Terz1

The correct way to say TAMIYA

Recommended Posts

"Ta" as in the name "Tom"

"Mi" as in "doh-ray-MI-fah-soh-lah-tee-doh"

"Ya" as in "Yacht"

No emphasis on any one syllable, they are all equal.

Terry

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 94eg! said:

When you call Tamiya USA on the phone, I think they pronounce it Tu-Me-Uh.  The old USA promo videos sounded more like Ta-me-uh. Either way it's "me" in the middle.

Which is incorrect, much like Mars-da (Mazda) and Knee-sarn (Nissan) etc.

I doubt after half a century or so every American is going to pronounce it differently now, as long as you all know what you are refering to then it's not a big deal.

I have wondered if Tamiya Japan (or Mr Tamiya-san) is bothered by the mispronounciation.

You guys want to come to New Zealand and see the foreigners (and half the kiwi's) try to pronounce the Maóri names :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, berman said:

Mars-da (Mazda) and Knee-sarn (Nissan) 

There is no English equivalent to "TSU" in Japanese, ie "Ma-Tsu-Da"...  "Z" is as close as you get, ie "Mazda"...

In my experience, Americans say "Nissan" pretty much correctly, though always with an American accent...  

Terry

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

like whakatane @berman?

prolly a bad choice coz we can't do the phonetic spelling of that one...

let's run with waimakariri instead :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/09/2016 at 8:26 PM, Darat76 said:

like whakatane @berman?

prolly a bad choice coz we can't do the phonetic spelling of that one...

let's run with waimakariri instead :D

 

How about Why Kick a Moo Cow?

 

On 24/09/2016 at 6:31 PM, Frog Jumper said:

There is no English equivalent to "TSU" in Japanese, ie "Ma-Tsu-Da"...  "Z" is as close as you get, ie "Mazda"...

In my experience, Americans say "Nissan" pretty much correctly, though always with an American accent...  

Terry

 

 

There is also no R in Mazda either. We are talking about a car manufacturer, not a chocolate coated snack bar or a planet.

Re: Nissan = no, I think it is still mispronounced.  But as I said earlier:

On 24/09/2016 at 4:58 PM, berman said:

...as long as you all know what you are refering to then it's not a big deal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, highflyer said:

I'll trust Scotty Ernst (world wide race promoter), TA MEE YA 

 

seriousLEE.jpg

Oh Scotty Ernst-san...

from America.

 

2016-09-28%2017.04.23_zpslxf14jze.jpg

(M@d MS paint skillz...)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, firefoxussr said:

With proud-to-be-redneck culture it's "tah my uh" :D

Now ask someone what the proper pronunciation of Lancia is.....

I had to google it...  I've been saying "lan-see-ya" for years...  Oh well...

Terry

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, it's like the word Barchetta.  Doesn't work phonetically in english.  (it's 'bar ketta' btw).

I'm a fan of saying "lan-sha" or "lan-cha"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barchetta is also one of the prettiest wrong-wheel-drive sportscars of all time:

fiat-barchetta-12.jpg

I think if Tamiya is going to put the MX-5 on a wrong-wheel-drive chassis, they should make the Fiat Barchetta, Lotus Elan M100 and Alfa Romeo GTV.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/09/2016 at 11:11 PM, Terz1 said:

:lol: There are soo many ways to say it and I don't think any are wrong.

Yes they are :lol: ;) All are wrong, except one. (After all, it's a Japanese family name, not just a made-up corporate name).

On 27/09/2016 at 5:26 AM, highflyer said:

I'll trust Scotty Ernst (world wide race promoter),

TA MEE YA

This is definitely correct  ^^^^^^^  As heard in any official Japanese Tamiya video. They say it quite quickly.

And while we're at it... ;)...

LEGO is LEGO. Even in plural.

There is no such thing as "Legos".

If I ever truly lose it, ala Michael Douglas in "Falling Down", this could well be my trigger :blink::lol:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All you need to remember is that there are no long vowel sounds in Japanese. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always pronounced it as 'TAM-E-YA'

Like I used to call the Ford Mondeo 'MON-DEE-O' as its spelt, but Ford pronounce it as 'MON-DAY-O'

At school, my mate and I always disagreed on the pronunciation of the Lamborghini Countach

I've always said 'COUNT-ACK' but he said 'COUN-TARSH', who is right or wrong?

Oh and I've always said it as 'LANCE-CIA' but I'm wrong about that too!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, lupogtiboy said:

I've always pronounced it as 'TAM-E-YA'

Like I used to call the Ford Mondeo 'MON-DEE-O' as its spelt, but Ford pronounce it as 'MON-DAY-O'

At school, my mate and I always disagreed on the pronunciation of the Lamborghini Countach

I've always said 'COUNT-ACK' but he said 'COUN-TARSH', who is right or wrong?

Oh and I've always said it as 'LANCE-CIA' but I'm wrong about that too!

Kun-tosh. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lupogtiboy said:

At school, my mate and I always disagreed on the pronunciation of the Lamborghini Countach

I've always said 'COUNT-ACK' but he said 'COUN-TARSH', who is right or wrong?

One of my bosses genuinely thought Lamborghini was pronounced "Lambor genie".   I didn't correct him but once :D

& regarding Lancia when I said my car was a "Lahn-chah Beta Coupe", people would say "You drive a lawn chair?" *  :lol:

 

*disclaimer: this was in Kansas, where people "warshed their car".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2016 at 0:26 PM, highflyer said:

I'll trust Scotty Ernst (world wide race promoter), TA MEE YA 

 

seriousLEE.jpg

 

15 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

Yes they are :lol: ;) All are wrong, except one. (After all, it's a Japanese family name, not just a made-up corporate name).

This is definitely correct  ^^^^^^^  As heard in any official Japanese Tamiya video. They say it quite quickly.

And while we're at it... ;)...

LEGO is LEGO. Even in plural.

There is no such thing as "Legos".

If I ever truly lose it, ala Michael Douglas in "Falling Down", this could well be my trigger :blink::lol:

 

13 hours ago, redzone said:

All you need to remember is that there are no long vowel sounds in Japanese. 

Oh yes, thanks for clearing that up mates.  Just used a little emphasis on the MEE part ;)...

 

Now we got Hibernaculum LEGO (I learned something just now, thank you :)), and berman being berman "can't touch" :lol::lol:!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2016 at 8:31 AM, Theibault said:

Kun-tosh. 

 

On 9/29/2016 at 1:37 PM, berman said:

I thought it was "can't touch" :lol:

Either way, "can't touch" this...

BmNUrj.gif

 

Sorry for going off topic :lol:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now