tamiya wrc

Tamiya petrol RC cars

Hello...I am interested in Tamiya petrol engine cars...is there any shopping website with good prices?...what it is your opinion about a TG10-Mk.1 model...because I dont have much experience...it is possible to mount body kit number 51364 Subaru impreza wrc 2008 on chassis TG10-Mk.1...thanks. 

My first advice would be to do some research. I made the mistake years ago of buying a nitro car without doing any research what so ever on running,tuning or even starting! 

After a few days of trying to start the thing.......i bought a glow plug starter......then bought nitro fuel to put in the tank! 

Different % nitro content fuels, require a different heat range of glow plug etc etc.

There was a discussion on electric vs nitro cars.

My first question is, where in the world are you located? 

Next question is so you have any other rc cars?

Yes I already have rc car tamiya TL-01 chassis...in my country EU slovenia there is no any supplier for tamiya rc cars...and it is a big difference between electric and nitro cars...for example a big problem is battery (it takes 15 minutes and than you need to charge it again) also mehanical speed controler it is quite rough control you find it only on vintage tamiya models like my;) ...so I am asking about experience with tamiya glow engine rc cars and what do you recommend...it is a good model TG10-Mk.1...thanks.

Have you considered buying a better battery, ESC and motor for your current car? For Tamiya, brushless tech has superseded their nitro cars. You only get 5-15min run time out of a Tamiya nitro before you need to leave to cool for 30mins anyway; that or something breaks.

A brushless combo, 2x 4000mha+ battery (stick pack 7.2v or lipo 7.4) and a good quality fast charger will keep you running till you are bored.

Nitro cars (Tamiya are nitro not petrol) are not overly easy to run or maintain and the Tamiya ones are long out of production for spares etc. 

Want Nitro, buy a Traxxas as worldwide spare support is going to be much better. I assume you have a local dealer who supplies the fuel?

Modelsport ships to your country as does hobbyking (select the EU warehouse for 2-3 day shipping ) for upgrading your electric kit.

• Like 2

Is there anyone who give me some opinion about tamiya glow engine cars...I didn't know that during running nitro engine cars you need stop every 15 min to cool down the engine? ...about upgrade if I want to do that I need to replace bearings, speed controler, engine and battery...this is maybe cost me like new chassis...

IC engines can run for much longer than 15 mins if they are tuned correctly, some engines are very finicky to get a nice consistent tune on them, the best option is to run a well known brand of engine, that will hold its tune like OS, Novarossi, Reds, Picco.

i have no experience with Tamiya IC cars, so cannot offer any specific advice on those.

Hi , I have a lot of experience with nitro engines (30 years), building them and racing in a few different classes... and they can run for more than 15mins at a time as most of of the finals for racing are 45min long,

I love Nitro cars and have quite a few tgx/tg10 and others, all of my runners give me virtually zero problems because they are tuned correctly and maintained after use.

However, if you don't have any experience or know someone locally that does i would recommend that you stick to electric cars with better batteries and an electronic speed controller.

What do you mean with "tuned correctly" is there any specific knowledge or something...and when you are talking about maintenance after every use what exactly do you mean...maybe clean some parts...probably it is much expensive to maintenance a nitro engine car than electro...thanks.

By tuned correctly i mean that the carburetor is set for the fuel used (% nitro ) and the temperature on the the day, some carbs have up to 3 separate adjustments (needle valves) and if the engine is allowed to run too weak mixture or too hot damage can occur very quickly.

Maintenance  is required to the air filter after every few runs or everytime in dusty conditions, engine damage will occur rapidly without a good air filter, the engine should be treated with after run oil at the end of a days running as a bi-product of the combustion/fuel leaves a corrosive residue that will rust the bearings if left for even short periods.

The car should be cleaned after use as usual , the clutch should be checked after a few runs to make sure the spring has not become weak and the bearings are not worn in the clutch bell.

My experience with the Tamiya TG10 has not been so favorable as Disco's but its been so long since I have even seen one run let alone used one myself, I suspect the ones I used were badly set up/looked after then which has jaded my experience of these. 

I have owned and run Traxxas nitro trucks which have all been solid runners but they still require considerable effort to set up and maintain.  

As i said in the 'electric v nitro' post. If i was to only have 1 car, it would be a lipo, brushless one.

I would have thought most suppliers/ebay etc would ship to Europe.