Sign in to follow this  
Robber

Old school Manta Ray

Hello everyone. New user here.

My son's sixth birthday is next month and he wanted an RC car. This sent me online to discover that the world of Tamiya is alive and well. Nostalgia fuelled, I hunted through my parents' attic and returned with my old Manta Ray. I built it with my dad about 25 years ago as a replacement for my Hot Shot (may she RIP). 

Anyway, I hope to use this thread to document the rejuvenation of my Manta Ray, so I can race my son's new Lunchbox. I am totally clueless as to how to do this, so expect lots of stupid questions. I have browsed the forums but was bamboozled by most of the jargon and acronyms. I look forward to friendly advice and tips from you experts, and hope that this thread might become a resource for other newbies who unearth cars their dad built for them many moons ago.

So first report:

Charged my 25yr old nicae batteries with my 25yr old charger and things are happening! Motor runs and steering (servo?) is trying to turn, but the wheels don't seem to want to. I'm guessing the steering rack just needs a strip down and grease.

Got some new 3300mah NiMh batteries and a new charger today, so here's my first stupid question:

The charger has amp settings and recommends the highest (4a) setting for my batteries. Just wanted to check that this is actually the best setting to use?

Also, can/should I use my 25yr old charger on these batteries? (photo attached)

Thanks!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Glad you found the old girl! Honestly, I wouldn't use the old charger. It wasn't designed for a battery of that capacity nor was it designed for a Nickle Metal hydride battery. Lastly, it's one of those chargers that needs a timer right? Your new one is a peak charger so it will prevent over charging.  As for current, I always charge as slow as possible when I am not interested in having the battery charged in any speedy means. When I am playing with the car or at the track, I crank up the current because for me, it's about the fun aspect. I think 4A is fine for that pack (I seem to recal a rule of thumb where you can take the capacity rating, 3.3A in your case, double it and that would give you the max current, 6.6A. Never knew if that was fact or fiction) but the most important bit is let the pack cool after a run, then toss it on the charger. If budget allows, I would get a couple extra good quality packs. As much as I love LiPo batteries, stay away. They are great for an adult but a little boy needs something simple and safe when he gets his car. Hope that helps and welcome! This website will be the end of your bank account. 

• Like 3