mtbkym01

mtbkym01's project thread - Latest “1997 Worlds Winner - Yokomo MX-4 Super Dog Fighter”

Some number stickers on their way from MCI will let me finish this, but it’s getting close

49180967643_4eeea0ddd2_k.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks guys, I’m really happy with it, can’t wait for my numbers so I can actually finish it. How about a matching Sand Scorcher??

• Like 2

That’s one fresh looking ^RR^ @mtbkym01 very nice👍🏻
I take it you will be on the look out for a SS in the Boxing Day sales then for a great pair? Or have you got one waiting patiently in a box to see the light of day?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

That’s one fresh looking ^RR^ @mtbkym01 very nice👍🏻
I take it you will be on the look out for a SS in the Boxing Day sales then for a great pair? Or have you got one waiting patiently in a box to see the light of day?

I have a ReRe that is boxart, and an original that in unused but had a very poor paint job and no stickers applied

• Like 1

While I wait for my MCI order to come in to enable me to complete the RR, I thought I’d make a start on the Subaru body I’m going to use on my TA06. I’ve decided to use liquid mask to mask the black parts, once it’s cured (this is the 3rd coat) I will carefully trim it to shape with my Tamiya knife, being extra careful to not score the actual lexan. I then plan to flat clear the outside of the body to give the black a Matt finish.

49202430093_c3b49b3cb7_k.jpg

49203123742_1bfedda597_k.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

What mask are you using?

It’s Faskolor liquid mask - Fasmask

AE3846BD-1AC8-4577-A84A-0A7FE59392B6.jpeg

13 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

how did the masking go?

Funny story, I haven’t been out to my hobby shed to check on it the last couple days, been pretty busy at work. Will hopefully get out there tomorrow

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

It’s Faskolor liquid mask - Fasmask

AE3846BD-1AC8-4577-A84A-0A7FE59392B6.jpeg

How do you find it?

Seems to have an unusual texture. Does it smooth out once cured?

21 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

How do you find it?

Seems to have an unusual texture. Does it smooth out once cured?

Yeah it does smooth out a fair bit as it dries, it also dries opaque. The biggest key is getting it on nice and thick, 4-5 coats is ideal.  The roof and side skirts were a bit thin, making it harder to peel of after you’ve painted. (Also, Tamiya PS paint tends to affect the mask a little bit, making it quite soft, so plenty of time between coats (and colours if doing more than 2))

Here’s some pics of it dry

49216540798_ee062065b1_k.jpg

I’ve used some tape along the edge of the roof to “straighten” up my free hand knife cut 😂

49217023281_6e06c30002_k.jpg

So it was a busy day today with trimming liquid mask, and getting some paint laid down, I went with metallic blue first, followed by the black, so in effect the blue is backed with the black which has given it a nice deep finish, that I’m really happy with. I cutbthe overspray film along the black lines, so I could flat clear the black to give it the effect I was after.

49217023211_00116cf207_k.jpg

49217023106_b286ac1223_k.jpg

49217249552_176822e6bc_k.jpg

The instructions for this body call for the windows to be smoked, but I’ve never had any luck with smoke so I’ve left them clear for now

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Here’s some pics of it dry

I’ve used some tape along the edge of the roof to “straighten” up my free hand knife cut 😂

That's smoothed out nicely.

Great idea with the tape. B)

Will have to try that trick.

28 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

So it was a busy day today with trimming liquid mask, and getting some paint laid down, I went with metallic blue first, followed by the black, so in effect the blue is backed with the black which has given it a nice deep finish, that I’m really happy with. I cutbthe overspray film along the black lines, so I could flat clear the black to give it the effect I was after.

49217023211_00116cf207_k.jpg

49217023106_b286ac1223_k.jpg

49217249552_176822e6bc_k.jpg

The instructions for this body call for the windows to be smoked, but I’ve never had any luck with smoke so I’ve left them clear for now

That looks fantastic mate, nice touch with the flat clear on the outside. :)

Looking forward to seeing it on the chassis.

• Like 1

Still waiting for my order from MCI (it’s a long way to Australia from Canada 😂) for the RR, but I have stickers up the STI. I think I want to keep it rather minimal so it’s a bit more of a street car, will need to try it on the chassis to see how it looks, but so far so good. 

49241397338_9345be4479_k.jpg

49241868246_3a29a5d074_k.jpg

49241868086_adf103e697_k.jpg

Still need to fit mirrors and pipes

• Like 5

Mirrors and pipes done on the TA06 WRX, need to source a motor and speedie, and maybe have a crack at an interior in the future

49255353128_b8a3c8630b_k.jpg

49255353268_4b6ce68022_k.jpg

49256026967_f5a3c9ed85_k.jpg

49255835176_6f01223f4f_k.jpg

• Like 8

Rough Rider still has to wait, my MCI order came, but I made a mistake with the numbers I ordered, and didn’t get what I actually wanted, 100% my fault, just placed another order so will be a few weeks 😡🤬

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Rough Rider still has to wait, my MCI order came, but I made a mistake with the numbers I ordered, and didn’t get what I actually wanted, 100% my fault, just placed another order so will be a few weeks 😡🤬

don't order them, I can send you some when I get around to sending you the new version of the stands. I managed to make an improved version today, with stronger joins where it's bolted.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, yogi-bear said:

don't order them, I can send you some when I get around to sending you the new version of the stands. I managed to make an improved version today, with stronger joins where it's bolted.

Ah ******, I already ordered 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

That Scooby just screams serious street cred 👍🏻😎

Thanks mate, that’s exactly what I was going for 👍

• Like 1