Sign in to follow this  
Terz1

Hilux monster racer or nissan king cab re-re. Anytime soon?

9 hours ago, kontemax said:

Probably you don't know well the King Cab geartrain as I know it.

In the King Cab geartrain you break everything........

I don't doubt that what you say is true. The point I make is that you could say the exact same thing for the SRB chassis but it didn't stop Tamiya re-releasing it.

It has a weak front end whose suspension arms come loose with ease.

The front uprights pop out of the suspension arms at will.

The chassis flexes so much that it can crack the body shell that sits on it, as the body posts move outwards and inwards with the flexing.

The plastic glass receiver box shears off if the car has a hard surface landing or roll.

The rear suspension arms break easily.

The chassis handles like a pig due to the excess weight, high centre of gravity, crazy amount of positive rear camber, no differential whatsoever and dampers that are basically a cosmetic feature.

Basically, if you take an SRB for a hard run you are very likely to be repairing/replacing/refitting something on it.

None of the above stopped Tamiya from re-releasing it though. And that was because it was targetted mainly at an audience who didn't care about the flaws. As long as the product was reasonably durable and usable in an off road environment it was viable for a re-release. And that will surely be the case for the King Cab.

2 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

.....when the re-re Monster Beetle was announced, I was even more convinced that Tamiya would do major changes to the original design, and if I remember correctly, you and I discussed this quite a lot Wandy (?), and you were right. I don't mind losing a bet, especially when it wasn't really one ;-)

Just checked my PMs and, yeah, we had opposite opinions on how the gearbox issues would be addressed. I will have to remember to place a bet with you next time. ;)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I don't doubt that what you say is true. The point I make is that you could say the exact same thing for the SRB chassis but it didn't stop Tamiya re-releasing it.

It's not the same, believe me. The difference is that the King Cab is a fast model, with really great suspension abilities that can handle a very fast motor and the people will use obviously fast motors. But with a fast motor the model breaks at the first acceleration. Believe me, with a modern mild brushless set up you can count the meters and the seconds before the breackage, I say something like 2 or 3 seconds. You can't compare two so different models.

Max

The only hope is that Tamiya will rerelease the King Cab with a new with slippery clutch geartrain.

Max

10 minutes ago, kontemax said:

It's not the same, believe me. The difference is that the King Cab is a fast model, with really great suspension abilities that can handle a very fast motor and the people will use obviously fast motors. But with a fast motor the model breaks at the first acceleration. Believe me, with a modern mild brushless set up you can count the meters and the seconds before the breackage, I say something like 2 or 3 seconds. You can't compare two so different models.

But Tamiya do not re-release their old kits with brushless power, or even a hot brushed motor, in mind. They are re-released to be used in the way that they were back in the day. If a KIng Cab can handle a Mabuchi 540 without too much trouble then it's got a very good chance of returning.

58 minutes ago, Nitomor said:

OMG.

Perhaps I'll just stick with the WT01 ;)

:lol: That's just the thought I had when reading kontemaxs' post.

Those were two great posts from kontemax and mokei. Due to them it's made everything very clear to me. Now I won't go down into great detail but break it down into the simplest terms. From everything that has been said no doubt (even though I haven't driven one) through others experiences the KC and monster hilux are the best handling monster truck style rc that tamiya have ever made. The huge problem is that it's massively flawed in most areas which one quick fix cannot solve. It breaks down on a regular basis and is very fragile.

Now going back to my original post me and my brother had a KC and monster racer on order for christmas when we were kids. I have had at the back of mind a bit of regret at changing the order and getting 2 bullheads (one became a clod buster because he messed up the body and got a clod body). Anyway that regret has gone. I don't think it would have been fun for us running these rc's as they were so fragile, plus as kids we would have realy put them through it. I think it would have just frustrated us with all the constant breakages and at the same time my parents wouldn't have liked funding the repairs. So now I have no regrets! Plus we loved the bullheads. :D Also if they did re-re it I'd just stick it on a shelf from what I've learned.

Oh and I now don't want an srb from what wandy said :lol:. That's unless I stick it on a shelf. If I wanted a useable looking sand scorcher I'll probably build one using a hornet as a base.

From all this I'd say I'm even more pleased having my wt01 monster beetle and will probably add a stadium blitzer. Both great fun, tough and parts are plentiful.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Terz1 said:

I don't think it would have been fun for us running these rc's as they were so fragile, plus as kids we would have realy put them through it. I think it would have just frustrated us with all the constant breakages and at the same time my parents wouldn't have liked funding the repairs.

I had one as a kid and I didn't see a single problem other than worn out axles.  I have nothing but good memories of it.

• Like 1

It would be great if Tamiya could find a way of remaking the tub so that it's compatible with the DT03 transmission or something similar, that has lovely wide gears a ball diff available and a very similar configuration.

46 minutes ago, Nitomor said:

It would be great if Tamiya could find a way of remaking the tub so that it's compatible with the DT03 transmission or something similar, that has lovely wide gears a ball diff available and a very similar configuration.

that's what zip ties were made for

• Like 1

On 26/9/2016 at 1:19 PM, Terz1 said:

The huge problem is that it's massively flawed in most areas which one quick fix cannot solve. It breaks down on a regular basis and is very fragile.

I fixed all the issues on the King Cab. My King Cab now is bullet proof and reliable.

The problem is the massive amount of time, thinking and skill I used to resolve all the issues. I believe few people have the time, the skill and the will to do it.

Max

• Like 1

On 27/09/2016 at 2:56 PM, kontemax said:

I fixed all the issues on the King Cab. My King Cab now is bullet proof and reliable.

The problem is the massive amount of time, thinking and skill I used to resolve all the issues. I believe few people have the time, the skill and the will to do it.

Max

Max 

Do you have any details on what you did to yours to help reliability? 

Cheers 

I haven't at the moment. I should open a thread and post pictures about them.

Max

• Like 2

Yes, that is exactly what you should do, @kontemax No rush, though, as long as you have it finished by tomorrow :)

Seriously though, that would've been brilliant. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kontemax said:

I have very few time to do everything...

:(

Max

Just keep making us smile with your slippery clutch comments, that's enough ;p