Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

13 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

The most common questions from the public are "How much is it?" And "How fast does it go?"

Always $600 and say "you could build a slightly slower one for half that or less".  Six hundred shows you're invested but not in too deep.  I think this makes for an olive branch for other potential hobbyists.

Most comments by the public aren't "how fast does it go?" but "good god that thing is fast, how fast is that?!"   I usually say "oh only about 35 or 40 [mph], but it can easily go faster"  :lol:

1 hour ago, firefoxussr said:

Always $600 and say "you could build a slightly slower one for half that or less".  Six hundred shows you're invested but not in too deep.  I think this makes for an olive branch for other potential hobbyists.

Most comments by the public aren't "how fast does it go?" but "good god that thing is fast, how fast is that?!"   I usually say "oh only about 35 or 40 [mph], but it can easily go faster"  :lol:

Oi Oi do we have the first pub bloke talking up his speeds here???? 

I'm afraid we're gonna need GPS proof of this imaginary conversational boast of 35-40mph lol :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefoxussr said:

I usually get asked 'good god, how much does that thing weigh?' :lol:

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

I'm afraid we're gonna need GPS proof of this imaginary conversational boast of 35-40mph lol :) 

I know my DB01R with Vampire Racing 5.5T Brushless motor used to top out at 43MPH at my local track, (typically I sold it the other week) :( Really dying to find out what my SP12M can do with the same motor.

James

:)

57 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

:lol: i would be surprised if any of my cars exceed an actual 30mph.  Yes I'm talking it up, then I say that you can buy a 100mph car that's all electric.  It's more about generating curiosity than my car actually does that.  But now I want a GPS so I can inflate my speeds even more.

Just thought I'd put this on here. Its an hpi flux and is crazy fast. Something to aim for :lol:

A bit of both lol, like I said on the other thread, great stability and car control. My eyes can't even see it!

Not sure why is says worlds fastest, as that record for electric is around the 200MPH+ mark. Still mighty impressive though for an off the shelf buggy/truggy.

James

200mph! Goodness, is that fpv and a wide runway at those speeds I wonder?!

43 minutes ago, Jim_GT-R said:

Not sure why is says worlds fastest, as that record for electric is around the 200MPH+ mark. Still mighty impressive though for an off the shelf buggy/truggy.

James

I think I heard 6 beeps from the Castle sounding esc, I don't think this car comes ready for 6s so it's defo been modded lots not to mention it probably got a pinion as big the spur lol.

I once had a 2wd Slash that I hit up to 50MPH... Great car with tons of hop ups but not even comparable to a Tamiya.. I now they are both toy RC's but we all know the differences even if it's hard to explain.. So the performance can't be compared, they are not made with the same goals in mind...Tamiya's aren't made to be fast ( generally), Traxxas's are.

Looked like either a skate board or a boat in the boot of the car lol... Yeah baby!

Jason, I see you're the only person posted in the results so far.  I will post up a speed run or two eventually, but I need to carve out some time and do some prep work beforehand.  I saw a M-chassis Mini Cooper post a 53 mph speed run on YouTube, and there are some other fast Tamiyas out there, so I want to make it a good effort.

Yeah I'm pretty lonely on the first post.... Your user name has the word Speedy innit so I would expect you on the list at some point but please avoid categories I'm in :)

I got the battery for my old phone and set it up with a GPS speed app. It'll be 2 weeks before I have a day off to test and go from there.

Good stuff Kingfisher, two weeks will fly by, I've still got over 8 weeks to wait for Christmas :(

I am waiting for a sky rc unit from Hong Kong, when it arrives, and I work out how to edit a vid and post it on u tube I'll have a crack with my highly modded Top Force and a re re Street Rover on a 3 cell, possibly a few shot buggies to see how they fair,

I've been working out the final drive ratio's and theoretical top speeds of my cars on a spreadsheet today, the results are quite suprising. Ironically, the Hornet has the lowest final drive ratio therefore the longest gearing of all! Ironic because it's not an easy one to control. With a 4300kv motor and 3S with 130mm pin spikes, how does 88.95mph sound?? #Outatime

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nitomor said:

Hornet [...] With a 4300kv motor and 3S with 130mm pin spikes, how does 88.95mph sound?? #Outatime

If you do only one run, it has to be this :D

God, wouldn't it be cool. I'd need a long runway and an air traffic control tower to control that! Even then I don't think it would stay on the black stuff!! :)

1 hour ago, Nitomor said:

I've been working out the final drive ratio's and theoretical top speeds of my cars on a spreadsheet today, the results are quite suprising. Ironically, the Hornet has the lowest final drive ratio therefore the longest gearing of all! Ironic because it's not an easy one to control. With a 4300kv motor and 3S with 130mm pin spikes, how does 88.95mph sound?? #Outatime

I think one of the best bang for buck cars is probably going to be the Mad Bull. The transmission will take silly power, there's room in the chassis to get 3S in there, and the suspension is a lot more forgiving than the hornet..

It would also be interested the cost / mph ratio of the cars, who can get the best value for money speed.

We are also excluding the crawler community from this fun, we should also have a class for the slowest vehicle (Not as easy as it sounds). That one is a lot easier to record, just film the car travelling the length of a 1m ruler (Only rule is the car cannot be stationary at any point.). It's then easy to use the timestamps of the video to work out speed.

I agree, the Mad Bull is third on my list for potential Top speeds. 

1. Hornet/Lunchbox* (If fitted with Hornet pinion - Imagine that at 88mph!)FDR=8.17:1

2. DT03T FDR= 8.3:1

3. MadBull FDR= 8.34:1

4.Aero Avante = 9.58:1

5. Modified WT01 = 12.75:1

FDR = Final Drive Ratio, this is based on using the largest pinions where there is a choice.