Terz1

The correct way to say TAMIYA

I love to build, modify, drive and watch rc's and see what people get up to with theirs. I really like the youtubes people make which come from all parts of the world. It got me thinking what is the official way to say 'TAMIYA'. With all the different countries and all the different dialects I've heard it said so many ways.

I've heard -                         TU-MY-A

TU-ME-A

TA-MY-A

TA-ME-A

TAM-YAR

*Tried to write how I've heard it said.                     

This is how I say it -         TAM-E-YAR . I'm from the north west of England. So how do you say it and where do you come from? :D

On a side note there's a car called the subaru impreza. I say Im-prez-a but I've heard so many refer to it as an Im-pret-za? 

I say it the same as you Terz...

I'm pretty sure there was a poll on this, once in the foggy past?

• Like 2

Is there a poll. I'd love to dig that up. I was actually thinking of doing a poll. I love all the different dialects that are out there. I think when I say tamiya I do tail off into pirate mode. Tam-e-yar :lol:

18 minutes ago, Prescient said:

Tamm-Ya, the i is slient

i guess that is the right pronounciation.

concerning impreza: the word is derived from the italian "impresa" and pronounced im-pre-sa (is this correct kontemax?)

• Like 1

I always said TUH-MY-AH.

that's the way my older brother said it back in the day, so of course that's the only correct way to say it. Those that say it differently are clueless noobs! (my inner dialog from 25 years ago :D).

• Like 1

I've always heard and said 'Tah - mi - yah'.

Of course the proper (long) pronunciation is 'Take - my - money - ah'

:D 

• Like 10

Not sure which Areshee Garu (RC Girl) I love most.
Yeah Japanese isn't too hard pronunciation wise. Things are generally pronounced how they are spelt.

Ta mi (me) ya. Said quickly with even emphasis on all three sounds.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pablo68 said:

Not sure which Areshee Garu (RC Girl) I love most.
Yeah Japanese isn't too hard pronunciation wise. Things are generally pronounced how they are spelt.

Ta mi (me) ya. Said quickly with even emphasis on all three sounds.

I think the one on the left (viewers) is such a cutie. I wish them both the best in their hosting duties. :D

• Like 2

Quite funny, this ^_^

As I am a Flemish Belgian with an American wife and who lives in Sweden, I've been exposed to all sorts of pronounciations of the name.

I mainly pronounce it Ta-Mi-Já

My wife would see Te-Má-Ja

The owner of my LHS says Ta-Mááá-Ja

Such a confusing world we live in :D

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IBIFTKH said:

I've always heard and said 'Tah - mi - yah'.

Of course the proper (long) pronunciation is 'Take - my - money - ah'

:D 

:lol: There are soo many ways to say it and I don't think any are wrong. I think IBIFTKH nailed it with TAKE-MY-MONEY. That's soo true!

On a side note to this years back in the UK there was a comedy on called Rab C. Nesbitt which was based in Scotland. Now even though they speak english some people can't understand what they were saying due to their strong dialect (the main character mainly). I had no trouble but at the time one of my mums bosses who really liked the programme had to watch it with subtitles on so he knew what they were saying.

Another time my brother went down to London and for the life of him couldn't get the guy at the burger van to understand what he wanted. He wanted a burger with chips. He said it once, the guy said sorry what was that again? He said it again, again the guy said sorry what do you want? He then asked my brother to say it slowly. So he says can I have a b-u-r-g-e-r and c-h-i-p-s. The guy just shook his head and said can you just pount it out on the board? :rolleyes: :lol: Now that's in england the only difference being my brothers a northern guy and he was a southerner. Just shows how the same language can be spoke in so many different ways.

Anyway back to TAM-I-YA :D

I say it Ta-me-a.

In other news, who in Jeebus' name was the pronunciation coach on the 1st FnF ?

• Like 1

When you call Tamiya USA on the phone, I think they pronounce it Tu-Me-Uh.  The old USA promo videos sounded more like Ta-me-uh. Either way it's "me" in the middle.

• Like 1