Sign in to follow this  
RiZZa

380 brushless vs 540 brushed

In the 1:1 fuel powered world, they say "There's no replacement for displacement". Does the same ring true for our small electric powered cars ? I ask as I'm picking up either a Holiday Buggy or Sand Rover tomorrow and am thinking about not changing to a 540 motor.

Is there a question in there??  I'm not really sure what you're trying to ask...

If you are referring to brushless motors such as the EZ-Run series by HobbyWing that have a smaller 380 size stator, just be aware that these motors are the same physical size as a 540 motor because of the cooling fins machined into the aluminium outer casing.. These motors also have a 1/8 inch shaft like a 540 motor, instead of the 2mm shaft in the 380 size motor, and the same mounting hole spacing as a 540 motor..

As for the performance of the EZ-Run motors, I have a 13 turn in my Tamiya M05 that is as quick as a brushed Tamiya Sport Tuned motor...  I also have a 9Turn (4300Kv) EZ-Run, in my Wild Willy 2, and it has no troubles lifting the front wheels.. 

The reality is that a 380 motor wont (shouldn't) have the same amount of torque as a 540 motor.

380 can motors in brushed or brushless produce less torque than it's 540 counterpart, so in the same cars the 380 will be slower, but will generally run for longer.

Edited by Darat76
Re Read the title

Id' stick with the 540, whether brushed or brushless. If you fit a 380 in the sand rover you will have an extra gear to turn as well, as if I remember rightly you remove one of them when fitting the 540. If you are after a bit more poke from a standard silver can, use a hobbywing 1060 ESC and a 3S LiPo transmitter battery (These are good for 1800mah and will easily cover the current draw of a silver can, and are light into the bargain.)

And yes, there is no substitute for cubic inches ;)

Are we talking about vintage or re-release Holiday Buggy/Sand Rover?

A bit late at the party...

There are finned 540 brushless motors which are 380 on the inside and there are real 380 brushless motors (28mm diameter).

The real 380 sized motors are intended for 1/12-1/16 scale cars but I think they should push a light and efficient 2WD quite well but it will need to have the same pinion size as the 380 would have in the car so a higher KV rating should be selected than for a 540 sized motor. These do have 3.17mm shafts so a Lunchbox pinion should do I guess. The lower gearing should (to a certain degree) make up for the loss in torque of the smaller motor but I think a full blown 540 brushless would be overkill anyway.

I have been thinking about putting such a motor in my grasshopper. An additional bonus in that car would be keeping the unsprung weight in check.