Sign in to follow this  
Nitomor

Grasshopper Candy Green Edition Build

I received a Grasshopper Candy Green edition from my wife last xmas and after having it out on the table for the last 2 weeks just got around to starting it last night.

My first exposure to RC cars was first a Buffalo bobcat or something which my uncle bought in the early 80's, this broke every two seconds and he replaced it with a Grasshopper which him and my Grandfather both bought one each. I remember visiting one day and they were both up the table building them together. One was white and one painted red. A year later I got a Hornet for my birthday which as my first has always held a special place for me and lots of memories.

While I owned a Hornet I did fit a grasshopper shell to it which I sprayed red. I have no idea where it ended up, I think it was stolen. Anyway, it was interesting building the GH, I never appreciated all the subtle difference between it and the Hornet, I though it was just rear tyres, rear shocks and motor. 

Box Art...

large.image.jpeg.2c06814c18c5642a97b2d93

Box contents...

large.image.jpeg.9760def78e91c3739e032dc

It comes with TEU105 speed controller and I shall be using a Tamiya pistol tx and rx with a tamiya steering servo (both robbed from my old terra crusher). It'll be a stock build for the moment with metal bearings the only deviation.

• Like 1

So total build time was about 3 hrs, just painting the driver, lights and body detailing and decalling to do.

It's the first time I've had a 380 motor, couldn't believe how small it is...and I note the pinion isn't detachable...

large.image.jpeg.a670df70e5269d991a535fa

Although I was aware the GH used a 380 motor, for some reason I thought an extra part was required to run an optional 540 motor, I don't know why given the gbox is as per the Hornet, well it is the opposite case, the 380 uses it's own plate to mate to the box...

large.image.jpeg.034259457136b40c0f6f5c9

Rear shocks differnt to the Hornet, these aren't oil filled, also I never realised that the GH had a fixed rear gearbox rather than the rolling rear axle of the Hornet/Lunchbox. It is fixed at the pivot, I wonder what difference that makes.

large.image.jpeg.fb7c844fe5393c366172625

Front shocks also different to Hornet in that no spacer/pretensioner...

large.image.jpeg.57bb4b3e3f55eee505137d4

Electronics all in...

large.image.jpeg.9606405ca1a6f4435bba17d

Did some more tidying to the wiring and that's about it...

large.image.jpeg.4b3fb5af93c9f424f81de7e

Bit of a lame thread I'm afraid but I like to run one for each of my cars, helps me keep track of changes later. I expect I will big wheel it at some point like all my buggies and fit a torque tuned 540 to match the larger wheels. Otherwise just some paint details and decals to finish. Now that it's substantially complete I expect this will set there with all my other 99% complete kits lol for about a year before I finish it!!

• Like 2

Nice! To me this is the ultimate grasshopper and the correct colour. I like the original, there's nothing wrong with the black edition except it looks very much like a hornet with that colour scheme. I think these must be the rarest too. When I get a grasshopper I'd hope for this candy green edition but it's unlikely. I'll probably have to buy an original and do a candy green paint job. 

And yes the 380 motor is really tiny. I've bought quite a few hornet and grasshopper bundles on ebay (got a vintage mk1 and mk2 chassis in those B)) and the first time I saw the 380 motor in one it made me chuckle. I think the fixed pivot attaching the gearbox to the chassis and the lack of oil filled shocks may make it even bouncier than the hornet. The fixed pivot does eliminate the the side to side movement of the gearbox leaving it to just move up and down at that pivot point.

I know you'll have your own ideas but with this special edition I'd keep it completely standard and admire it on a shelf. B)

• Like 1

Nice build. I've been trying to track down a green edition at a reasonable price for a while now but they are just a bit unreasonable right now. Until the time comes that I can find a real one I've bought a second re-re white car and painted it with the correct green paint. Currently I have the White, Black (real one) and a fake Green edition sitting on the shelf.  I've done the same with the LunchBox. I have a Yellow built, and a Blue and Black sitting in the box waiting.  Really would like to find a Gold edition. 

I must agree with Terz. These cars are rare enough that it really should be a shelf queen. Buy yourself a second grasshopper off ebay and paint the body green for a runner. 

• Like 1

99 euros at tamico at the moment...

http://tamico.de/Tamiya-Grasshopper-Bausatz-Candy-Gruen-84331

This won't be a runner, it'll stay a shelfer to accompany my black metallic and Jun Watanabe Hornets, I keep a regular Monster Hornet as one of my usual runners and it's great! I agree, I think it's the ideal incarnation of the GH, being green like a real grasshopper and all!! I'm glad to have this one, I'd like to pick out the tyre lettering in white. I'll see how it sits in the cabinet, I don't want to change out the motor, I may well leave it with the stock wheels, it is after all the quintessential entry level Tamiya!!

Towerhobbies just got a shipment of candy green grasshoppers in.  MUST RESIST TEMPTATION!!!