Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

10 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

The SKYRC GPS can be had for £43 iirc from EBay. Once you have it I'm sure you can use it for other stuff... It has altitude recorders if you fly drones etc? Or chuck  it in your pocket and see how fast you can run ( not holding as swinging arms give a higher top speed lol) or how far you've covered.

They must be useful, as since this thread was started, I've been checking ebay uk and usa for second hand ones,and not seen any!

Checked to see if my old smart phone would actually fit under the shell of the dark impact, and it wont. It will fit under the lunchbox though! 🙄

I'm guessing there's no rules for swapping gear over to other chassis?? 

11 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Nito you could plug a Low Voltage Alarm buzzer into the balance lead of your lipo

I should really get a lipo voltage tester as a bare minimum really, I don't own a low voltage alarm, for what they cost maybe I should invest. I can't remember what the lv protection is on this rig, I think it should be set to 3.2v per cell.

11 hours ago, MadInventor said:

I'm using an 1800mah 3S LiPo in my FAV with a silver can, and have not had issues with it. I think it is 20c as well. Sounds like the battery might be toast ?

Sounds like it. I know lithium doesn't have memory like nimh, maybe its worth me running it out gently to full lipo cut iff and giving a full proper charge. I have two of these packs and both were playing up, though I only remember charging one of them last week. Does your lipo pack run hot?

10 hours ago, Jim_GT-R said:

Nitomor - Yes I believe the stock 540's to actually be around the 13-15K RPM mark at best. 

I'd say you're pretty much bang on for a stock silver can, going by my speeds I'm working it back at around 14,000rpm. I guess the published rpm's are no load anyway, though my brushless kv is pretty spot on.

so bottom line, on 2S Running on grass I got;

WT01 running 4300kv, 18T and 136mm gmade big horns =41kmh/25.48mph

Hornet running silver can, 18T and 102mm WR02 pin spikes =31kmh/19.26

Aero Avante, silver can, 19T, 110mm Vajra tyres = 27kmh/16.78mph

vids to follow once I've worked it all out!!

ps, speeds recorded in kmh as per Jasons to give best chance of getting to nearest round speed as it doesn't calculate to two decimal places so figure kmh will afford slightly better accuracy.

Nito the lipo might be good but the system just draws too much, will let u check it out but don't chick away good Lipo's if they'll work in a better suited system.

if you wanted to really get into it you could buy a charger which gives Internal Resistance (IR) measurements for each lipo cell, this tells you the state of the cell and you'll know if the lipo is good or not by this one simple reading. The lower the IR reading the better. Lipo Cells degrade from time and use but mostly from being drained too low, even once can ruin a cell from which it'll rarely recover. 

Look forward to the vids the speeds sound great especially the headlining WT-01... That's as fast as my Blitzer Beetle at 27MPH

Does anyone know if the SKYRC can be changed from KPH to MPH?

Yes you can configure it in settings when you plug it into the computer. That's about the only thing the software is good for!

Cool, going to try it now, I prefer MPH.

Do you usut use the same USB Cable it came with... my computer doesn't recognise it, I would've expected a pop up box or something?

I tried SKYRC.com and found a download section for this GPS but that didn't work either.. it installed onto my desktop but only has 3 options within it, none of which seem to do anything (Repair/Modify/delete ).

I struggled too, downloaded the software and the computer wouldn't see the unit in the drive. But if you download the software and open the programme, any changes you make will have effect on the unit. So althuough thr computer can't see it the software can. It downloads some bridge thing or something as a connection protocol. I hate computers so it's about as techy as I can get!

The problem with mph is you'll have reduced sensitivity, so my 25.48mph would only read as 25mph so you''re losing out on a bit of resolution. At least to the nearest km is a smaller band.

vid of the WT01 here... 25.48mph

Running spec; 4300kv, 2S lipo, 18T pinion, 135mm Gmade Big Horn Tyres.

Spreadsheet shows theoretical max speed should be 28mph but that is without load I guess so really the weight of the rig should be factored into my calculations somehow so I'll add a field for this and tweak it through realtime results, which is part of the fun for meto get an accurate spreadsheet together! This is running on grass, motor timing is on default setting. Possible more to gain, I do't know if full 4300kv is delivered with motor timing in max setting? I'm on stock pinion at the moment. Wanted to see how the truck would behave flat out, better to attempt on grass until I'm happy with myself regarding stability and control as you can see in vid! I ran two back to back runs with same result.

cheers

Nito

• Like 1

List updated! 

This goes in the 2WD Monster Truck category - 41KPH / 25.5MPH

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nitomor said:

I should really get a lipo voltage tester as a bare minimum really, I don't own a low voltage alarm, for what they cost maybe I should invest. I can't remember what the lv protection is on this rig, I think it should be set to 3.2v per cell.

Sounds like it. I know lithium doesn't have memory like nimh, maybe its worth me running it out gently to full lipo cut iff and giving a full proper charge. I have two of these packs and both were playing up, though I only remember charging one of them last week. Does your lipo pack run hot?

My pack barely gets warm. I'm running the FAV with full bearings and standard gearing, apart from TLT-1 rear wheels and tires, which are larger than the standard tires. I've just been and checked my pack, it is a 1800mah 20c pack, and below is a video where you can see it going. Most of the time it's not running full throttle as it's trying to keep pack with my towing vehicle, but you see in a couple of places it's got enough punch to lift the front end from a rolling start. This is also a real cheap Chinese pack I got in a car from a boot sale, not even branded or a hard case LiPo, so it's nothing special.

Thanks MadInventor,

I'll persevere carefully then. I plugged it in just now and all three cells were balanced at 4.1v so I don't know why it just didn't have the power on any of my rigs. They're running different esc's which rules out thermal out issues. The low voltage cut is all I can put it down to, for some reason voltage must be dropping but as you say from the spec and as yours have shown, a silvercan should not bring that on, I could almost understand with the brushless. I'm going to try running a couple of packs down or cycling them on the charger. These are the ones I have...

large.IMG_1090.JPG.1caf952d0d285a5fcccd3

large.IMG_1091.JPG.934d15000aee68625371c

cheers

Nito

New category added - "Fastest overall TAMIYA car" - With a note as to which Category the car falls under and which page the actual speed run is on.

Reminder - When submitting Speed run entries please include all the relevant info listed in the rules on page 1 (Model, Motor, battery, gearing etc)

So I have this M05 Mini Cooper Racing kit just sitting here, and after running some very basic numbers I get an ideal (not realistic) answer of 200 km/h or 124 mph...  :blink:

11.1 V * (9410 rpm/V) * (60 min/hr) * (1 axle-revolution/5.79 motor-revolution) * (pi * 59 mm / 1 axle-revolution) * (1 m / 1000 mm) * (1 km / 1000 m) = 200 km/hr

• 3S LiPo
  • 3.5T / 9410 kV motor
  • 120 A ESC
  • 20T pinion
  • kit 59 mm tires taped and balanced

Now, realistically I have to consider if the magnets will debond from the rotor at 100,000 rpm, if the tires will rip, if a small pebble will launch the car, how the air will slow it down, how unstable this short wheelbase is, will anything catch fire pulling 100 amps continuously, etc.

I think it would be a hoot to get to even half this speed, maybe 100 km/h or 62 mph...  But it just doesn't seem real...  There's only one way to find out!  B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

• 3.5T / 9410 kV motor

My castle says its 3.5T but 'only' 5700kv! 

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Now, realistically I have to consider if the magnets will debond from the rotor at 100,000 rpm

I'm not 100% sure how the kv/rpm is measured, but if its a , no load measurement  (thinking how manufactures fudge figures), then you may not get close to the 100000 figure.

Only one way to find out for sure! 😉

I've ordered up a SkyRC GPS unit today from a UK supplier, so hopefully should be in a position to go out and try it on the weekend :)

• Like 4

I am tempted to give this a go.

I have a spare DT-01 chassis or two to play with. Axle should be tough enough for anything.

Thinking big rear tyres and smaller front to stop it flipping

• Like 2

Sorry Jason but I'm going to have to knock you off that top spot for the moment. I wasn't going to post this because the 3S cells weren't behaving properly, but they were enough to nudge me past you so here we go ;)

4300kv, 3s, 18T pinion, 136mm big horns! 45kmh/27.96mph :)

And my Hornet entry for 2wd buggy, again with the defective 3S, it managed 32kmh on 2S but only 35kmh on 3S. Here is the 3S run which equates to 35kmh/21.75mph running stock silver can, 3S, 18T pinion and 102mm WR02 pin spike tyres.

It's actuall really entertaining like this. I really don't know why its down on 3s to being marginally more than 2S but its a lovely balance for this car. I love the Hornet and with the really light 3S flight pack it's a really nice light fit. With big wheels and light battery the Hornet suspension actually seems to work really well and it's really stable :)

And finally, 4wd buggy entry, Aero Avante DF02, running on 2S, 19T pinion, silver can and Vajra 110mm tyres. 27kmh/16.78mph

Edited to say next time I take vids I'll point the camera at the gps for 5 seconds or so to make it easier to read, it isn't as clear on the uploaded vid as my home video.

I think i know what my 3S issues might be after reading around on other forums, I think it is themal protection cutting in because I'm running big wheels which must be causing a lot more amp draw for the motor so perhaps my theoretical speeds for 3s with big wheels goes out the window! 

I wonder what brings on the thermal cut out (thermistors), too much amp draw from a battery struggling to provide enough juiceheating things up, so would a larger mah battery get over it? Or is it just too much heat/draw generated by the highly geared motor? I think I might have to try smaller wheels out and see if it still happens!

58 minutes ago, Nitomor said:

And finally, 4wd buggy entry, Aero Avante DF02, running on 2S, 19T pinion, silver can and Vajra 110mm tyres. 27kmh/16.78mph

Edited to say next time I take vids I'll point the camera at the gps for 5 seconds or so to make it easier to read, it isn't as clear on the uploaded vid as my home video.

Is that a public space you're running in, or your back garden ?

Hopefully going to give you some competition soon, just sorting my DF-02 for a run on the weekend this evening, got a 67T spur going in with the tallest pinion (22 tooth I think), f350 tires for running on tarmac, a 4000KV motor and a 4000mah 3S pack (not a small flight pack. Hoping for at least 40-45mph, got a 55 and a 58T spur gear on standby from a TT-01 kit (Destroyed the 61T spur), but not sure If I have a pinion large enough to use them with. ;)

Sounds great bring it on!! That's the kids school, half term so headmaster kindly let me play! 

The cars were getting to full speed in the length of the first football pitch. Speeds here were 2kmh more than I could get at home but I think this is down to shorter grass and flatter/harder ground. I really need to find a good tarmac venue. I honestly think my 3S issues are with the discharge rate causing the battery to sag on demand dropping the voltage down, not helped by the extra resistance of running on grass and big wheels. I'm tempted to get a bigger capacity pack but they'll struggle to fit the tight Tamiya enclosures and I'm not going to hack them about!

Looking forward to your runs :)

29 minutes ago, Nitomor said:

Sounds great bring it on!! That's the kids school, half term so headmaster kindly let me play! 

The cars were getting to full speed in the length of the first football pitch. Speeds here were 2kmh more than I could get at home but I think this is down to shorter grass and flatter/harder ground. I really need to find a good tarmac venue. I honestly think my 3S issues are with the discharge rate causing the battery to sag on demand dropping the voltage down, not helped by the extra resistance of running on grass and big wheels. I'm tempted to get a bigger capacity pack but they'll struggle to fit the tight Tamiya enclosures and I'm not going to hack them about!

Looking forward to your runs :)

I'll take some picks as well of how I fitted a big 4000mah 3S pack in the DF-02.

• Like 1

I think the C rating is what needs to increase, not necessarily the mah capacity - some race packs are 50C+ to deal with the high current drain. I think even a 20C battery will provide the current, but it will become unstable and damaged in the process which is a little dangerous and therefore to be avoided.

I'm very happy with my Yuki Models Brainergy Lipo, maybe worth a look. I can't tell any rear-world difference to the twice as expensive Gens Ace I also use.

• Like 2

Thanks Madinventor, the DF I think will be more accomodating battery wise, the Hornet has the tightest battery compartment of all, and he WT01 is rounded which prevents any square lipos!

Are you talking 3S illogical?

Something like this should fit in the chassis and provide enough juice,,,it's another flight pack. Allegedly that quoted C rating is continuous.

http://www.yuki-model.de/Accumulators/3S-LiPo-11-1V/LiPo-3s1p-11-1V-2-200mAh-45C-BRAINERGY-compatible-with-Deans-T-Plug.htm?shop=cn_en&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=801045&t=813&c=865&p=865

8 hours ago, Nitomor said:

Sorry Jason but I'm going to have to knock you off that top spot for the moment. I wasn't going to post this because the 3S cells weren't behaving properly, but they were enough to nudge me past you so here we go ;)

4300kv, 3s, 18T pinion, 136mm big horns! 45kmh/27.96mph :)

Well that's just rude lol!

I need to view these videos on my big monitor and not my phone as I can't read the GPS on this 45KPH "claimed" ( hehe) video on my phone. But remember Nito it needs to show CLEARLY the GPS at zero to start with... It doesn't matter if you have to hold it there for 20 seconds to get the light right or the camera to zoom as this is the most important part... but from this video it starts with 45KPH already on the GPS?

If so it can't hold up as its against the rules... Let me check it properly after my gym time this morning, toodle pip for now :)

It does look tasty though! How was the motor temps? And don't forget to mention the category to go into just for completeness.