Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

Yeah lesson for next time, some of my vids are poor in respect of showing the gps, I need to hold it over and steadier for longer. The thing is you can't see when you are recording what it looks like, watching it back I'd say I probably need to hold it steady for 5 secs at least and remember that you loose resolution in the video when uploading. It's ok, I can't contest a top spot with lame footage so you can keep your record until I get a tarmac run in or madInventor has his run! The gps starts at 42 in that video because I've edited the full 5 minute run

large.IMG_1085.PNG.c125d3560b87f606dea83

but 45 is higher than 42 anyway. I do have the run from 0kmh so could also upload but it's a boring 5 minute video. In future I'll just record do the run and come back for result. I mainly wanted to get a feel for it all on that day in particular the stability at speed because the WT needs to be handled with finesse.

large.IMG_1087.PNG.0fa9b7c4504abc1786307

It's a lot clearer on my own video, so I'll need to be a lot more careful in future vids....

Motor temps were absolutely fine, but the 3S lipo got quite warm in this model but then this is brushless and it was going for quite some time. That was a 5 minute video originally but I've edited the first three minutes of me whining about the battery lol!! I will add music to future vids but itunes has managed to mess up and corrupt my entire library that I spent ages burning onto it grrr. Still you've all been spared my random taste in music.

Category is monster 2wd WT01. I guess if accepted this would supersede the previous run with one entry per model per category? Or does this get split into the 3s category or just added to the list with 3s in brackets?

Yeah I am ultra careful to make sure the GPS is held steady and focused for this very reason..... honestly this is at the core of the video effort and after all the prep work to get to that point it's a shame to fall at the last hurdle.

But if I let this rule slip it sets a precedent for future conclusive video's which isn't a good thing.

If you see my video's the GPS is so clearly visible and I even slow-mo down the footage to make it last longer on the money shot if needed... this isn't an editing cheat because you can see the video movement is one continuous shot from normal to slow-mo then back to normal again :)

You pose a good question about running a car with 2s and then with 3s... well, as there are no category splits yet they are all going to get lumped into just one category for now.... then as this fills up I will split into 2s and 3s..... i think just one (3s) category with a bracket mention to the other lipo run on 2s? What do others think?

Yeah Nito I just watched the WT-01 3s Lipo run at 45KPH on my work PC and can’t see the GPS at zero at the start so sorry pal, the rule kicks in and it can’t go on the list.. I know it’s only a matter of time before you do it again though :ph34r:

i know you show a still screen at 42KPH and that then increased to 45KPHvits just a bit messy to follow this all, would be better in just one clear video.

everyone watch my videos (theres enough of them!) and use these as a template when making or editing videos here please.

Will watch the other vids later gotta head into the city for business now, but seeing other posters here I’m hoping everyone can make qualifying video’s, this is half the battle, not just making a fast car, it’s how to prove it aswell  ;)

That's totally reasonable Jason and the correct precedent for everyone else's vids.  I zoomed in on the Hornet video after figuring out how to do it last night. So that's cool to know that's ok and slow mo if needed (though I don't know how to do that yet!). I've never done any vids other than with the iphone before so this is all new to me, had the Go Pro for my birthday about 2 years ago and this is the first time I've used it so bit of a learning curve, hopefully it will be useful for others to see how the quality drops when uploading to youtube and how easy it is for the display to be not that legible when you are recording and can't see it come up in realtime on screen.

I knew you'd be ok about it, now I'm waiting for the return of the jedi lol. I honestly don't mind being knocked off top spot, I'm only keeping it warm for the next member!

A new 3s Lipo arrived today for my speed runs when I eventually gt to 3s... I want good baseline figures for my 2s runs first.... .... a 11.1v, 2600Mah and 35C Discharge should be ample.

Y8TCm4u.jpg

Comparing against my other batteries... it's slightly shorter than the two lipo packs, a bit narrower and alot shallower,  it is however longer than my Nimh pack but is narrower and shallower again.

NZh5XoF.jpg

ah8Fgff.jpg

Most importantly it fits inside the WT-01

qDoVjuU.jpg

FOWzo7h.jpg

The Blitzer Beetle

FykflPx.jpg

The TT-02

PRqDqWy.jpg

and the Honda City Turbo- and therefore the Wild Willy 2 aswell

AEmDsK5.jpg

I just need to check it in the DF-03ra but as that is broken I'm in no hurry.

• Like 1

Be careful with a soft pack sticking out of a WT-01 chassis, one nick and it is a lot of smoke and flames. I suppose the one compensation will be you will be filming speed runs so we can all see the fireworks

• Like 3

No worries Jason, do you have a link for that battery? I had been struggling to find a pack similar in size to the HPI type size.

19 minutes ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Be careful with a soft pack sticking out of a WT-01 chassis, one nick and it is a lot of smoke and flames. I suppose the one compensation will be you will be filming speed runs so we can all see the fireworks

Good point! I've had a 4s lipo catch fire in a 1/8 Monster Truck on film on my YouTube channel lol... Just got it out in time whilst still smoking and it burst into flames on the grass.. Caused by the soft case battery shifting during jumping and rubbing on my centre diff spur gear.

Bonus points for the smoke clearing to reveal a 15mph speed run on the GPS display... Not :)

Seriuosly though... Atleast being rear wheel drive only (WT-01) its not going to throw debris at it from the front wheels... But yes can catch passing logs and rocks looking at it... Might have to look into protection on the undercarriage area when off road.

13 minutes ago, Nitomor said:

No worries Jason, do you have a link for that battery? I had been struggling to find a pack similar in size to the HPI type size.

Sure here it is 

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/361641935909

You can choose different Mah which affects pack size and then choose a connector to be fitted too.

My 3s 2600 Mah pack is perfectly balanced with all 3 cells resting at 3.81v each :)

11.1v 2600mAh 35C

Dimensions: 131 x 43.5 x 17.2 mm

Weight: 208g

Continuous Discharge Current: 91A

Burst Discharge Current: 182A

Max Charge Current: 13A

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

I am tempted to give this a go.

I have a spare DT-01 chassis or two to play with. Axle should be tough enough for anything.

Thinking big rear tyres and smaller front to stop it flipping

Don't forget to add some weight to the front to help keep it down if needed ;) 

8 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Sure here it is 

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/361641935909

You can choose different Mah which affects pack size and then choose a connector to be fitted too.

My 3s 2600 Mah pack is perfectly balanced with all 3 cells resting at 3.81v each :)

11.1v 2600mAh 35C

Dimensions: 131 x 43.5 x 17.2 mm

Weight: 208g

Continuous Discharge Current: 91A

Burst Discharge Current: 182A

Max Charge Current: 13A

Thanks, looks just the ticket!!

List updated! ( Nito those packs do look and feel good, best o luck if u choose one too)

Silly question...if I am wanting to use an old mobile to record speed, does it require a SIM card and active connection to a telephone network for the GPS to be active? 

No it should be ok.

I charged mine last night, last used as a speedo on one of my 1:1 motorcycles

IMG_0234.JPG

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ian_Gsi16V said:

What app is that bud?

Called digihud. Os on phone is so old I cannot get on Play store anymore to try others. Old phones have a terrible refresh rate so you will need to hold top speed for over a second to register it.

• Like 1

Got my SkyRC unit from Modelsport today. The first one I ordered was DOA yesterday so I rang up customer service and they said, 'no problem sir, we'll send you out another one for tomorrow, and a jiffy bag prepaid to send the other one back'. Which they did, and I got it today. Great customer service guys, 2 thumbs up, very happy I decided not to buy through Ebay from the far east as I got a replacement within 24hrs. :)

Hopefully I shall be able to get out on the weekend and see what the DF-02 goes like .....

• Like 2

While still waiting for my (hopefully working :blink: SkyRC), I found an old iPhone and temptation got the better of me. 

Strapped it to the front of my DT03 with some insulating tape, GPS app in place.

I've not done any speed runs, and I've never run the car in this config before, tried to video the a car at the same time, or run it in the car park I found, so it was a night of firsts :)

What did I take?

• DT03 Rising Fighter
  • Hobbywing 60A ESC, 9T Brushless
  • 19T Pinion
  • Carson All Terrain 2WD rear wheels
  • CoreRC 4000mAH 30C/60C 2S lipo

Good news:

• I found a couple of reasonable places to run the car of an evening. Not ideal as there are a few bumps, but quiet enough.
  • DT03 performed really well, stable and relatively predictable.
  • Speed - we got some good runs, and close to the theory max.
  • I had a big smile on my face

Bad news:

• Grip, there was none. I'll admit the surface was slightly slippy due to the weather (fog starting to appear), but I hoped for better. I'll try a different set of tires, but I think I either need an airfield, or foams :P
  • Camera work - big fail. I took my dslr on a mini tripod, and it kept stopping the recording, so I have no start -> run -> stop video, so all times are void. Even the bit I did get wasn't focused, and for most of the time the car was out of shot.
  • Car damage. The runs were curtailed when oddly at the same time, both front turnbuckles worked loose. More seriously I discovered when I got back is that the gearbox mounting for the rear arms is cracked; a little connection with the carpark walls (absolutely no braking, everything was a lock up)

So, what did I get - last recording: 56.3 km/h (35mph) :

DSC_8486.JPG

So the predictions of 38 mph on 2s are pretty good. I was only ever able to get a run of a max of 30m due to being uncertain of where bumps are (I had a good 5m endo after one hidden lip), so I think the 38mph/60kph is achievable with better grip, fresh cells and a bit more space. First couple of runs were mid 40s, then a 51 and finally this 56. I think with better visibility the confidence would go up to hold on for a longer run. I'm impressed though, for a little buggy like this!

Great fun to get out there and try it. Having never raced an RC, it was a nice glimpse to feel understeer and other attributes that I don't normally experience.  

IMG_0233.JPG

So tomorrow is some pit work fixing the turnbuckles and inspecting the gearbox mount, and then figuring out how I'm going to film it to get on that leaderboard :lol:

• Like 2

Great stuff, apart from the damage. I can attest that the filming/editing is a PITA! Jason might even keep his record at this rate lol! Here's my camera setup which I'm pretty pleased with apart from the fails above.

large.IMG_1039.JPG.fbfa534130191b5f51c2c

It works really well but as you can see, there's still a learning curve!

I'm pleased the top speed results are not too far off predicted so thanks for that. I'm currently fine tuning the spreadsheet with my newly developed algorithm for weight of the model to simulate the real world load on the motor of pushing the thing along! I hope to develop it with real world results to tweak it into actually being a useful and accurate tool! I'm struggling to find a hard surface big enough to play on, here in the south east every free parcel of land is being built on!!

• Like 1

Nice camera mount idea. I have the bits to replicate that, 10J and all, so I'll have to give it a whirl. 

Damage was part of the collateral. I wasn't being overly risky, but I did imagine it would bump in to things. It's the nice thing about these DT03s, parts are common and the full kits themselves are still €60. It's certainly making me reconsider the 9T I have in my CC01 at the moment :lol: 

Slight update on the DT03 damage though, I managed to get the screw pin out of the rear suspension:

IMG_0235.JPG

That won't be going back in. There's a split in the gearbox mount where that bent, but that should be bodge-able enough for bashing. 

I did actually weigh the car earlier on, before I went out. 1450g all in, save for the iPhone 5 it was carrying, so add another 112g for that.

I've been prepping the DF-02 this evening. With the gear ratio I've got (7.68:1 I think,67T spur and 22T pinion) and high lift tires, if the motor is 90% or more efficient I should hit 91km/h on 3S :) 

I've solved the filming issue by requesting assistance from a friend to operate the camera for me whilst I concentrate on not crashing ;)

If that works I've got a 58T spur and 28T pinion on standby for the next attempt :blink:

• Like 2

7.92 I make it ;)

I literally counted all the teeth on the respective gears and counter gears for my Aero Avante. With the DF02 my spreadsheet works out to the manual quoted FDR's with the different pinion sizes so I'm confident i've done it right. On the WT01 I think Tamiya have it slightly out, they quote 18.3 and I make it 18.03 but hey ho.

LIE MODE ON:

NEW RULE - All film entries must be done  one handed, whilst hopping on one leg,  waving a flag of your choice and humming your countries national anthem in a gruff manner.

That spanner should keep me at the top.

LIE MODE OFF:

Jupiter that's a great speed, see how twitchy these things get once your up and over 30mph... I caused tons of damage to a Traxxas Slash once getting it about 50mph...  You'll all see a 2wd has useless braking from those speeds, my Blitzer needs a good 25ft to brake from its 27odd MPH..... Did I mention I'm still top of the list yet? All part of the fun :)

• Like 1

I had my Bushy D at about 80mph just a couple of weeks ago...  

It was in the trunk of our van, on the way to the beach...

Terry

• Like 2

This was on a rugby field ages ago, so quite coarse tuffs of grass etc. Confident it would hit 80 on something smooth if it could get grip lol, even moreso if it had a 15t pinion, but thats if it could do a clean run.

20150121_182952_zpscwnt1xz1.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, berman said:

This was on a rugby field ages ago, so quite coarse tuffs of grass etc. Confident it would hit 80 on something smooth if it could get grip lol, even moreso if it had a 15t pinion, but thats if it could do a clean run.

75 km/h across a rugby pitch? I'm having a new found respect for the Wild One :lol:

Ok, so I felt a bit of practice was in order today, so I picked something I could try in my back garden without destroying too many things.

a) GF-01 Toyota FJ

b ) 4WD Wheeler

c) a mighty 7.5 mph / 12.0 kmh :D 

d) Your car’s set up including:

e) 13.5 T Sensored Brushless (Speed Passion)

f) Revention S (Speed Passion)

g) 4000mAh 2s Lipo

h) 18T Pinion, standard Spur

i) Kit wheels and tyres

Camera work was a GoPro attached to the grab handle of the 10J, inspired by Nitomor.

Hopefully tonight I can see if it can do better on tarmac, and I've also transplanted my 9T to a stock DT03 while parts are incoming.