Lhodgo

Sticker Peel

Any advice on how to repair vintage stickers that are peeling at the ends? Glue, double sided tape, clear coat over the top?

cheers.

image.jpeg

In my case, I clean the surface and then use clear Shoe Goo.

...also helps with shoes. :)

I'm interested in reading about what other TCers do when facing this problem.

I usally do the doble-sided tape trick and it works alright so far. :)

Is the original glue still on the back of the decal? If so you may try softening the glue with warm soapy water (as if applying for the first time) Then using a hair dryer to bring the tack back to the glue, then rub down with a lint free cloth. No guarantees but it's worth a try ;)

I have to say I'm really happy with the way my redone Supershot body came out.  Very well by my standards for my own work.  However even though they were only applied months ago the red stickers on either side of the body are peeling up along the edges!  It's very frustrating.  I got a whole extra set of original decals to keep on hand in case these ones turn out to be a problem.

So, to revive this topic, does anyone want to second any of the above methods?  Or do you know of another (maybe better) way to get them to stay in place?

31384141695_0b0b4229b1_o.jpg

• Like 1

When I made a new body I usually prevent the peeling using the nail polish of the women.

I use it on the edges of the body, where the stickers finish and, obviously, I use the transparent.

I also use it, a very little bit, where the stickers are very thin, for example in a situation similar to the Shogun in the first picture.

Max

It depends from the situation.

In a freshly applied new sticker I put it on the border of the body, where the sticker finishes. The nail polish will keep it in place and the sticker will never peel.

In a situation like the Shogun, I apply the nail polish under the sticker and I use it like a glue, but very very small amount. Then, I will apply the sticker again. I need to wait the right amount of seconds before apply the sticker down again. The nail polish needs to dry a little bit to avoid messes.

If the sticker is freshly applied, and I already know that it will peel, I apply a little bit on the edge of the sticker, with a very very small brush, just a line.

To make this you must have a very good quality nail polish (it is expensive), a very small brush (00) and a very firm hand.

Not easy to do and not easy to have a good results without a good skill.

Max

Just a thought but if you have a peeling sticker, surely a small piece of double sided sticky tape would work ?

Just trim off any excess carefully with a scalpel ?

would like to revive this and ask the Q as it died a death quite quickly.

I am looking and reworking some tamiya decals on an 80s car that were applied by a teenager (obvs) 

I want to attempt to reapply 

Hair dryer

tamiya decal adhesive

just interested what people like to do

worst case is to buy a new set from MCI

JJ

You could try a brush of "3M Primer 94 Adhesion Promoter" on the bodyshell to help the decals original glue stick firmer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Primer-Pint-Wrapping-Application/dp/B0088P1LNY

Read the reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B0088P1LNY/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_cmps_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

You can get smaller amounts, both on Amazon or eBay.

There are two types of Tamiya decal glue

One is a v light adhesive / softener that straightens out wrinkled decals a treat - whether still on their old sheet or rising with desiccation after being placed 

The second is a thicker / firmer lacquer type adhesive that can either be used incredibly sparingly to reattach rising decals (because you’ll otherwise leave a tiny bump) or thinned to ‘seal coat’ when back in situ 

Both are cheap + work way better than anything else I’ve found 

Although to be fair you never get the problem if you properly clear coat final shells in the first place 😂