DemonDriverDan

Peugeot 306 Maxi FF02 Refurb

Hi all, new to the forum. I've been wanting a Peugeot 306 Maxi for a long time and finally got one after a bit of drunken eBaying a couple of weeks ago! I have a real 306 race car hence why I particularly wanted the Maxi :) 

Here's how it arrived:

pnvu18Tl.jpg

CvdWPxyl.jpg

The link between the servo and the horn is broken so there is quite a lot of play in the steering making it fairly unpredictable to drive! :D

JKvPGbhl.jpg

psWrr0cl.jpg

I've stripped down the front end and cleaned it all up. I noticed the chassis has cracked a little around where the top of the shocks bolt on so think I might replace it for peace of mind.

1n7pg8ql.jpg

I also then lowered the shell as it was sitting too high for my liking:

FFHjC2Gl.jpg

Plans are to fix the steering then set about upgrading bits. I'd like a 19T motor and to replace the speed controller as it's a bit old now. Any advice on what ESC and motor to go for would be great! Once that's done I'll start adding extra hop up bits to make it a bit more fun to drive.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

• Like 1

So were you 306GTi6, Pug306.net, Club-306 or 306oc?

Long time 306 owner here too, hence why I've got one of these FF02s, too! 

GTi6, 306.net, and 306oc (sort of) :) Most active on 306GTi6 these days and am an admin over on 306.net, been in that community for a long time!

Has anyone got any suggestions for an ESC and motor? I'm a bit stumped as to what my best option is. Don't really want to spend a huge amount, maybe £50 - £60?

How about one of those 2 in 1 ESC/motor things which has an ESC built into the motor endbell? Combine that with a RX mounted between the chassis halves and you'd have a very neat "stealth" radio installation.

2 hours ago, DemonDriverDan said:

GTi6, 306.net, and 306oc (sort of) :) Most active on 306GTi6 these days and am an admin over on 306.net, been in that community for a long time!

Has anyone got any suggestions for an ESC and motor? I'm a bit stumped as to what my best option is. Don't really want to spend a huge amount, maybe £50 - £60?

Cool beans. My username was C.A.R. over there and I think I frequented all forums!

As for esc & motor, a brushed or brushless setup is your first decision. You could save more by purchasing a Hobbywing 1060 brushed ESC and generic 15x2 brushed motor - it would be very rapid, but eat up battery if you're on nimh. My suggestion would be for a 3500kv Speed Passion Reventon system from Rcmart. Cost about £45 delivered and is hard to beat on a budget. I have 2 systems already and I'm resisting the urge to buy another...

26 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Cool beans. My username was C.A.R. over there and I think I frequented all forums!

As for esc & motor, a brushed or brushless setup is your first decision. You could save more by purchasing a Hobbywing 1060 brushed ESC and generic 15x2 brushed motor - it would be very rapid, but eat up battery if you're on nimh. My suggestion would be for a 3500kv Speed Passion Reventon system from Rcmart. Cost about £45 delivered and is hard to beat on a budget. I have 2 systems already and I'm resisting the urge to buy another...

Oh yea, I remember you from .net days when it was still active :)

The Reventon system looks good, this deal seems promising: http://www.rcmart.com/speed-passion-reventon-s30s-brushless-wcompet-p-37495.html?cPath=1100_1252 I need to order some stuff from rcMart anyway so could bundle it in to everything else.

I've currently only got the standard Tamiya 1400 NiMh batteries which won't be much use with the new system! I was going to get a couple of 3300 NiMh batteries for a bit more punch. I have an old BCS Double charger that can charge NiMh or NiCd I think so wanted to get new batteries that worked with the charger.

My rule with nimh (which is just opinion!) is to buy on quality rather than capacity. 3000-3600 is the sweet spot imo, and something branded is generally a better cell inside, which will give you more punch from experience.