Derka

Tamiya Touring Chassis brushed motor compatability?

8 minutes ago, Derka said:

Awesome. Well, the TA07 generally seems to have been accepted as a good club racer. Its got a fairly hefty price tag though of £200!
Food for thought tomorrow TA05 vs TA07!

Thank you guys :)

yup, 200 quid for the car, 50 quid for the for the brushless combo, 2 plus years of racing fun for no extra cost barring bad driving and breakages :D

Speaking as someone that has raced all the TA cars. The 07 is the best. The 05 is close and still very good (but 10 years old) the TA06 is not very good.

as an aside I will see if my TRF419x still fits a silvercan.  Although I recommend the 07 or 05.

• Like 2

Due to the design of the motor mount, a TRF 419 (and very likely a 419X as well) won't fit a brushed motor. It's made for a motor with two mounting holes side by side, (12 and 1 o'clock), not across from each other (12 and 6 o'clock). 

3 hours ago, GooneyBird said:

Due to the design of the motor mount, a TRF 419 (and very likely a 419X as well) won't fit a brushed motor. It's made for a motor with two mounting holes side by side, (12 and 1 o'clock), not across from each other (12 and 6 o'clock). 

The super stock motors I have have the mounting holes side by side ie 12 and 1 o'clock.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, svenb said:

The super stock motors I have have the mounting holes side by side ie 12 and 1 o'clock.

I stand corrected then. I've never seen a brushed motor with side-by-side holes. Those should fit a TRF then. 

30 minutes ago, GooneyBird said:

I stand corrected then. I've never seen a brushed motor with side-by-side holes. Those should fit a TRF then. 

I dont know about all super stocks but i'll double check tonight😉

How about a f103gt chassis? if the track is suitable that is!

sven

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GooneyBird said:

It seems that you can buy an adaptor plate that allows you to fit a brushed motor into a TRF 418/419..

b_47320_SUB_1.jpg

Thanks guys.

In the end I have bought a used TA05 as the TA07 was a bit pricey just now for me,

The TA05 is tried and tested and seems a good club racer!

Our club also run Mardave 1/12 cars so we're running the same oval which is quite tight for the tourers as its 4m wide by 16 m long.

The TA05 will be great. The V1 arms (same as TA04) are very tough and will be fine for an oval.

No, no, no. 0.4 mod spurs only fit 0.4 mod pinions. In a pinch a 64 pitch pinion will somewhat, but it will run extremely rough and destroy the spur in a few battery packs. 0.4 mod pinions will last a long time indoors. I've had my TRF for about 2 years, racing it every other weekend, and so far I've gone through 3 spurs and 1 pinion in the whole time.

You might be able to fit a 48 pitch spur (and matching pinion), but keep your FDR in mind before you cook a motor. Done right, it should work as long as you can make it fit halfway decently.

Sorry I should of made clear...

I believe stock it comes with 0.4 Mod Spur.

I dont have any pinons or indeed spurs with this 0.4 Mod gearing.

Id like to replace the Spur with some of similar teeth but in 48DP as I have an assortment of 48DP Pinion already

Yep, the TA05 will take standard spur gears so you can swap in a 48dp one. Although you will have less teeth than the 0.4 mod gear as they are much larger for 48dp. 

I run 0.4 mod / 64dp in my touring cars as it gives me finer gearing adjustments. They are totally interchangeable as my pit box has many Tamiya spurs / pinions mixed with other 64dp brands and they run as smooth as silk. 

Brilliant OK. I will see what it comes with and ill look into 64dp gears if I need to change anything.

I think my TT-02 stock was a FDR of 8.2x something and ideally, we want nothing faster than FDR 8 on our track

@qatmix, what brand pinions and spurs do you use? I've tried a few RW racing pinions and they ate through the 0.4 mod spurs within a few battery packs. 0.4/0.4 combinations do last quite a while, so I'm not meshing them wrong I think.

@Derka, those are some pretty high FDRs! Must be quite a tight track. I regularly run at a small indoor track, and my 17.5t TRF has an FDR of around 5, which works well there.

Yup, it's a small oval of 16m long and 4m wide. I can barely go full throttle for more than a second or so with my Tamiya sport tuned.

The stock TT02 had 8.xx something and was more than fast enough really

On 9/19/2016 at 2:42 PM, GooneyBird said:

@qatmix, what brand pinions and spurs do you use? I've tried a few RW racing pinions and they ate through the 0.4 mod spurs within a few battery packs. 0.4/0.4 combinations do last quite a while, so I'm not meshing them wrong I think.

@Derka, those are some pretty high FDRs! Must be quite a tight track. I regularly run at a small indoor track, and my 17.5t TRF has an FDR of around 5, which works well there.

I have used the RW pinions (steel), although I now have started to move over to the lightweight CoreRC coated aluminium ones as I can save quite a lot of weight when running 58t aluminum ones compared to the steel ones.

Appreciate you've bought the TA05 now and it's a lovely chassis, my TA05v2 is one of my favourite chassis.  I've had my TA07 for a couple of months now and it's nice and seems quite robust.  We run brushed HPI Saturn 20 motors and a Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 ESC.  The motors are £9 and the speedos are about £19 UK or ish £14 on eBay.  They've been utterly reliable and round a small track the lap times are within a second or so of a 17.5 brushless blinky Touring Car.  The HW speedo is also Lipo compatible and you can disable the reverse function if needed.  And if you want to go really fast it'll easily take a 15T HPI Firebolt motor too.

Another fan of the Hobbywing Quickrun ESC here. I run one in nearly every brushed car I have, as they cost basically nothing (compared to other brushed ESCs), are widely available, and run everything down to a 12t motor. The only gripe I have is that while the on/off switch clips neatly into the housing, it's not of a standard size so you can't use the nice mounting holes Tamiya provides you with on most chassis.