Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

1 hour ago, Nitomor said:

God, wouldn't it be cool. I'd need a long runway and an air traffic control tower to control that! Even then I don't think it would stay on the black stuff!! :)

Depends on whether the bodyshell is painted black or not ;)

Ha, well it's already spoilerless so it's halfway to being 'slippery', aerodynamically speaking of course!

1 minute ago, Nitomor said:

I agree, the Mad Bull is third on my list for potential Top speeds. 

1. Hornet/Lunchbox* (If fitted with Hornet pinion - Imagine that at 88mph!)

2. DT03T 

3. MadBull

4.Aero Avante

5. Modified WT01

I've got to get a GPS speed monitor yet, but I'm hoping to have a go with:

3S 4000KV DF-02 (4750 if I can persuade a mate to borrow his motor)

4S 2000KV TXT-1

2S 4000KV hotshot

3S Juggernaut 2 on silver cans

3S FAV on silver can.

1/16 King Tiger running 540s and a 9.6V battery :) (Think I'll be the only entry in the 1/16 tracked vehicle catergory)

• Like 2

Looking forward to it already :) 

I've added Final Drive Ratio's to my earlier post btw if it's of interest.

If you could borrow that motor for the DF02 you'd be over 70mph with 110mm or larger tyres.

Mine is on stock silvercan at the moment, with a 3S and the Vajra tyres it is wearing, it should theoretically top out at 37mph. I'm not sure how accurate this will be in reality but I've enjoyed doing the excercise!

• Like 1

How to easily calculate those FD4's and what numbers should we look out for, as in, what's a fast or slow fdr?

I had to put together a spreadsheet and count the gear teeth on the various gears to work out the final drive ratio's, some models have more counter gears etc than others. If you pm me your email address I can send it over to you. At the moment it is setup for Hornet, lunchbox, WR02's, WT/R01's, DF02, Mad Bull DT01, DT03T Aqroshot, Bullhead and Bruiser (might need more work on the Bruiser) but the template now covers most Tamiya transmissions in so far as one of the templates will pretty much suit another chassis. It's still a work in progress.

The higher the final drive ratio, the higher the torque therefore the faster the acceleration and the shorter/lower geared it would be therefore it will have a lower top end.

The lower the final drive ratio, the lower the torque and in turn the slower accelerating it will be but the trade off will be that it is subsequently taller/higher geared resulting in a faster top end speed.

You can calculate the speed from the rpm, tyre circumference and final drive ratio, the spreadsheet will do that for you as the maths is all there now, you just need to input the pinion T count you're using, the tyre diameter, battery voltage and kv rating (for brushed I just modify the kv to match the quoted rpm at 7.2v, so a silver can I have down as 2500kv = 18,000rpm approx. I went through all the manuals today counting teeth on the various gears and then working out the ratio of each gear interaction (driven gear/drive gear) then multiply all the interactions together for final drive ratio. 

Cheers

Nito

Maybe its me but I think it should be limited to 7.2V battery packs or 2s lipo only, otherwise its just going to get a bit crazy. ?

James

:)

1 hour ago, Jim_GT-R said:

Maybe its me but I think it should be limited to 7.2V battery packs or 2s lipo only, otherwise its just going to get a bit crazy. ?

James

Personally I don't see the point in sticking to 2S, you aren't going to see anything with an out of the ordinary turn of speed unless you are using very expensive motor systems. (Bear in mind there are a lot of modified clod busters out there running 14.4V systems, and people with hotshots / bigwigs who may want to run them on 8.4V)

3S is also a cheaper way to go fast than spending out on really high performance motor systems. I'd rather spend £25 on a 3S LiPo and £15 on a hobbywing 1060 speedo and run it in a silver can, rather than spending out on expensive brushless system and 2S cells.

Plus of course, there is nothing to stop anyone using 3S plus with a mechanical speedo, as there are no voltage ratings on them ..... ;)

and I think the spirit of the competition is to see what is the art of the possible, rather than a strict competition with rigid rules so everyone is within a narrow performance margin.

I'm just biased as I've found a lot of my cars run great on 3S (e.g the FAV with the silver can), it's highly doubtful it will be fastest in class, but it will show others you can get XXmph out of it by just putting in a higher voltage battery.

If someone wants to put 6S in a hornet and run through a mechanical speedo, I say 'go for it, can't wait to see the video' :) :ph34r:

PS: I'm still baulking at spending £45-£55 on a skyrc GPS unit, has anyone found anything cheaper ? (Satnav with max speed, GPS watch, etc). Also, looking at the description for the skyrc unit, it says it comes with a LiPo power source, does it also come with a charger, or is it removeable so you can charge with a conventional LiPo balance charger ?

• Like 2

It charges off a usb port. Lead supplied. If you have a smartphone, the Speed view app is very good if you're feeling brave.

I agree with Mad Inventor re batteries, I'm pretty sure as the times come in 2s and 3s will end up getting split into different categories otherwise noone will end up bothering with uploading 2s which would be a pity. Equally to not see the full potential would likewise be a shame.

For the moment the fun is in seeing what is possible regardless. These cars aren't built for big speed, I don't think you'll see many running on more than 3s, they'd simply be too uncontrollable. Did anyone see the drag racer grasshopper on Tamiyablog today though lol?!!

49 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

If someone wants to put 6S in a hornet and run through a mechanical speedo, I say 'go for it, can't wait to see the video' :) :ph34r:

That's interesting madinventor. What is fhe limit to these mechanical speed controllers? I've got a few stored away but didn't realise they could  handle something like 6s. Got the hornet too. Just need that huge battery :D. I'm only joking about going through with this but genuinely interested knowing what the motor  and battery limit is on the mechanical speed controllers. 

I wouldn't trust an msc with that sort of power, whereas they don't have a motor turn limit, the wiring wasn't designd to handle the voltage of  modern multi cell lipo packs. I don't speak with any authority but I can't see the resistor handling/trying to hold back high voltage at low speeds imho, they used to melt everything around them and crack and crumble dealing with 7.2v let alone 6s! :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MadInventor said:

Personally I don't see the point in sticking to 2S, you aren't going to see anything with an out of the ordinary turn of speed unless you are using very expensive motor systems. (Bear in mind there are a lot of modified clod busters out there running 14.4V systems, and people with hotshots / bigwigs who may want to run them on 8.4V)

3S is also a cheaper way to go fast than spending out on really high performance motor systems. I'd rather spend £25 on a 3S LiPo and £15 on a hobbywing 1060 speedo and run it in a silver can, rather than spending out on expensive brushless system and 2S cells.

Plus of course, there is nothing to stop anyone using 3S plus with a mechanical speedo, as there are no voltage ratings on them ..... ;)

and I think the spirit of the competition is to see what is the art of the possible, rather than a strict competition with rigid rules so everyone is within a narrow performance margin.

I'm just biased as I've found a lot of my cars run great on 3S (e.g the FAV with the silver can), it's highly doubtful it will be fastest in class, but it will show others you can get XXmph out of it by just putting in a higher voltage battery.

PS: I'm still baulking at spending £45-£55 on a skyrc GPS unit, has anyone found anything cheaper ? (Satnav with max speed, GPS watch, etc). Also, looking at the description for the skyrc unit, it says it comes with a LiPo power source, does it also come with a charger, or is it removeable so you can charge with a conventional LiPo balance charger ?

Fair point. :) My comment wasn't meant as a dig or anything, was just thinking speed wise it could get a bit silly in public places with people going around. :) I am quite lucky and work in a very large bus depot on nightshift, so thats not a concern for me. But just worth a thought.

I have installed my 5.5T Brushless system into my Monster Beetle and turned the max RPM down to 40% just to see how it goes. Least I can turn it up bit by bit if needed, should be fun.

Yeah the £50 for the skyrc (which is the only decent one there is) I am hovering over TBH, especially since this is the only time I would use it TBH. Be cheaper buying an old android phone £20 and getting a GPS speed app!!

James

That 'speedview' app is excellent Jim. It gives far more info than the SkyRc unit. The sky rc scores because of its weight and more importantly size. I had a disaster trying to mount the phone below the shell securely, film the process while trying to fiddle about with bodyclips and the like only to find that the phone had stopped tracking when I put the shell on (my finger must have caught the screen somehow). Having the skyrc velcro'd to the outside should be far easier especially when videoing and of course aside from the trucks, it's very hard to find space for a phone on the buggies.

Fair point about trying to achieve 3S speeds safely, it is an issue finding a safe/big/quiet enough location, hopefully we're all responsible enough to take the necessary precautions. Another reason not to use an msc with a non 2.4g radio lol, with regards being frozen out at full pelt!!

• Like 1

OOf, a MSC burned out at full speed and stuck on does not sound good at all !! :( ........ I have had racing incidents where luckily my BRCA insurance covered any issues. But I would hate anyone to get a public liability claim against them.

Yeah the skyrc unit is very small and would be perfect for my SP12M run (being 1/12 scale pan car and not much room) 

James

8 hours ago, MadInventor said:

6S would be silly idea,especially through a 3 step.

I've got everything to possibly run 5S with an esc! 😀

Although it would push the rpm over its 100000 limit.........🤔

9 hours ago, Terz1 said:

That's interesting madinventor. What is fhe limit to these mechanical speed controllers? I've got a few stored away but didn't realise they could  handle something like 6s. Got the hornet too. Just need that huge battery :D. I'm only joking about going through with this but genuinely interested knowing what the motor  and battery limit is on the mechanical speed controllers. 

I didn't say it would handle 6S, just that I would be interested to see the video !

It was not something I would seriously advocate, however about 10 years ago, I ran a Mad Bull with a 13 double motor, a 12V NiCad (9.6 velcro'ed in the battery slot with the ends filed off, and the additional cells taped to the front bumper to keep the front end down). I ran this with an MSC with all the wires removed and replaced with aircraft grade silver nickel wire and some heavy duty 12V resistors  from RS. As long as the speedo was kept clean it was ok, but I had to lock the diff  as running it open as soon as I went from 1st to 2nd speed one of the rear tires ballooned and flipped the car over. I was able to run this on a large flat area of tarmac with distance markers already on it, and was getting very close to 50mph with it, although the timing was done with a manual stopwatch so difficult to accurately measure.

• Like 3

Thanks for the excel offer Nito I might take you up on the offer when I have more time to play. For now I'm more than happy to wait for yours and others efforts to roll in who have also used a speed calculator to see the theoretical top speed compared to what is actually achievable... Can't wait!

Yeah no battery limits for the reasons mentioned, I will split the categories to Nimh (for the old school mob) 2s and 3s etc when they are nearly filled with the first top ten.... and hoping those night time runs are well lit :)

The SKYRC GPS can be had for £43 iirc from EBay. Once you have it I'm sure you can use it for other stuff... It has altitude recorders if you fly drones etc? Or chuck  it in your pocket and see how fast you can run ( not holding as swinging arms give a higher top speed lol) or how far you've covered.

No worries, to get speed in kmh from the final drive ratio divide the tyre circumference in mm (diameter x pi 3.14 blablabla) by the final drive ratio and multiply the result by rpm. Then divide that figure by 1000000x60 for kmh. Then convert km to miles.

So; (circumference mm / FDR) x rpm /1000000x60 =km/h :)

If I wanted to be flippant I could suggest it would be easier to just strap a GPS on the car and go do a speed run to find out its top speed... But where's the fun in that lol.

It begs the question if theoretically a car should go 40mph but only goes 20mph you would know something is wrong with your car.. Binding somewhere in the driveline or dying batteries not giving peak performance etc... all good stuff to tinker with.

Did some runs today at the kids school. These were just some baseline runs really. My Brushless WT01 was only 1-2mph off where it should have been, but these were done on their football pitches so grass which may knock an mph off, the other mph I'd put down to the skyrc which under reads compared to my speedview app by 1mph when I had them side by side in the car, it also only does whole numbers which might be why (app does two decimal places) and I don't know if it rounds up, I expect not.

The silvercan runs were really disappointing, I've obviously over rated the silvercans putting them as 18,000rpm at 7.4v, I expect they are no where near from the speeds. Then I was all excited with trying 3s. These batteries haven't been used for years. Despite charging/balancing them both the esc was bringing in low voltage cut, one of them allowed 3 s momentarily but then cut down to less than 2S speeds. Maybe the puny 1800mah and 20c had the amp draw pulling the voltage down too quick causing it to come in. One of them got pretty warm too so clearly flight packs are no good, not even with the silvercan which was a suprising disappointment. I'll post times/vids etc when I get in.

• Like 1

Nito you could plug a Low Voltage Alarm buzzer into the balance lead of your lipo, set it for 3.4v ( depending if your esc lvc is also 3.4v etc) and then you'd hear it buzz under load if the voltage sag from the lipo occurred under throttle etc... This would indicate the lipo can't handle the drain being asked of it from that set up.

2 hours ago, Nitomor said:

Did some runs today at the kids school. These were just some baseline runs really. My Brushless WT01 was only 1-2mph off where it should have been, but these were done on their football pitches so grass which may knock an mph off, the other mph I'd put down to the skyrc which under reads compared to my speedview app by 1mph when I had them side by side in the car, it also only does whole numbers which might be why (app does two decimal places) and I don't know if it rounds up, I expect not.

The silvercan runs were really disappointing, I've obviously over rated the silvercans putting them as 18,000rpm at 7.4v, I expect they are no where near from the speeds. Then I was all excited with trying 3s. These batteries haven't been used for years. Despite charging/balancing them both the esc was bringing in low voltage cut, one of them allowed 3 s momentarily but then cut down to less than 2S speeds. Maybe the puny 1800mah and 20c had the amp draw pulling the voltage down too quick causing it to come in. One of them got pretty warm too so clearly flight packs are no good, not even with the silvercan which was a suprising disappointment. I'll post times/vids etc when I get in.

I'm using an 1800mah 3S LiPo in my FAV with a silver can, and have not had issues with it. I think it is 20c as well. Sounds like the battery might be toast ?

Worth noting the Skyrc gps's on ebay are mostly chinese sellers posting on ebay uk @£43, the actual uk sellers price seems to be around the £56-£60 mark. :( 

Took my Monster Beetle for a wee run today with the reduced RPM 5.5T Vampire Racing motor and boy does it shift. Its crazy fast and thats at 40% RPM!!!!

Nitomor - Yes I believe the stock 540's to actually be around the 13-15K RPM mark at best. I remember having a race dynoed Trinity Green Machine 3 27T Stock Motor that ran 33400RPM. Also had a standard 17 turn mod motor ( Trinity Monsters of Touring) and that only ran a dynoed 34100RPM. So turn aint everything, something like a Reedy 19T Spec motor will almost match a 12T mod motor !!

If its dry tomorrow I will take the SP12M out for a run and see how it goes (might even record a wee vid),  running a Vampire Racing 5.5T motor with Reventon R ESC, Turnigy 5600 100C Lipo and a Spektrum DX6i ;)

James

• Like 1