mtbkym01

mtbkym01's project thread - Latest “1997 Worlds Winner - Yokomo MX-4 Super Dog Fighter”

4 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Yeah I was just looking for anything old school really for that build, and stumbled across a lot of Servos and esc’s so the 110 seemed perfect for this build

Yup definitely perfect because if you're setting up an oldschool kit with proper electronics, the MC110 is era/period correct.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

So true mate, I am on the lookout for a black bumper (but won’t spend a million dollars on one :blink:) and I’ve still got the original wheels that I can restore. There’s a box of bits and pieces that came with the RR, I think I’ve seen a brass uni in there, so might try and find another. As you would be well aware, postage on small parts like these through eBay is ridiculous, and finding the parts in Oz is almost impossible

I've often queried postage costs, as usually it is an eBay automatically generated price.

If the seller looks it up themselves it can be significantly cheaper.

But considering the $AU right now it probably wouldn't be cheap either way.

Looking forward to seeing this one completed and also many future projects that you have in the pipeline. :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Falcon#5 said:

I've often queried postage costs, as usually it is an eBay automatically generated price.

If the seller looks it up themselves it can be significantly cheaper.

But considering the $AU right now it probably wouldn't be cheap either way.

Looking forward to seeing this one completed and also many future projects that you have in the pipeline. :)

Good to know, Next time I find something I absolutely need, I will ask for a postage quote.

Yep the AUD is very weak at the moment :angry:

Not sure what project will be next, what about you mate, where you at with builds?

39 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Good to know, Next time I find something I absolutely need, I will ask for a postage quote.

Yep the AUD is very weak at the moment :angry:

Not sure what project will be next, what about you mate, where you at with builds?

My builds are going nowhere fast :lol:

Work/family are consuming all my time right now.

I'm still buying parts and projects for when I get the time to get to them.

I wrote a big list of what I have going on, but deleted before I posted so I don't hijack your thread. B)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Falcon#5 said:

I wrote a big list of what I have going on, but deleted before I posted so I don't hijack your thread. B)

Yup - me too - tell you what I'll create a thread so we can commiserate with each other and like-afflicted souls ;) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

7 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

Yup - me too - tell you what I'll create a thread so we can commiserate with each other and like-afflicted souls ;) 

Some of these projects that I’ve worked on this year I’ve had sitting since around 2011 or 2012, so have no fear, you will get to them one day. Half the time my biggest issue is I’ll track something down for a project, but forget that I’ve got it :huh:

• Like 1

No progress on the RR (waiting on paint), but I did do some motor maintenance, and thought about how I’d like to store/display my small collection

48729792653_8d8fe5640b_h.jpg

• Like 11

Tiny update, I searched through the loose bits and pieces that came with the RR, and found the original brass uni joints, they were in a pretty ordinary state, so I hit them with CLR and then wire brushed them. I can see why the car has the steel units on them as these are pretty sloppy, so I’m undecided if I should fit them, although this will see shelf duties only.

48748238607_9fd46315ef_k.jpg

• Like 2

Put them on , they don't look that bad .  Plus they look the part :D .  

• Like 1

On 21 September 2019 at 2:47 PM, mtbkym01 said:

Really old, vs not quite as old, but still old :huh:

48768348112_5455515a83_k.jpg

And fitted

48768348017_95fd6644aa_k.jpg

Now that looks so much better . Great choice .

• Like 2

Been tinkering around with this TA06 that I’ve had for ages while I’m waiting for what I need to finish of the RR

48767811578_c649e68626_k.jpg

48767811528_1519baff24_k.jpg

The stabiliser bars were fitted a bit unusually?

48768147536_102d110e21_k.jpg

48767811353_3508b0c683_k.jpg

Fitted the body posts and front bumper, and corrected the stabilisers, and fitted a servo.

48768347562_541a9db097_k.jpg

I’ve fitted some white MST wheels that I’ve had for ages

48802447716_1c5d17198a_k.jpg

48802098323_e89d51d215_k.jpg

48802447356_8f0e5148cc_k.jpg

This Chassis is in really great condition, with barely a mark on the underside. My plan was to fit a Yokomo Toyota Crown body that I’ve had for about the same amount of time that I’ve had the MST wheels, but as I’ve discovered from a seperate thread I started, the body is designed for a lwb Yokomo Chassis, so I cannot use it on this chassis.

So now my dilemma is what body do I get for this chassis, the options are so massive. I’m leaning towards some kind of GT body like the latest AMG GT3, or a R35 GTR, or even a Zakspeed Ford Capri??

• Like 4

Pulled a Subaru WRX body out that was left over from a TL01 VTA Mustang I built a while ago. My plan was to fit it to the TA06 but it’s pre drilled body holes prevent that so I will be on the lookout for another chassis for it, but here’s the concept anyway

48812501846_a7791300aa_k.jpg

48812151458_7ffdad1ccb_k.jpg

48812151298_b3b224622a_k.jpg

48812151078_4ef08729b8_k.jpg

48812150923_d0c0719eb0_k.jpg

48812648032_8bfae03844_k.jpg

Definitely needs an exhaust

The front windscreen sticker needs replacing as I managed to totally stuff that up, so hoping 1comes up (I’ve placed a wanted post in the sale section)

• Like 4

On 9/27/2019 at 5:16 PM, mtbkym01 said:

The stabiliser bars were fitted a bit unusually?

Moving the link attachment point closer to the bar pivot makes the bar effectively stiffer as the arm has less leverage to twist it. Although ugly, it can be done should a thicker bar not be available, and the link angles aren't pushed too far such that they bind.

• Thanks 1

So the Rough Rider is still waiting on paint (the Aust Tamiya distributor is still unpacking it’s latest container, so hopefully I’ll have some soon). I’ve been sidetracked anyway, as I’ve had this to build in time for a Round of the Australian Nationals this coming weekend at my local club.

48863443953_91361f411e_k.jpg

I’m using my old engine at this stage (been an extremely good engine, with about 30 litres of fuel through it now, still has good compression), I will buy a new engine probably in the next couple months.

48922485336_a0850c8e6b_k.jpg

I’m getting a body for this and my Truggy airbrushed ready for the Nationals, so I painted up an extra body for the practice rounds (been a while since I’ve raced buggy, could get a little untidy for a few tanks :rolleyes:

48922685762_7a580f9b45_k.jpg

48922485771_6d3f7a4386_k.jpg

48922686247_f859f7db44_k.jpg

48922686132_d39bcd1bb6_k.jpg

Cant wait to hit the track with this, I’ve been wanting to get a 1/8 buggy again since I went to the 2018 Worlds in Perth, Australia

• Like 6

Airbrushed bodies in the sun hardening up the paint before I cut engine holes

48944880141_b773ddf0fa_k.jpg

48945076087_40e9c50e4a_k.jpg

All done in pearl colours. I told my mate what colours I wanted and let him come up with the design. I like the “Ford” grill - makes it my very own “Raptor” 😂

• Like 4

nice paint job... looks fast even when its just sitting like that...

curious what are the mbx8's like to run/maintain? the only offroad rc club in my area has a 1/8 track...

they do allow me to run my tamiyas there - but i tend to only have a go when there's no one else around.

...so been mulling at the mbx-8 eco (the electric one). never had a 1/8 before... but yes another money pit...

9 hours ago, MockTurtle said:

nice paint job... looks fast even when its just sitting like that...

curious what are the mbx8's like to run/maintain? the only offroad rc club in my area has a 1/8 track...

they do allow me to run my tamiyas there - but i tend to only have a go when there's no one else around.

...so been mulling at the mbx-8 eco (the electric one). never had a 1/8 before... but yes another money pit...

I may be biased in my view, but I’ve been running Mugen for the last 8 years (Truggy, this is my first Mugen Buggy) and find them to be very high quality, the Truggy’s did have an issue with breaking front arms, bu on the latest model MBX8T that seems to have been rectified. I can highly recommend Mugen, but and also very impressed with the HB Racing buggies as well. I say go for it, a 1/8 buggy is like nothing else flying around a purpose built 1/8 track

• Like 1

Bodies trimmed and ready to go, Practice starts tomorrow morning, followed by qualifying in the arvo 

48949036708_c50ff372d5_k.jpg

48949577291_774b5d4673_k.jpg

48949576941_f810049fab_k.jpg

48949774827_c354b8eae6_k.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Practice starts tomorrow morning, followed by qualifying in the arvo

good luck man...  sounds fun!

• Thanks 1

They look great mate. B)

On 10/23/2019 at 9:16 AM, mtbkym01 said:

All done in pearl colours. I told my mate what colours I wanted and let him come up with the design. I like the “Ford” grill - makes it my very own “Raptor” 😂

I thought your painter would know your colours off by heart :lol:

Good luck at the Nats.

• Haha 1

The weekend is done, and I’m exhausted after dual classing, my buggy race went quite well, qualifying in 37th which put me into the “D” main, with the top 5 bumping into the “C” main. So off 7th on the grid I managed a 2nd in the 20min race, which would see me start the “C” main in 12th. I had a great first stint making it up to 6th, but then ran into some engine dramas ( my old engine loses a bit of compression when it gets full heat soak, and I need to up my idle a bit, but my engine stopped 3 times during the race, which caused a 15th place finish in that final. Overall I was really happy with how the buggy drove, after not racing one for about 8+ years. Truggy (which I’m more used to, and less numbers entered), I qualified 15th, and managed a 10th place finish, despite my air filter popping off during the race, and needing my pit man to re attach it with a new zip tie.

48966701816_3f80fef6d0_k.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Finally I’m back on the RR, priming and painting has started, what I’m going for will take me a while, and I don’t want to rush it so each coat will take time, lots of time in between letting each coat and colour harden fully.

49027248603_dc9ddf7967_k.jpg

• Like 3

The spray painting is finished, will now get onto the roll bar/roof, driver and spot lights. Then stickers and clear coating and this one will be ready for the shelf

49140401473_0e16aa75f8_k.jpg

49140894246_4857afaa57_k.jpg

• Like 3