Jump to content
mtbkym01

mtbkym01's project thread - Latest “Early Vintage Rough Rider”

Recommended Posts

My old school esc’s, RX’s And Servos turned up today, so I will be able to finish off the Edinger when I get a bit of time in the next couple days.

I refurbished some vintage Motors today, 2 are not true to label (1 isn’t even vintage :ph34r:) but will still look the part in whatever they end up in as shelfers.

40829656053_257ceca4e1_k.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I changed the RX that I originally fitted to one that accepts “J” type connectors (the one I first fitted was a “G” type), and also got the Vintage Futaba MC110 ESC fitted, all I now need to do is get some nice pictures out in the Sunshine and the “Edinger” will be basically done (Just some fibre battery straps to be tracked down)

32866108607_b75c1dc648_k.jpg

46893319145_2418cf67c4_k.jpg

32866109367_14ba2b69b0_k.jpg

 

The order of MCI motor decals shown above also included a Losi Junior 2 decal sheet so as I could decorate mine

32866108127_718e78be83_k.jpg

47809681101_64afaaf3da_k.jpg

The “Revolution Jr’s Choice” motor above has been fitted into the back of it too, a perfect match B)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The “finished” result for the “Edinger”. I am pretty stoked how this has turned out, as it was pretty bad at the start, and for it to be a true original survivor makes it all that more special

40863898113_6db56ec1b3_k.jpg

33953131858_2d44c5c6a1_k.jpg

40863897323_8b1b97c042_k.jpg

47778320152_c27300de5d_k.jpg

32886612457_f9d972b450_k.jpg

47778318822_0e44b5815a_k.jpg

Feel free to post comments and thoughts

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As one project moves off of the workbench and onto the shelf, another must replace it. After learning what differentiates Rough Rider variances, I’ve been able to establish that this one is an early vintage. I was given this from another 1/8 racer a few years ago who knew I was also into old school RC’s. It has a lexan body, and a couple broken parts, but overall is very complete and in pretty good condition. Anyway, here’s what I’m starting with:

33777915698_08a50bd82f_k.jpg

33777914318_b5e90d296c_k.jpg

33777915468_1ea599c68c_k.jpg

33777915218_752b40f66b_k.jpg

33777914808_b741f6fd29_k.jpg

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great find. Looks in very good condition - nothing snapped or broken that are obvious in the photos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Great find. Looks in very good condition - nothing snapped or broken that are obvious in the photos.

Correct, 1 ball end is broken but that’s about it, lots of silicone sealer around the radio box and gear box

*edit - oh and the front bumper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rough Rider has been stripped and started cleaning metal parts, and reassembly started. Some “early vintage” tell tale parts

47717404141_1f3cd10fdd_k.jpg

47664446002_c72b951dae_k.jpg

47664445582_c4ed95e248_k.jpg

47664445322_054d189ba0_k.jpg

 

Going back together

32832870697_5d5fd107d2_k.jpg

 

Had to remanufacture all the cross members on the front end as the originals were a bit bent, and funnily enough had been engraved with the original owners (I assume) name, address, and phone number :huh:

47724149712_3f3482d6a0_k.jpg

I rewired the motor (Another early vintage sign), the can is in excellent condition, and fitted to gearbox

32866106477_b4e7883159_k.jpg

33932727338_30fdf7b43c_k.jpg

32866106207_738510ac95_k.jpg

32886610837_b85e87275e_k.jpg

 

Thats where I’m at for now, paint has been ordered for the body, got a scheme in mind that I’m hoping I can achieve. The radio box will need a bit of tidying up, lots of scratches and lots of silicone sealant. The rear end also had a lot of sealer, but wasn’t too bad to clean off

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At a standstill through winter, hopefully will be able to get on with the radio box restoration soon, I’m keen to finish of the chassis, so as when it starts to get warmer, I can get the body done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 8:34 PM, mtbkym01 said:

My old school esc’s, RX’s And Servos turned up today, so I will be able to finish off the Edinger when I get a bit of time in the next couple days.

I refurbished some vintage Motors today, 2 are not true to label (1 isn’t even vintage :ph34r:) but will still look the part in whatever they end up in as shelfers.

40829656053_257ceca4e1_k.jpg

I had that same Le Man's 480T (far right) back in the 80s. I used it in my Tamiya Brat - converted to Frog and all the way when I upgraded to an Astute which I eventually replaced it with a Dynatech 01R and tuned it with a 17t rotor. I also had a Le Mans 240ST prior to the 480T.

Brings me back to memory lane. Hahaha! 😂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

I had that same Le Man's 480T (far right) back in the 80s. I used it in my Tamiya Brat - converted to Frog and all the way when I upgraded to an Astute which I eventually replaced it with a Dynatech 01R and tuned it with a 17t rotor. I also had a Le Mans 240ST prior to the 480T.

Brings me back to memory lane. Hahaha! 😂 

I love the old school LeMans Motors, Along with the 480T pictured here, I also have a couple 240ST’s one in each of my Optima and Turbo Mid SE, a 360ST pictured earlier in my thread in my Turbo Optima, a NIB 240SB, and a NIB 240T

I’d love to track down a 480S at some point too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mtbkym01 said:

I love the old school LeMans Motors, Along with the 480T pictured here, I also have a couple 240ST’s one in each of my Optima and Turbo Mid SE, a 360ST pictured earlier in my thread in my Turbo Optima, a NIB 240SB, and a NIB 240T

I’d love to track down a 480S at some point too

480s, the blue one. The 240ST was stock that came with the Optima Mid/Turbo Mid. That motor was given to me by my friend who never used it because he fitted his Optima with a Checkpoint. It was my first motor upgrade from the stock Mabuchi 540. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

480s, the blue one. The 240ST was stock that came with the Optima Mid/Turbo Mid. That motor was given to me by my friend who never used it because he fitted his Optima with a Checkpoint. It was my first motor upgrade from the stock Mabuchi 540. :D

Yep, 480S is the blue one, a 240S (red one) would be nice too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a couple hours spare over the weekend, so I ended up in my hobby shed and started tinkering, before I knew it I had wet sanded and polished the radio box back to an acceptable standard for a car that is about 40 years old (wow, 40 years old sounds unbelievable when it’s said out loud :rolleyes:). Then I started refurbishing all the original electronics with some soldering and some new connectors and heat shrink. I didn’t have my phone out there with me so didn’t take any progress pics, but here is how it’s sitting now. On some centrelines and new tyres, need to refurb and reassemble the shocks, won’t put any oil in them though as it will just leak out anyway. I’m stoked how this old girl is turning out

48663631883_0d3e25a588_k.jpg

48664134177_6af7f70535_k.jpg

48663980906_7253865a3d_k.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Motor side

48670379722_06047bc08b_k.jpg

Pm me if you need any parts - I have an early rough rider in bits, believe it’s all there as I remember taking it apart as a kid as it was just slow and boring compared to my other cars so I never used it. It’s been sat in my beatties bag ever since and just dusted off from the loft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Munkeyfeet said:

Pm me if you need any parts - I have an early rough rider in bits, believe it’s all there as I remember taking it apart as a kid as it was just slow and boring compared to my other cars so I never used it. It’s been sat in my beatties bag ever since and just dusted off from the loft.

PM sent B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shocks stripped, cleaned, quick restoration, and rebuilt

48691905222_af17d0beea_k.jpg

And fitted

48691392848_f2e84d123c_k.jpg

48691904977_7071591917_k.jpg

Now, I’m looking for opinions here, I’ve put out a wanted post for an original Matt Black Front Bumper, as at the moment i’ve got a re-re bumper on it off of my Scorcher. I’ve also got this aftermarket front bar, so in lieu of an original turning up, what’s the thoughts?

48691392623_d1288dfbe6_k.jpg

48691392498_ff868b7c77_k.jpg

48691732231_e067b8aa59_k.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me the after market bumper looks better, but you'll get better protection from the original

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something I overlooked when I stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the rear end is that this has the steel universals from the Super Champ! Undecided whether I leave these or change over to some original brass ones?

48692521598_2ca073a8db_z.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically just the body to do, will need some warmer weather which is just around the corner

48698416618_d8dba35071_k.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just spent half an hour (sorry boss) reading this thread - love it! I reckon we must be brothers with different mothers because you've picked just about all my favourites to restore!

Keep up the posts! :) 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic work mtbkym01!

Your resto skills and attention to detail are improving with every car.

I'd be changing the steel uni's with brass ones, and sourcing a black bumper to keep the RR original as possible as it's a MK1.

But the Centrelines look great ... B) so hard call.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just noticed you're using an MC110 on the RC10. I used the 110 too back in the late 80s. It was my first ESC and was very happy to upgrade from a MSC. I replaced it with an MC116 when I got an Astute in 1990. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

I just noticed you're using an MC110 on the RC10. I used the 110 too back in the late 80s. It was my first ESC and was very happy to upgrade from a MSC. I replaced it with an MC116 when I got an Astute in 1990. :)

Yeah I was just looking for anything old school really for that build, and stumbled across a lot of Servos and esc’s so the 110 seemed perfect for this build

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

Fantastic work mtbkym01!

Your resto skills and attention to detail are improving with every car.

I'd be changing the steel uni's with brass ones, and sourcing a black bumper to keep the RR original as possible as it's a MK1.

But the Centrelines look great ... B) so hard call.

 

 

So true mate, I am on the lookout for a black bumper (but won’t spend a million dollars on one :blink:) and I’ve still got the original wheels that I can restore. There’s a box of bits and pieces that came with the RR, I think I’ve seen a brass uni in there, so might try and find another. As you would be well aware, postage on small parts like these through eBay is ridiculous, and finding the parts in Oz is almost impossible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...