Jason1145

Mud Blaster 2 - WT01 Chassis Build/Upgrades/Pics

A

44 minutes ago, Nitomor said:

Dr Pepper...

What's the worse that can happen!?!

Planets can collide and mass extinction.... but meh.

Good news on the decal front, the Ebay seller said I can keep the Blackfoot decals and he will send out the correct original Mud Blaster decals.

Parts arrived today :

Red Alloy battery stoppers from AsiaTees.

4 x 95mm Absima Oil Dampers (Pre-assembled)

• Like 1

Cool,

Bad news is you now need to get a Blackfoot III to use your new decals on ;)

That's so true.... Always wanted a BlackFoot.... Could hit my own with a hammer.... But failing that could just buy the shell and stick it on this WT-01 ;) great idea

• Like 1

Help guys... Trying to move on with this build and think I'm stuck at trying to attach the dampers... I've got my new 95mm Oil Dampers but they are way too long for the stock shock tower.

So I'm just going to wait for the GPM taller shock towers to arrive and voila... But the existing stock towers are mounded onto part of the front and rear assemblies.. How will the GPM towers fit because I guess you don't remove the standard towers?

Aldo waiting on aluminium servo mounts so I'm at a standstill now till postie arrives.

Hi Jason. The 95mm shocks won't fit on to the standard shock towers so unfortunately you'll have to use the standard shocks until the gpm towers arrive.

Regarding fitting the gpm shock towers. They have 4 fitment holes. The lower ones attach were your upper arms attach on the chassis and the upper holes attach were the top of the standard shocks attach on your stock shock tower. Hth

Your new 95mm shocks attach to the outer hole in the lower arms.

I'll tell that postie to get a move on because you reelly can't do anything until the postie comes.

Like that!

large.image.jpg.fc9fa8558cdaf65f3a1e7d2d

I had to wait an age for one of my shock towers to arrive last xmas, seemed there was a worldwide shortage at the time!!

• Like 1

Ahhhhhhh I see said the blind man lol

Cheers guys.... So the new tower just bolts in front of the existing ones... I hoped that would be it but needed confirmation... With you two experts how can anyone on TC mess up a WT-01 build huh? Watch this space ;)

One more query, the new Absima shocks have a smaller diameter shock mount hole both top and bottom.. This means Zi can't use the Tamiya shoulder screws which have what I call a wide thread on them.

I have other hex screws which I can use but they have a finer thread on them... Are these ok to screw into the plastic shock towers?

Some further progress photo's, and new parts in.

RhizZV8.jpg

Front Knuckles attached

FHCgHaL.jpg

Absima shocks too long for stock towers ;p

dodE6nf.jpg

Front and rear ends at a standstill.

CpfXoJM.jpg

New bits

WLGKlvH.jpg

Wrong bits.

r1eYKCQ.jpg

3mm machine screws will go in nicely for the shock mounting and actually grip the plastic better, I can't remember if I used 3x10mm or 3x15mm!

• Like 1

The alloy battery clamps look nice but the spring loaded carbon quick release ones work really well and have no parts to lose in long grass after the first pack is flat

• Like 2

Great got the 3mm screws ready, and I haven't seen the carbon quick release battery things before.

11 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

The alloy battery clamps look nice but the spring loaded carbon quick release ones work really well and have no parts to lose in long grass after the first pack is flat

48 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Great got the 3mm screws ready, and I haven't seen the carbon quick release battery things before.

this ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-53346-TL-01-M03-Quick-Release-Battery-Holder-TL01-TL01B-M04-WT-01-NIP-/391449456943?hash=item5b2434b12f:g:wtYAAOSw0HVWDpJ~

• Like 1

np

brought that one in the hope I could easily fit it to an M01, found it wouldn't be easy, so now I'm arranging to get a tl-01la to fit it to *lol*

• Like 1

Mud Blaster decal sheet and Alloy servo mounts... all coming in nicely now...

fRl37oZ.jpg

Some new tyres to save the stock ones for the shelf..... these measure pretty close to the stockers, little bit heavier.... and less offset which I hope won;t catch on the insides anywhere, time will tell.

YZb5TJ1.jpg

yoyRzpV.jpg

Next to the silver stockers

9FkYulQ.jpg

DHDeBXw.jpg

bVT2E8P.jpg

KfM240d.jpg

• Like 2

HSP brand out of China from EBay... Took me a little while to find the right size as there are tons when you search 1/10 RC truck tyres groan!

Search "Perfect 4Pcs Black Wheel Rim + Tire for 1/10 HSP 94111 94188 Monster Truck"

• Thanks 1

Let us know how you get on with the wheels, in regards to fit etc.  I need a set for my Blackfoot Xtreme

Will do Pumesta.

No more building done yet but these have arrived, hope I can get a start again soon.

I think I will put a 3000kv brushless motor in and run 2s lipo, should be fast but not too fast?

cladS7W.jpg

• Like 2

Mine is hilarious and reliable with a 10.5T sensored brushless - that roughly translates as a 3730kv motor rating.

The easy way to figure brushless out is to take the kv (sorry if I'm stating the obvious here) and multiply it by the voltage. At its peak a lipo will deliver 8.4v for a short period - nimh is of course 7.2v. 3000kv x 7.2 = 21,600rpm. 

For reference a silver can Mabuchi is rated at 19,700rpm at maximum efficiency (23,400 at no load) so in terms of outright speed the 3000kv is not going to be significantly faster. However - max rpm doesn't tell the whole story and there are a lot of other variables. Brushless motors are a lot more efficient, hence extended battery life and much improved "torque". I'd say your setup would be equivalent to a Sports Tuned motor or a 19T brushed thereabouts (IMO - happy to be proven otherwise). 

Either way it's a nice setup for this rig so crack on. 

Are you Nimh or 2S lipo?

I'm gonna run 2s lipo... I thought the way to calculate brushless was take the lipo cell value as 3.7v

So 2s is 3.7 X 2 = 7.4v

therefore running a 3000kv brushless motor you times this by.... 3000 X 7.4 = 22,200RPM at the motor

happy to be proven otherwise :)

Your 10.5t sounds a blast, have you GPS too speeded it yet? I'm waiting on a new GPS recorder then gonna record all my Tamiya's for fits n giggles :)