Terz1

Vintage blackfoot questions

Hi all. A while back I bought a vintage blackfoot which to be honest it's job was to sit on a shelf and look at. This was before the recent re-re so it was nice to have. With the recent re-re I've had a re think of what to do with it. At the same time there's been a lot of attention on the orv chassis with some talented members making modifications to correct known faults and make them more useable as a regular runner. So I was thinking of buying a new monster beetle or blackfoot but it got me thinking, you've got a nice example sitting there. Just buy the few missing parts to get it up and running (motor adapter plate, pinion and pinion cover) and you're off! 

So one if my questions is are the vintage ones worth any more than a used re-re? We all know the differences between the new and original versions such as proper manufacturer decals and ford mouldings in the shell, crate style grille and the hex drives etc. Mine isn't a 100% perfect shelf queen but a nice condition used example from 1986-93 but unfortunately missing the old style grille. Always on the look out for that grille! Lol. So should I preserve it and buy a new one to bash (lightly) about with or use this vintage example?

Here's some pics of it...

20160903_165934-1_zpswcq6wfr5.jpg

20160903_170007-1_zpsnnb3y1b1.jpg

Thanks for any advice

i am not the best person to give any advice on this particular question, as i do not have shelf queens or nib cars. for me cars are for driving so i run every car i build from scrach or that i refurbished. of course some are driven with more care than others but still they are all running. 

what i would do: 

install as much of the necessary mods as possible

also, get the mheald gearbox mod, put a lipo pack in the car and off you go. but again that is what i would do. a hardcore shelf queen enthusiast probably would tear out his hair now...

• Like 1

For heaven's sake don't destroy it.

These trucks are great runners, but you can still find a cheap worn one, install all of the new bits made by tallented TCers like Pintopower and run that one instead of destroying such a nice time-machine type of collectible. :)

• Like 3

Thanks for the input guys. Two different ways of looking at it too. I do see it from both sides. It's getting on a bit now and is somewhere along the lines of 23 to 30 years old. That's what has made me hesitate to modify it in anyway. 

I like the idea mongoose and think I will either get a really rough one from ebay or a re-re and then do the pinto mods and the ones you provided in the link danger. I know these kits have flaws but I think thats what's attracting me too them. I love to make things right and wouldn't look forward to it as much if I didn't have to change and alter things, basically fiddle about with it lol.

I'll make this one ready to run but never run it and keep looking for that elusive that grille. 

• Like 1

A used vintage grill (in good shape) just sold for $ 50 on ebay ;)

Hang on to that beauty

I got a used grill here, also talk to Beefmuffin he is the "foot guru"

Edited by terragni
add to post
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

These trucks are great runners, but you can still find a cheap worn one, install all of the new bits made by tallented TCers like Pintopower and run that one instead of destroying such a nice time-machine type of collectible. :)

you should see my vintage Monster Beetle :o i took good care, but drove it a lot. some parts broke eg the infamous headlight bar, some parts are mia, like wipers or license plate. the rest is also in need of refurbishment. and after that it will be on the road again B)

here a photo of the body during decoloration .... enjoy the many colors

PHOTO_20160529_233832.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dangerseeker said:

you should see my vintage Monster Beetle :o i took good care, but drove it a lot. some parts broke eg the infamous headlight bar, some parts are mia, like wipers or license plate. the rest is also in need of refurbishment. and after that it will be on the road again B)

here a photo of the body during decoloration .... enjoy the many colors

PHOTO_20160529_233832.jpg

Sorry to go off-topic here... Is that brake fluid?

4 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

2 hours ago, Terz1 said:

Thanks for the input guys. Two different ways of looking at it too. I do see it from both sides. It's getting on a bit now and is somewhere along the lines of 23 to 30 years old. That's what has made me hesitate to modify it in anyway. 

I like the idea mongoose and think I will either get a really rough one from ebay or a re-re and then do the pinto mods and the ones you provided in the link danger. I know these kits have flaws but I think thats what's attracting me too them. I love to make things right and wouldn't look forward to it as much if I didn't have to change and alter things, basically fiddle about with it lol.

I'll make this one ready to run but never run it and keep looking for that elusive that grille. 

@Terz1 I agree with Erich 100%... that one is in great condition.  Just a couple things needed to have a mint shelfer.  Used and abused Blackfoot chassis are always popping up for cheap, and if the Blackfoot 2016 bodies end up selling anything like the Monster Beetle 2016 ones, you'll be able to get a new re-re one for $20 or so soon (I've seen the MB ones selling for $18 each).  Also the re-re red chassis / A-parts are selling for $10 currently... compared to $100+ a year or two ago.  So keep the original mint and you can get a runner together cheaply.

52 minutes ago, terragni said:

I got a used grill here, also talk to Beefmuffin he is the "foot guru"

I actually have a bunch of Blackfoot parts currently set aside to send down to Erich but I might have another spare grill and certainly an MSC cover (and likely any other misc bits you may need).  If I do have them spare, you can have them for just the cost of shipping - a small package to the UK is about $13 IIRC.  If that sounds good can you make a list of everything you need for it?  I might actually work on organizing Erich's stuff tonight and could look for stuff for you at the same time.

@beefmuffin You might have an old spare grille, the type with the boxes not the newer style slot style grille? Can I send you a message beefmuffin that would be fantastic. I've actually forgot about the new one for the moment. Getting this as a complete vintage example would be fantastic. :)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Terz1 said:

@beefmuffin You might have an old spare grille, the type with the boxes not the newer style slot style grille? Can I send you a message beefmuffin that would be fantastic. I've actually forgot about the new one for the moment. Getting this as a complete vintage example would be fantastic. :)

Yeah man - let me know here or via PM what you need and I'll see if I have them for you.

• Like 1

Nice to see people helping each other with spare parts. Terz1 I was in the same boat as you, I picked up a rere MB off a member of another forum for pretty cheap, but then sold it for a little more and scored a pretty much untouched MB that had sat in storage for over 12yrs. I just rebuilt it (need to strip the body though) and would never run it but as Beefmuffin said score a cheap rere and run it instead.

BTW off topic, since I need to strip my MB body, what is Mongoose soaking the body in??? Or a suggestion on what to use to not ruin the plastic (nose piece is somehow permanently staying on :( in case that could get ruined by brake fluid or something else).

MUD

• Like 1

Glad you made it here iluvmud, welcome,

I would guess Mongoose is using graffiti remover, but he will chime in .....

Just now, Snappy1 said:

Glad you made it here iluvmud, welcome,

I would guess Mongoose is using graffiti remover, but he will chime in .....

Hah, thanks!!! I'm on pins and needles as I want/need to get this body done... got too many rebuild projects in a state of incompletion, most of them are waiting on the bodies to be refinished.

Sounds like you have been a member here for years then....

One issue here, with members all over the world it can take time to get a response sometimes

11 minutes ago, Snappy1 said:

Sounds like you have been a member here for years then....

One issue here, with members all over the world it can take time to get a response sometimes

yup, it's understood....  :)

If you want to keep that one nice, get a derelict vintage chassis for cheap off ebay etc (doesn't have to look nice, its a runner) buy some frog dogbones/outdrives/axles, the gearbox braces and a parma blackfoot polycarbonate body and drive it.

• Like 1

given it's a vintage, just fit a silver can, or sports tuned motor at the most and enjoy it, the gear box will present less problems for you that way, and allow you to keep it authentic genuine vintage

• Like 1

I've sent you a pm beefmuffin, thanks :).

I think I'll get the blackfoot in a complete state for the shelf and find a bashed up re-re to run thanks to everyones advice.

Thanks for the advice about the frog parts too berman. I think running a polycarbonate body is a good call. I've actually got a polycarbonate mudblaster shell so I could do that in the vintage mudblaster livery and colour and have an orv mudblaster B).

And anyone feel free to ask any questions. I always feel bad about asking a question which is slightly off topic in someones thread but it's all interesting stuff. I think we all want to know everything regarding the hobby so it's all good. :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Terz1 said:

I've actually got a polycarbonate mudblaster shell so I could do that in the vintage mudblaster livery and colour and have an orv mudblaster B).

You're in luck if you don't already have Mudblaster body mounts as I have a pile of NIP sets for some reason.  Will send you a set with the rest of the stuff. =)

• Like 1

Just don't do what I did to my Blackfoot.  I spent a fortune updating it with all the recommended improvements, fancy adjustable oil shocks etc.  Even went to the point of have a car bodyshop paint the shell.   Then realised it was too nice to drive and had to buy a King Blackfoot to bash, the paint is so good it's a shame to cover it up with decals.

SDC10272%20Medium.jpg

SDC10273%20Medium.jpg

In the end the only decals I fitted were the for the spotlights. I also ended up buying a complete Blackfoot just to get a grill that a young me haddent drilled holes in for lights lol

• Like 1

Looks fantastic Pumesta. I have to admit I fall into that trap all the time. I build things and get them as nice as I can and then don't want to damage them like you've found with yours. I even built one of my tamiyas and sprayed it the worst colour I had, didn't decal it, just so I would use it. That worked for quite a while but eventually I gave in, stripped the paint and resprayed it a gorgeous sky blue ( think it was ps3?) and bought some fresh new decals.

The intention with this isn't to run. Nothing will be upgraded, all will be completely standard. When a rough re-re pops up sometime in the near future that's when I'll be able to go for a good bash with an orv. 

Thanks for showing your great example. B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terz1 said:

I have to admit I fall into that trap all the time. I build things and get them as nice as I can and then don't want to damage them..

How do you think my collection began?!?!?!? lol

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Terz1 said:

Beef. You are the best. B)

Mr Muffin is the best, just be careful, he writes some weird stuff on the contents description of his packages ;)

• Like 5