Nitomor

Aqroshot DT03-T 'Monster Racer'

Thanks, approx £205 plus the £70 odd of the kit so £275 in all excl servo/receiver.

That said, as a modern day monster racer it's now quite convincing and mirrors much of the MR chassis, motor out back, fully adjustable geometry, ball diff, anti roll bars, a light peppering of carbon, with the added bonus of better grip tyres, beadlocks and better battery protection :)

Can't comment really yet, only been around the kitchen!!

Still some more decalling to do but that's it for tonight...

large.IMG_1276.JPG.832c16fe85dbee2b95158

large.IMG_1275.JPG.e3c3757aeab3e40d75d87

Some tidying up to do around the windows yet but that should just be some touching in around the frames/detailing...

large.IMG_1272.JPG.f7bc74e721545d639e41e

• Like 6

Ok your taking the mic now with all this teasing ;) Looks great so far though. Can't wait to see an outdoor running vid once its all finished.

James

:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nitomor said:

Thanks, approx £205 plus the £70 odd of the kit so £275 in all excl servo/receiver.

That said, as a modern day monster racer it's now quite convincing and mirrors much of the MR chassis, motor out back, fully adjustable geometry, ball diff, anti roll bars, a light peppering of carbon, with the added bonus of better grip tyres, beadlocks and better battery protection :)

Great work mate!

If I'd built this, then Tamiya would've announced a Monster Racer re-re for £99.99 before I switched the radio on :lol:

Lol, they probably still will rere it. That said, if the stock MR gbox is as weak as they say, regardless of how good the rest of the truck is it's still inherently flawed. Hopefully this will be a good alternative. It's not been cheap but at least I've been able to build/add to it bit by bit which spreads the cost. It's not until you add it all up that it hits home how much it was lol!

Jim I can't wait to test it, been waiting ages for bits to complete it!!! 

• Like 1

Looking fantastic. To me it's mostly about the build and you've put some great additions onto this kit. It should be a great handling monster truggy with the bonus of it being more robust than the kit that inspired you to build it. 

Really looking forward to the shell being stickered up and to see a running video.

• Like 1

Thanks Terz, I've really enjoyed the build and collecting all the bits together, they must think I'm a big child at work as these little packages keep arriving from near and far!!

I certainly hope that it lives up to expectations and can hold a candle to the revered MR chassis.

just to summarise the spec for my own sanity....

DT03T with stock cva's/torque tuned motor plus;

• Full Bearings
  • Tamiya Ball Diff
  • Tamiya Universal shafts
  • Tamiya turnbuckle set
  • Tamiya Anti roll bar set
  • Tamiya carbon damper mount front
  • Tamiya carbon damper mount rear
  • Tamiya hop up spring set
  • Tamiya Hi torque servo saver
  • Tamiya CR01 beadlock wheels with Proline Holeshot T rear
  • Tamiya CR01 beadlock wheels with Proline Edge front
  • Tamiya Monster Racer shell
  • Junfac 13mm axle widener rear
  • Gpm bearing to hex adapters front

Waiting on the Gpm bearing/hex converter and need to fit the new damper mounts, servo saver, arb's. After that a 19T pinion and brushless will finish it off. I may rob a metal geared servo out of another model too to add a touch of weight to the front and then  I'm there :)

• Like 5

That's great to add the list of parts for the build awesome stuff, if you don't like it after running I'll buy it off ya ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

That's great to add the list of parts for the build awesome stuff, if you don't like it after running I'll buy it off ya ;)

Oi, get in line ;):P

James

:)

• Like 1

Cheers gents, you can bid for the little pieces after it gets smashed to bits on its first top speed run ;)

conveniently these arrived today...

large.IMG_1282.JPG.85f6298b4153c3710ef56

they're designed for the regular DT03 with shorter axles so I had to use an 850 bushing and 2 1150 bushes on each axle to space it out...as it happens these wheels wouldn't have worked on a stock axle because of the deep offset, the wheel would have hit the steering ball/arms.

large.IMG_1283.JPG.226344a7687cf9b93af0f

Got some more decals done, still some more to go until it's done...but that's mainly a few sponsor decals!

large.IMG_1281.JPG.b80d2def380826b767919

Well chuffed with the front grill...

large.IMG_1279.JPG.6abac862c3dc0bcf9c41d

large.IMG_1280.JPG.797c994993c87fdc10310

More tomorrow evening :)

• Like 7

B) Looks the business! Definitely one of my favourite tamiya shells. You've got to be pleased with how it turned out. Great project.

• Like 1

This has turned out better than I could have imagined.  Someone needs to get these photos in the hands of a Tamiya executive.  A truck that looks like that but costs around the same as a DT03 could kick start stadium truck racing again.

• Like 3

Looks fantastic! You did a great job with the paint and decals. My only thought ... is there any way to slam the body down some more? Regardless, I agree with Blista, someone needs to pass this idea along to the Tamiya marketing folks.

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments. 

Yes I'm very pleased with it, I have a few bits of paint touch ups to do yet, around the windows and maybe black sharpie some window frames.

The tyres/wheels look a little on the small side to me, even though there is probably less than 1mm between the Tamiya ribs and Prolines! I'd also like to find a way to close in the arches/chassis a bit more. Maybe with a chopped up coke bottle!

I tried some different wheel combos, i think it looks great with the WT 130mm spikes on the rear but could do with a little more tyre on the front. That said, I reckon these tyres are really going to grip!!

Playing with tyres, 130mm pin spikes rear...making the difference from Stadium to Monster...

large.IMG_1296.JPG.ecab8890f54462721e367

Red Blitzer wheels front with HPI geolandars front, 130mm rears...

large.IMG_1295.JPG.65683aec7a94fcc0cc1e2

the MR fronts...with Proline rears...

large.IMG_1300.JPG.e0a65f5ef071e261cfdbf

Prolines all round, approx 102mm iirc...

large.IMG_1299.JPG.79752f5e27b67cca4a47a

Might try 130mm all round tomorrow to see if they clear on the front!!

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

yes it can be slammed right down...here's one I took yesterday before finishing the decals, I had it down lower...

large.IMG_1284.JPG.62e9d912404af1583de28

When going lower though it exagerrates the longer wheelbase of the DT03...

large.IMG_1286.JPG.179762fa67dde7acebba4

• Like 4

Cheers Jim.

This evening I fitted the carbon strut towers and anti roll bars...

Front:

large.IMG_1107.JPG.16a6beb7ea7614ae38dd1

I went with the soft arb option front and rear...

large.IMG_1108.JPG.081ec777bbe6582ceac73

The towers also came with balls for the dampers to mount on instead of step screws.

Hi torque servo saver and mg servo to fit tomorrow all being well, then hopefully a little shakedown run :)

large.IMG_1109.JPG.cee935a23075d6bde5e49

Brushless may need to wait until xmas!

• Like 4

Great work buddy, The body has come up brilliantly ^_^ I know what you mean with tyre sizes being important, on one of my 1/8 SCT I recently upgrade the rim's (very happy with them) but tyres I have for them are only 100mm, the originals are 115mm . I have some 120's on the way :D

RJ4VgGl.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers Chevelle,

nice looking wheels, that truck looks lovely and capable :)

I've finished my shell now, all the touching up bits I wanted to do...window trims sharpied on and front black arch decal extended as I've left the front bumper longer than a stock Monster Racer when cutting the shell...

large.IMG_1316.JPG.78e64bbc597d436fd320d

It has been a difficult shell but I'm very pleased with the result. All I need to do now is buy some of the side number placards around the rad area...

large.IMG_1317.JPG.854e5fe803f6a896d95e3

The chrome work has come out superb, it's the second time I've used this chrome on lexan, with the first time being the Hornet roll bar, I think I have the knack of it now...

large.IMG_1318.JPG.ba5364542b315f6f57b0d

No more pics now for a while...I don't want to run it in the garden at the moment, it's so muddy, I took my just built Brat WT01-N out yesterday and its caked in mud now :(

• Like 4

You've got to be pleased with how this turned out. I've just said the same thing to Jason though. You've messed it up by making it too nice! :lol: You've done a great paint job and those decals and little details with the sharpie really set it all off. Beautiful looking shell. What chrome paint did you use nito? I'll definitely use some for any chrome detailing I do on my lexan shells in future.

Now go and buy another shell for bashing. This shell is now for when it's on display on your shelf ;)