GooneyBird

On/off switches that fit 'traditional' cutouts

On most Tamiya chassis you have this neat little cutout for an on/off switch. (TT01/02, DT02, CC01, Sand Scorcher etc..). These cutouts are made for fairly large on/off switches with 2 screw holes. Like this:

1386_Tamiya_Tamiya_45041_TEU-104BK_ESC__

However, due to the lack of lipo cutoff I'm slowly moving away from using Tamiya ESCs and have found a great alternative in the Hobbywing Quicrun 1060WP (or various rebrands). They're cheap, readily available, go down to 15 turn motors (or something silly) and most of all, have a lipo cutoff built right in. However, what they also feature is a ridiculously small on/off switch with a very short lead. This is great if you're cramped for space, like on an F1 chassis, but not so great if you have an ESC tucked away deep in the bathtub of a CC01. 

Hobbywing-Quicrun-1060-brushed-regelaar-

Back in the olden days you could buy on/off switches that perfectly fit the cutouts in most Tamiya chassis. I figured I'd buy a bunch of these and solder them in every time I installed a Quicrun. However, I can't seem to find these switches anywhere! Not at the usual suspects, nor direct from an OEM. 

Does anyone know if they sell these switches seperately somewhere? Of does anyone have a bunch of broken Tamiya ESCs I can dissect for their switches? :P 

The quicrun switches are designed to fit into the side of the esc body, it's a really neat solution. 

However, I feel your pain. In the Olden days I had a kopropo ksc1200f speedo in my ff01, and the switch was tiny. I cut the little tab off of the battery retainer in the chassis, and I regret doing that now. 

If if you search for 'BEC switch' on eBay, a load will come up that can be adapted to your needs. 

Ah, so they're called BEC switches. Thanks for that! 

I know the switch clips into the main body of the ESC. It's indeed a great solution for cars where the ESC is readily accessible, like an F1 car or the like. However, once you start sticking these into bathtub chassis like a TT or a CC01 it becomes a hassle. Right now I have to remove the body every time I want to turn off the Pajero, and that's just very inelegant. 

I'll see if I can round up a few on eBay. Thanks!

you can find the switches at your local electronics supply store, like Jaycar, radioshack, etc, often they come prewired for battery pack, but are easy to rewire to an esc, tho they can be a tad fiddly to open up, tho after doing a couple I'm sure you'll become a pro at the opening, soldering, and closing up :D

• Like 1

I found my QuicRun to be potted at the PCB, too hard to chip it off to replace any wiring... all patchwork gotta be done inline :(

On my Quicruns, I cut off the existing switch, and solder on a mini red BEC plug, and solder a mini BEC socket onto a standard  switch. I have done this with Mtroniks ESCs as well, so I have a standard setup in all my cars, should I need to swap out my ESCs  between cars.

• Like 3

Would be easier if connection at ESC was terminated with header pins. <_<

novak-5602-remote-power-programming-swit

Then we could customise to suit each installation! 

• Like 1

I'm glad this thread has been resurected :D I have the same dillema as the OP.

The HW1060 switch doesn't fit the cut outs and I've found that they come unstuck from the chassis. Clipping them onto the ESC itself isn't always practical due to the location of the ESC. I like to be able to turn on and off with the shell on so ideally need a switch to fit the cut out.

Any confirmation that the ones in the Maplin link fit the cutout or is there anything else out there? I'm proficient in soldering.

What about JST / BEC on/off switch harness, 2 lead ? Could I just solder the ESC to one set of black and red wire's and snip the other off and seal it with heat shrink?

No, you will need to open up the switch, and solder one (red) wire to one end pin , the (black) wire to the centre pin, and disconnect the other set of wires, and close the switch box again.  

Then connect the other end of the wires to the ESC.

I just put a plug and socket between the switch and ESC, to enable me to change the ESC without removing the switch from the car.

• Like 1

Most ESCs I've opened up, the switch merely interrupts the BEC circuit to the RX.

If you just left the ESC switch 'on' and ignored it (safely tucked away), get a short M-F servo extension lead and put a suitable switch into either the red or black lines. Plug ESC into that then into Ch2 and you'd get a remote switch.

(Adds some extra points of potential failure though)

That's how I solved the issue. As there are no commercial available switches with one bipolar wire, as the one we use in TEU Tamiya ESCs, I designed and 3D printed it. Seems to work OK and, as previuosly mentioned, I'm able to replace the ESC without removing the switch. It uses standard DPDT 6 slide switch with M2 mounting holes with a wheelbase of 19mm.

20210502_121115.jpg

20210502_121120.jpg

20210502_121142.jpg

or just buy modelsports.....xt-12 or xt-20 esc's that have a traditional switch and lipo cutoff etc, I prefer them to hobbywing 1060, they have slightly longer wires as well and are slimmer...

just another option 

23 hours ago, taffer said:

or just buy modelsports.....xt-12 or xt-20 esc's that have a traditional switch and lipo cutoff etc, I prefer them to hobbywing 1060, they have slightly longer wires as well and are slimmer...

just another option 

Nice models, did not know them! However I do not like the bare switch so I would put anyway the case I designed on them.... thanks for sharing!

I've had four of them over the last 5-10 years, one the switch wire came off, I could of cut the switch off and put another on but it was just in warranty so modelsport fixed it for free.

No other issues with water, mud etc

If you can still source them, I have been using the below SPST switch from who none other than RADIOSHACK!  :lol:   Since my cars use the rubber grommets over the switch lever, I screwed a small 2mm into the lever itself for extra height.

IMG_Mar272021at55921PM.jpg.ea34b46ab993a7731841dd3286d93260.jpg

• Like 1