Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

Bigger collection = less connection

10 hours ago, moffman said:

I know what your saying! I was the same my first Tamya RC was the SRB ranger (hard saving from paper round and early milk round!) back then as a just turned teen it was a big part of my life (my bmx aswell:)) and like you life gets in the way when you get older, so the RC took a back seat so to speak. Role on when Tamya started to introduce the re-re's memories started flooding back of all that club racing in school halls so a sand scorcher re-re was soon purchased and it's great in all aspects and all the rest I've bought since then!, but I just don't have the want of a better word excitement or fire in my belly about any of them like I say they are all brilliant and total fun but I can go for weeks without even looking at them and I've even sold a few and not thought twice about it! Maybe it's because you get older wiser and a lot more things in life these days are too time consuming! :rolleyes:

I've been thinking about this while I was at work and I think the problem (well it's not a real problem!) I'm not by no stretch of the imagination a rich person but I didn't save hard for my sand scorcher re-re like I did when I bought my original back in the day so I think it subconsciously the OMG factor that all that hard work I had done on saving wasn't there so dare I say I just took it for granted I had a sand scorcher again!, Sad really:(!

• Like 3

Some good thoughts in this thread.

My 2 cents:

As kids (especially those of us who were kids in the 1970s and 1980s), we grew up seeing R/C cars through a lens of "unfulfilled desire" - i.e. They were awesome, expensive, high-end toys for their day. Even if you had one, you probably wanted more, but couldn't get to them. Yet there they were, in the hobby shop window. Pure pain. But as kids, we had little or no money. Now that we are all grown up and it's 2016, it's impossible to re-live that level of desire in quite the same way. Times have changed. Not only are we able to afford more than we could as kids thanks to incomes of our own, but modern Tamiya kits (relative to the cost of living) are much, much cheaper today than they were in the past. It's a dangerous mix.

In this climate, it's no surprise that we might talk about a "loss of connection" from having too many cars. 

But I do think there is something you can do to "stay more connected" to your collection, even when it is large, and that's to set yourself boundaries based on what you really love the most. I know it's all been said before, but seriously...don't simply impulse-buy. And don't get caught up by the hype every time a new car or a remake comes out. Focus only on the cars you truly want. If your love is vintage (like me), focus solely on that. But whatever it is, invest some time thinking about what cars you truly want and why. Try to recall your love of R/C as a kid - what did you want back then? Maybe write a bucket list of the cars you'd be "disappointed if you never own, before you die".

It doesn't mean your collection has to be smaller. It just might help it become more "focused" and more connected.

For me, I have a fairly significant collection too. I still have most of my childhood vehicles, and things that are super sentimental because they were the actual items I had as a kid - from tatty catalogues, to handwritten notes, to old cars, to burned MSCs. I literally kept everything. The rest of my collection is things I never had as a kid. But it's all vintage. Long ago, I decided that the only R/C cars I truly loved, were those that were actually around during my childhood, even if I never had them. Hence, I focused purely on original vintage stuff (even avoiding the remakes). Within that boundary, I also tended to prefer off-road vehicles, and mainly buggies. This has still left me with lots of cars. But I really love them all... seeing all their old packaging, and the old buggy design styles, and the big fat tyres. I simply never tire of it. Even the cars I never owned as a kid actually remind me of my childhood now - because they so strongly reflect the whole era of R/C in which I grew up and which I enjoy the most - i.e. 1980s.

• Like 7

Hibernaculum thats a great post..   I feel a lot the same way and those cars from that era interest me most these days also. Although I have owned about everything out there at one point, I slowly started migrating back toward the cars from the 80's - 90's.  I am thrilled with all these Re-Re options floating around. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

Some good thoughts in this thread.

My 2 cents:

As kids (especially those of us who were kids in the 1970s and 1980s), we grew up seeing R/C cars through a lens of "unfulfilled desire" - i.e. They were awesome, expensive, high-end toys for their day. Even if you had one, you probably wanted more, but couldn't get to them. Yet there they were, in the hobby shop window. Pure pain. But as kids, we had little or no money. Now that we are all grown up and it's 2016, it's impossible to re-live that level of desire in quite the same way. Times have changed. Not only are we able to afford more than we could as kids thanks to incomes of our own, but modern Tamiya kits (relative to the cost of living) are much, much cheaper today than they were in the past. It's a dangerous mix.

In this climate, it's no surprise that we might talk about a "loss of connection" from having too many cars. 

But I do think there is something you can do to "stay more connected" to your collection, even when it is large, and that's to set yourself boundaries based on what you really love the most. I know it's all been said before, but seriously...don't simply impulse-buy. And don't get caught up by the hype every time a new car or a remake comes out. Focus only on the cars you truly want. If your love is vintage (like me), focus solely on that. But whatever it is, invest some time thinking about what cars you truly want and why. Try to recall your love of R/C as a kid - what did you want back then? Maybe write a bucket list of the cars you'd be "disappointed if you never own, before you die".

It doesn't mean your collection has to be smaller. It just might help it become more "focused" and more connected.

For me, I have a fairly significant collection too. I still have most of my childhood vehicles, and things that are super sentimental because they were the actual items I had as a kid - from tatty catalogues, to handwritten notes, to old cars, to burned MSCs. I literally kept everything. The rest of my collection is things I never had as a kid. But it's all vintage. Long ago, I decided that the only R/C cars I truly loved, were those that were actually around during my childhood, even if I never had them. Hence, I focused purely on original vintage stuff (even avoiding the remakes). Within that boundary, I also tended to prefer off-road vehicles, and mainly buggies. This has still left me with lots of cars. But I really love them all... seeing all their old packaging, and the old buggy design styles, and the big fat tyres. I simply never tire of it. Even the cars I never owned as a kid actually remind me of my childhood now - because they so strongly reflect the whole era of R/C in which I grew up and which I enjoy the most - i.e. 1980s.

I think you hit the nail on the head there! Concentrating on the actual models I owned or wished I owned as a kid! which I have indeed started to do, so my collection is a lot smaller at the moment (A LOT smaller:huh:) but I now don't look at all of them and think "why did i buy that???". But I do miss that Saturday morning getting on the bus with my mother going to the town knowing that while she went off "shopping" I could go into beatties and watch the Tamya video surrounded by rangers, Scorcher's Toyota hi-lux's, frogs etc etc! That can probably never be re-re'd :(!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nitomor said:

Maybe we're just looking at them all wrong, rather than a collection (which is just something you buy) these are works of art, because we have put our stamp on them and put the hours and dedication into them.

That's a really interesting thought.  I think I struggle because what I do is very specific to "me" - perhaps unfairly, I think nobody else will like it.  So I look at my shelf of shelfer touring cars and think how I've taken a bunch of valuable kits and made them worthless to anyone but me.  Maybe this is worsened when I see photos on here of the pic work others have done on their touring cars and it puts mine to shame :D

I'm actually looking forward to having my smaller hobby room to help me streamline my display a little.

• Like 1

Wow! This thread certainly went in some interesting directions. Thanks for all the great points. When I first started it, I initially began thinking about how highly interactive RC models are. You want them. You acquire them. You Build them. You paint them, You run them. You customize/repair/maintain them. That's all pretty interactive for a material possession. Take my first, a Lunch Box. I ran or wrenched on that little van almost everyday as a kid. I knew its weak points. I knew exactly how it handled. Because it was unstable yet took effort to buy/build/paint, I was very cautious with it. I slowly probed its limits without flipping/crashing it until I understood it's dynamics inside and out. I could, to this day, tear it down and reassemble it blindfolded. While I like the little GF-01 I picked up last year. I'll never have that kind of connection with it simply because I have so many other runners competing for my time and interest on any given day.

• Like 2

@Mad AxQuality not quantity for me now. I look back on my original kits in shame. I now take a ludicrously long time to get anything done because I set out trying to take my builds to a new level. I think buying a Bruiser really helped me up my game, it's such an awesome kit that it sort of recalibrates your expectations, particularly from a painting/bodyshell perspective which has got me into airbrushing now and that's a whole new branch off of this hobby. There are a few cars that I absolutely have no regrets owning whatsoever, or not so much regret, but let's say difficulty in justifying ownership, the 3 speed Bruiser, Mountaineer and vintage Hilux, my 3 monster Hornets (my first RC so holds a special place for me), Senna City turbo, and when built the SRB Sand Scorcher and Avante Black special when I get around to building them and I'm loving my new pink GF01 which is odd because it's not like it's that special a kit but it has turned out looking great.

I then have those in between kits that aren't that or don't feel quite as special, I don't use them, they look great but collectively they take up a lot of space and at some point I'll need to make a choice of which I can display, these include the Lunchbox, WW2, Vajra (struggle with this, it looks great but I'm running out of space), Bullhead, candy GH, Kumamon Tractor (that is the wife's shelfer encroaching on my collection - but then I did buy it for her lol!) all too nice to bash but not that worthy of taking up the display over others I own. Then I have my WT01's all of which are runners so they're not on display so I really just get on and enjoy these for bashing, along with the Aero Avante and the new Aqroshot when it's complete. I'm mindful that I still want to display a Big wig and Turbo Optima if they are ever re're'd and maybe the Hot Shot II.

I tend to entertain myself modifying the not so special kits and get a lot of fun from that. I'm particularly enjoying messing about with my new super Futaba 10J 10 channel radio which affords so much programmability adding a whole new dimension to the hobby.

So in summary, the issue comes with those models that are hard to justify having for a variety of reasons. If I had unlimited space it wouldn't be an issue. I have shelfers and runners. I enjoy both of these, it's the in-betweeners that make it awkward, and that involves having to make decisions on prioritising one kit over another. I'm reluctant to turn these into regular bashers because they are too nice, and they're on the relegation list as shelfers because there is only a finite amount I can have. I know how Xfactor judges feel, there are some difficult decisions in making these choices to get down to a limited list!!  

• Like 2

For me, finding a sustainable focus has been the key. My fleet/collection has been through several different phases (SRB's, on-road, a few monster trucks and buggies too) before I found my niche. Anyone looking through my showroom will probably notice a theme... :)

I currently have 30 models, and every single one has had a significant amount of time and effort (and often money too!) spent on them. Three are vintage models that I've restored. They're cars that I owned or wished I owned when I was young. Lots of good memories associated with them and just seeing them on display makes me happy.

Everything else has been modified, some in fairly major ways. The amount of time I've spent on some of them is not small and I'll admit that I'm quite proud of my creations. Spending that much time and effort on a model definitely helps to build a connection.

But they're not just for display, the majority of them also get regular use. That's a key factor too.

My kids play a big part too. They don't often get involved with building but they're interested in what I'm doing, in seeing a model come together. Their reaction to a finished car is important. Running the cars with them, having fun together, is just awesome.

So if a car ticks all the boxes - enjoyable to build/mod, gets the girls' approval and is fun to run - then it's a keeper!

• Like 2

This is what i also felt some months ago, i had allot of cool cars, but they didn't "give" me anything, so i decided to sell all the cars that i didn't feel or didn't have a connection to.  I'm now trying to focus on the one's i like, that said i'm probably gonna still buy some new cars just to find out that this was not for me. 

Oh, one more thing I might add...

On 10/12/2016 at 11:02 PM, GooneyBird said:

Note how I use the word fleet, and not collection. A collection, to me, is a gathering of objects collected for the sake of having them. A fleet is a collection of vehicles gathered because they all serve a purpose.

I noticed some view the words "collection" and "collecting" as the rather automated process whereby a person grabs lots of items without thinking too much, just to "have" them. But there are already other words for that. And I think maybe what you guys are describing is "accumulating" or even "hoarding".

To me, collecting, and having a collection is more like curating. It's a selective process. It takes time and research. A good collection is about the things you love.

Unfortunately, the term "collect" gets used a lot. And it often gets confused with hoarding and accumulating. I have been watching the tv show American Pickers recently (I have even caught brief glimpses of some vintage R/C items in the show - I posted them here on Twitter). And those guys use the words "collector", "collecting" and "collection" far too loosely. They use it to describe just about everyone they visit - even people who have 10 acres filled with decomposing VWs. I think they just do it because they don't want to offend any of the sellers they "pick" from by calling them hoarders. But a lot of them are the textbook definition of hoarders.

Collecting isn't at all like hoarding. Collecting is about purpose (or should be). ;)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

Collecting isn't at all like hoarding. Collecting is about purpose (or should be). ;)

I think if you ask most hoarders, they think they have a purpose ;-)

or at least the items were gathered for a purpose. That is why it is so hard to get rid of stuf...

If it seems like I don't agree with you, that isn't the case. A collection has a purpose, is defined and can have limits (my Tamiyas, my RC or my buggies for example). A hoard amasses with little order, no end point and a compulsion to add to it.

9 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

Oh, one more thing I might add...

I noticed some view the words "collection" and "collecting" as the rather automated process whereby a person grabs lots of items without thinking too much, just to "have" them. But there are already other words for that. And I think maybe what you guys are describing is "accumulating" or even "hoarding".

To me, collecting, and having a collection is more like curating. It's a selective process. It takes time and research. A good collection is about the things you love.

Unfortunately, the term "collect" gets used a lot. And it often gets confused with hoarding and accumulating. I have been watching the tv show American Pickers recently (I have even caught brief glimpses of some vintage R/C items in the show - I posted them here on Twitter). And those guys use the words "collector", "collecting" and "collection" far too loosely. They use it to describe just about everyone they visit - even people who have 10 acres filled with decomposing VWs. I think they just do it because they don't want to offend any of the sellers they "pick" from by calling them hoarders. But a lot of them are the textbook definition of hoarders.

I agree and I must admit I did (with the agreement of the wife <_<!) Classed myself as a hoarder and that's when I "seen the light" so to speak :lol:!, Now I have a few but brilliant rc's that all have a passion and love of owning admittedly my SRB's are the re-re Scorcher's but it's the memories that flood back when I have them in my hands are priceless (and IMO still are one of if not the best RC model ever made original or re-re!), Like I've said my first ever RC car was the SRB ford ranger so if Tamya ever got around to re-re'ing that one which is now probably highly unlikely looking at the Blackfoot my life of collecting would probably be complete:)!!

I went through a phase of hoarding what I thought I wanted NIB and preserving. At one point I purchased almost every late 80's and early 90's F1 livery and as much TA01/02 NIB as possible. I found I had zero connection to any of them and eventually got bored of becoming a warehouse for NIB kits. I sold off the entire collection and reflected that I'm only interested in kits that I'm interested in building. I love technically advanced kits with exotic materials so I'm mostly drawn to any TRF kit available and why I got bored of pan car F1 kits or plastic TA01/02 kits. My current selection of R/C cars is more a reflection of what I would want to build but never got a chance of owning/building as a teenager. I had a decent collection of HPI Racing cars that I have built and then sold again due to the fact I didn't really care for owning those cars and I was building capital for a Tamiya collection which is my favourite brand. My most current Tamiya collection is more or less the same philosophy of building first even if its the last NIB on the planet and I would carefully consider if the car is really what I want to build and add to my collection. If I add too deep into the collection I start feeling disconnected again, so I try not to add for the sake of adding.

My strong internal debate now is if I want to expand into offroad and in what direction. I never had any connection to buggies but have recently found them fascinating. One itch I have not scratched is the Tamiya Monster Truck bug but again it feels out of place from my on-road, race vehicle only collection at the moment.

1 hour ago, iluvmud said:

Anyone ever get buyers remorse after ordering a new or new to you kit/rc?

Yes that happens unfortunately.  The first time was in 1997, I picked up a Kyosho QRC Dodge Ram...  Hated that truck to death, such a waste of money.  I drove it about 6 times and scrapped it.  Overall I have a mixed relationship with Kyosho..  I either love em or hate em.  

2 minutes ago, TeamCody said:

Yes that happens unfortunately.  The first time was in 1997, I picked up a Kyosho QRC Dodge Ram...  Hated that truck to death, such a waste of money.  I drove it about 6 times and scrapped it.  Overall I have a mixed relationship with Kyosho..  I either love em or hate em.  

I dont even get that far........... I buy a new car (impulse buy obviously) and instantly turn into

womens_crying_is_a_chemical_turnoff_for_

1 minute ago, iluvmud said:

I dont even get that far........... I buy a new car (impulse buy obviously) and instantly turn into

womens_crying_is_a_chemical_turnoff_for_

Ah oh..  I did see a recent post from you in the "Postman" thread, Is that the one you are regretting now?

22 minutes ago, TeamCody said:

Ah oh..  I did see a recent post from you in the "Postman" thread, Is that the one you are regretting now?

Hah, kinda but I do this from time to time......... I start buying them to buy them instead of finishing the ones I have now. Max said it best........... This is not a hobby, its an illness.

I am a regular on URC, and I got tired of making new threads on so many cars when I would do "a little here, a little there" that I combined them all into one thread you can see I have problems, heck I even have shelves I bought to display these........ shelves still sitting on the office floor........

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235001

I don't think it's bigger collection/fleet/horde etc = less connection.

I think loss of connection is due to obtaining cars and/or trucks that have no childhood wow factor, or adulthood cool factor

• Like 2

11 hours ago, iluvmud said:

Hah, kinda but I do this from time to time......... I start buying them to buy them instead of finishing the ones I have now. Max said it best........... This is not a hobby, its an illness.

I am a regular on URC, and I got tired of making new threads on so many cars when I would do "a little here, a little there" that I combined them all into one thread you can see I have problems, heck I even have shelves I bought to display these........ shelves still sitting on the office floor........

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235001

You do have quite the variety there.  Lots of projects to keep you occupied for sure, but honestly if you saw my shop you would instantly feel better..  I have so many kits, projects, & builds hanging around waiting for me to have the time for them.  I will eventually get to them all, but I find that I bounce around from project to project and many are still in the planning stages.  On top of that I find myself bringing home new kits for a future build...  

So many wants, so little time..

28 minutes ago, TeamCody said:

You do have quite the variety there.  Lots of projects to keep you occupied for sure, but honestly if you saw my shop you would instantly feel better..  I have so many kits, projects, & builds hanging around waiting for me to have the time for them.  I will eventually get to them all, but I find that I bounce around from project to project and many are still in the planning stages.  On top of that I find myself bringing home new kits for a future build...  

So many wants, so little time..

I noticed that, since I've been on here my issues pale in comparison to many in here which in turn make me feel better about myself cause then I just thin "so glad I'm not THAT guy"...... lol

interesting topic, I wrench on my kits almost one other day when I have time at night, a body or two once in a week or two with my wife when she wants to. And i think I have way more kits that I can ever do and it will be passed on to my kid at some point in time.

And I make sure I run my RC every Sunday when the weather permits...,  I love building kits more than running them, and I've improved my skills.. faster and more efficient over time. it normally takes me a day to finish any standard kit build - chassis with electronics.. except those 3 speeds/tanks.

Body Shells are easy with the right tools and person to cut them. while do the masking  I spray paint.

I do multiple projects on different sit, you do need space .... .;-)

recently I've slowed down on RC building as well as buying. I am fortunate as  I do get what I want :0 but in reduced QTY. 

I took on a new job at the begining of the year to spend more time at home with family. I now have very little money for this hobby and zero time. So have started selling off my collection. I aim to keep 5, to hopefully 10 but that really depends...

7 minutes ago, berman said:

I took on a new job at the begining of the year to spend more time at home with family. I now have very little money for this hobby and zero time. So have started selling off my collection. I aim to keep 5, to hopefully 10 but that really depends...

pics of said collection...................

On 15/10/2016 at 4:26 AM, iluvmud said:

Anyone ever get buyers remorse after ordering a new or new to you kit/rc?

Sometimes.  I think mostly this occurs when I haven't planned a purchase, but instead I've spotted something that's been on my "maybe" list for ages and it suddenly turns up at a cheap price, often when I haven't really budgeted the spare cash for it, and I decide to go for it while it's cheap rather than waiting until I know I really want it.

Often these purchases seem desperately exciting right up until the point when the parcel arrives, at which point it goes on some shelf or under some desk somewhere and gets forgotten about.

I bought a Fox because Tamico had them cheap and I'd heard a rumour they were about to be discontinued.

I bought an Asterion because someone on here was selling one cheap and I wanted to try an XV01 chassis.

I bought a Desert Fielder because I was keen to have a "standard" TA02T-chassis truck and it came up cheap on here.

I bought a Racing Fighter because I'd decided to do the DT02 challenge, I love the look and it was the cheapest one to get at short notice.

I built the Fielder chassis last winter but still haven't painted the shell as I haven't decided if it will be part of my pit garage display, part of an homage to vintage buggies, or a rough and ready runner.

I haven't built the Asterion because I haven't decided whether I'll do the vintage buggy homage with the Fielder, if I'll make it a capable runner, or if I'll convert it to rally car spec.

I haven't built the Fox because I can't decide on a paint scheme.

I haven't built the Racing Fighter because my life suddenly got very, very busy at the end of this summer and I knew I wouldn't have time for the DT02 challenge.

Conversely, my last NIB purchase was a MAN race truck, which I categorically knew I didn't 'need', but I desperately wanted to complete a race hauler set for my TGX rig.  I'm taking my time with the build but I'm already set on a paint scheme and I know it will be awesome when it's done, even if I never run it.