mongoose1983

1981 Sand Rover RC project

Last night I had the chance to work a bit more on the Sand Rover. I knew I needed to do something about all that gloss over my driver, and of course both @kontemax and @chevelle were correct in their observations regarding that. A buddy helped me with a bit of Testors matt white paint so I could do again the mix for the shirt's baby blue color, once again using Testors' Mer Matt blue. I'm chuffed with the results.

I decided to use matt red for the t-shirt. The results here:

Driver Tamiya Sand Rover 1981 restoration photo IMG_9470_zpsrktgjwt8.jpg

I don't think it's too bad considering I was after this kind of look for the driver:

tom wopat dukes hazzard

What you see over the car and the driver is not dust, but small particles of ashes, as this week we have had the biggest fires in the history of my country, I think by now over 700000 acres have been totally destroyed!

Driver Tamiya Sand Rover 1981 restoration photo IMG_9472_zpsu3ykmunc.jpg

I'm not done with the car yet, I will show you some more pictures of it soon as I did some progress last night :)

• Like 3

Some updates to the car now.

vintage Tamiya Sand Rover 1981 restoration photo IMG_9505_zpsrcpje8qq.jpg

The painting process is almost completely done, only need to paint the floors matt black and I can call it complete.

vintage Tamiya Sand Rover 1981 restoration photo IMG_9451_zpsyqxjrxia.jpg

The interesting thing about the Sand Rover is everything looks so simple, but when you're working it you realize it takes a lot of work to get things properly done.

The rear lights were fun to work! And I love the looks I got for them. :) I did not have the adapters to screw them to the body so I glued them with a bit of Tamiya threadlock, if I ever come across those.    Now on how to find a license plate for the car... <_<

vintage Tamiya Sand Rover 1981 restoration photo IMG_9485_zpsv7tosxry.jpg

I am considering doing some restoration work to the roll bars, like filling the holes, and getting it all painted again. Orange, white, or do I keep them all black?

vintage Tamiya Sand Rover 1981 restoration photo IMG_9503_zps6xp25zpi.jpg

The car is only missing the front bit for the lamp. I've no stickers for them either. Since they're larger than the regular lamps one have little or no options for them, which is unfortunately. Let's see what I can come up with.

One of these days I hope to return with more pictures as I am headed to complete the buggy.

You all have a good Friday! :)

• Like 6

On 19/1/2017 at 1:20 PM, casethejoint said:

Looks fantastic Erich - love that colour!! Really suits the Manx well.

I think I might have found a couple of those front headlight bits as I noticed one in my spares box a few weeks ago. Thought of you but wasn't sure if you had one yet. Will have a look in there later and let you know...

Haven't been able to locate the front headlight bit, Dean. I'm sending you a PM here tonight.

Will have a look today - can you let me know the dimensions of that part? I've got a bunch of loose spares I can go through.

Looking good though :). Are you going to do the tire lettering?

Orange, white, or do I keep them all black?

White would be interesting - never seen that done before. My best results with roll bars has been to do them in matt black, although I know you have some issues getting matt paints in Chile.

6 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

Haven't been able to locate the front headlight bit, Dean. I'm sending you a PM here tonight.

Hope you find one to finish it off. However, if you can't, it probably wouldn't be that hard to make one up from styrene sheet with identical external dimensions.

I'm thinking a styrene disc wrapped in styrene strip, fitted in a drill chuck to bevel the edge evenly. Since many of us were forced to make do and mend with our original cars, I can't

see it detracting from the vintage-ness.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, casethejoint said:

Will have a look today - can you let me know the dimensions of that part? I've got a bunch of loose spares I can go through.

Looking good though :). Are you going to do the tire lettering?

White would be interesting - never seen that done before. My best results with roll bars has been to do them in matt black, although I know you have some issues getting matt paints in Chile.

No probs with getting matt paint in here, Dean. Tire lettering will be done, but not soon. Although I'm still curious about orange, I believe my roll bar will stay black, but I hope to repaint it after getting it right.

Here's the one I've seen in white. This picture made me discard white for the roll bar:

Image result for tamiya sand rover

7 hours ago, Fuijo said:

Hope you find one to finish it off. However, if you can't, it probably wouldn't be that hard to make one up from styrene sheet with identical external dimensions.

I'm thinking a styrene disc wrapped in styrene strip, fitted in a drill chuck to bevel the edge evenly. Since many of us were forced to make do and mend with our original cars, I can't

see it detracting from the vintage-ness.

Could have been. Styrene sheets can be very expensive here, unfortunately.

5 hours ago, casethejoint said:

We might be in luck here Erich.... can you check dimensions? This is about 23mm wide and about 4mm deep.

srlight.thumb.jpg.ca0f946cf322846de68becda0940fae5.jpg

Yes! That would be it. I got the exact same measures from the one I have in here :)

• Like 1

Great! Are you still at the same address? I'll whack it in the post for you tomorrow.

Agree about the roll-bar - that pic conclusively tells us that white is out ;)

I can help you with the stickers for the lights too - I got these a while ago on eBay so have quite a few :). If you want to pick which ones you want I'll put in same envelope.

stickers.thumb.jpg.6290ba70adbf89445241a7b159350bbd.jpg

• Like 1

THANKS! Two Hellas and two KCs. That is all. Yep. Same still the same address. Now I have to leave as they're waiting for me to watch the Barça-Madrid match on the other side of town :) Will write again tonight.

11 hours ago, casethejoint said:

White KC or Yellow KC Daylighter?

Big game, enjoy.

Two white KCs, please. Thank you Dean. Have a great week! :)

Just so you guys know what this thread was about...

Image result for sand rover california

I only need to go down and do the floors on this one. Then find a license plate and indicators and the decals for the front lamps are still in NJ. Hopefully they will be shipped to me one day.

5990c765b91b2_SR01.JPG.7d19c1a9013d8efff8176a6172fef7d0.JPG

5990c77629726_SR03.JPG.c14ee3970a1f6226826ad4a30ac0331d.JPG

5990c771439bd_SR02.JPG.f4adcdcfd577a2e48da1fc6f4b2cc61a.JPG

You all have a good week! :)

• Like 3

Another lil thing I've done today was getting the CIBIE decals on this buggy. I spent YEARS trying to locate them, although @casethejoint sent me a very nice pair of Hellas for them years ago (Thank you, Dean). Now the car looks much better :wub:

6ATSn4U.jpg

Here it is, beside its younger brother, the Super Champ :)

tdm4Mel.jpg

I'll get the gear-shift stick and the panel decal in place hopefully next weekend. Now I'm only missing the tiny windshield screws and the rear license plate. Those and the steering bars that by now seem almost impossible to find.

It is next to impossible to think this is going to run someday. Hopefully I'm wrong on that one.

You all take care and have a fantastic week! :)

• Like 8

Hi, this is all a bit late, but the pinion issue on to the 380 motor is resolved by adding some brass tube onto the motors spindle and then put the pinion on, tightened by a grub screw. That is how Tamiya supplied it in the original kit.

It's always great to see a good Sand Rover resto. Nice work.

• Like 2

Whoop, good to see the lights got stickers - looks great!

> Now I'm only missing the tiny windshield screws

I believe these are the same as vintage SRB front wheel screws. You know the little round head slot screw things? I might have some - will take a look. What else is needed to get it running? I think we need to see it running :)

> Hi, this is all a bit late, but the pinion issue on to the 380 motor is resolved by adding some brass tube onto the motors spindle and then put the pinion on, tightened by a grub screw. 

In desperation in the past I've had success by cutting a bit of tube from the ink tube of a Bic biro. I seem to remember it being a perfect fit....

• Like 2

PS - I remember now filling in those front mount screw holes (so no need for the "Sand Rover" decal that normally covers them). Definitely looks better like that. I didn't do mine and wish I had now.

13 hours ago, Alwb68 said:

Hi, this is all a bit late, but the pinion issue on to the 380 motor is resolved by adding some brass tube onto the motors spindle and then put the pinion on, tightened by a grub screw. That is how Tamiya supplied it in the original kit.

It's always great to see a good Sand Rover resto. Nice work.

Oh, I already got the original bit. I was sent to me by a friend in Spain who is also a member of TamiyaBase. So the car is all stock. Also, I'm very much with you: ALWAYS nice to see people working on these fantastic cars. I think these buggies deserve more love and recognition.

13 hours ago, casethejoint said:

Whoop, good to see the lights got stickers - looks great!

> Now I'm only missing the tiny windshield screws
I believe these are the same as vintage SRB front wheel screws. You know the little round head slot screw things? I might have some - will take a look. What else is needed to get it running? I think we need to see it running :)

> Hi, this is all a bit late, but the pinion issue on to the 380 motor is resolved by adding some brass tube onto the motors spindle and then put the pinion on, tightened by a grub screw. 
In desperation in the past I've had success by cutting a bit of tube from the ink tube of a Bic biro. I seem to remember it being a perfect fit....

I'm happy to know you're liking the Sand Rover. You did a good job with the body-I only painted it! :)

I don't have those lil screws but it is no big deal. Tamiya stopped making them how long, like four decades ago? Now they only make + ones which look off. Still, it is no big issue. The steering arms are missing, and so is the servo saver, but I presume you could use almost any saver since the arms are bent to work like stoppers themselves.

Even as a static model the Sand Rover is pure pleasure, real eye-candy. I'm telling you I have enjoyed working on this one very much. Without your help I don't think it would have possible.

By the way, now that I am replying to you I wanted to ask if you will show more pictures of the Sand Scorcher? I really loved what you did narrowing the rear axles!

Thank you all, take care and have a good Tuesday! Thumbsup

Nice work, mongoose1983!  I too love working on hard shell bodies with driver figure cars.  It's the best of both worlds.. plastic modeling/painting and RC.  Well done. 

• Like 1

I don't blame you - I don't run mine either. I took it for a lap around the lounge once and then put it back on the shelf. Problem with these vintage buggies is one crash and they're in a million pieces. With 30+ hours sometimes going into restoring, the emotional investment is too much to risk :)

There is no servo saver - just a servo horn. The steering arms are just bent rod - which basically is the servo saver (they have a bit of spring in them). Actually quite innovative really - designed to a price.

I'll have a look for some of those small screws - I'm pretty sure I have about a thousand of them :)

By the way, now that I am replying to you I wanted to ask if you will show more pictures of the Sand Scorcher? I really loved what you did narrowing the rear axles!

Like so many of my projects unfortunately it kind of got paused where it was due to work, family etc commitments. I will post some more pics when I actually manage to progress it though. You asking me has kind of got me wanting to get it back out on the bench... :)

• Like 1

Hey Erich,

I found some stuff that might be useful.

I have a set of re-re decals which has an unused licence plate (not sure if this is the same plate as the original 1980 SR - might not be - STOLEN I think was the original - but I guess at least it is genuine Tamiya).

And I have loads of original little Tamiya round head single slot screws, which are correct for the windshield (they're original vintage Tamiya - from SRB wheels probably) other than they are too long. The SR windshield are shorter - but they are the right thing and I think with a little care and a hacksaw they can be cut so size.

Happy to send to you if you want to have a go.....

image.thumb.png.b16a7126a4f6ce40389ec6222391635b.png

image.thumb.png.4a8dd3709cf5c2b172a9bec279bf4d09.png

They are identical, just longer (need to be cut approx. in half):-

image.thumb.png.0575307a2f803cfd2b95961278f626bc.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, casethejoint said:

They are identical, just longer (need to be cut approx. in half):-

image.thumb.png.0575307a2f803cfd2b95961278f626bc.png

Oh, that orange buggy of yours... just gorgeous!

I have to thank you Dean for your kindness and generosity, and for always being willing to help me with these crazy projects. Thumbsup This time I don't think there is any parts that I could use though.

I was aware the windshield screws are the same than the ones used in the orig SRB buggy wheels. I'd be happy to modify some for the windshield, but I believe only one of my original SRB buggies have the correct slot head screws in their wheels. And the + screws bug me a lot, I don't think I'd modify parts I need on another buggies. Now why on earth did Tamiya change the wheel screws. To this day it's something I will never understand.

The license plate. Yeah, the Beach Bum belongs to the new car. What goes on in the brain of the guys working at Tamiya is really over my head. The correct one says "Stolen", and you know, to make it all more complicated the MCI reproduction decal sheet it's got the incorrect font, so any way you look at the car from behind you just know it is off. I've accepted I'll never get to have the correct lic plate for the car, so I will make a custom one using the old ACME license maker: http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/ I also want to make an American East coast lic plate instead-not California, but that's another story. Here's an example, although later I can think of something ridiculous for the definitive one:

license

See? The ACME maker works great. Unfortunately for you in United Kingdom, they only offer American and Canadian lic. plates. Another cool feature is the fact that you can get new lic plates or any of the old, historic ones made instantly. Check it if you can.

Finally, I wanted to thank you all guys for your kind words and encouragement!

You all stay safe and have a good Thursday! blob7.gif