So I counted them all up. Just 21% of those results were NIP vintage Tamiya Frog items. Another 20% or so were used vintage Tamiya Frog. But a whopping 56% were 3rd party, custom, repro or entirely unrelated (i.e. none of it "Tamiya")