Jason1145

Tamiya Club Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers List

2 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

75 km/h across a rugby pitch? I'm having a new found respect for the Wild One :lol:

Ok, so I felt a bit of practice was in order today, so I picked something I could try in my back garden without destroying too many things.

a) GF-01 Toyota FJ

b ) 4WD Wheeler

c) a mighty 7.5 mph / 12.0 kmh :D 

d) Your car’s set up including:

e) 13.5 T Sensored Brushless (Speed Passion)

f) Revention S (Speed Passion)

g) 4000mAh 2s Lipo

h) 18T Pinion, standard Spur

i) Kit wheels and tyres

Camera work was a GoPro attached to the grab handle of the 10J, inspired by Nitomor.

Hopefully tonight I can see if it can do better on tarmac, and I've also transplanted my 9T to a stock DT03 while parts are incoming.

Yessir  -That'll do, going on the list.

One of the best speed run videos I've ever seen :)

After my trial in the garden, I felt the GF01 needed a trip out.

In typical Wheeler style, I had a couple of roll overs. Most of the video seems to be me walking to the car.

I still need to work on getting the camera closer to the phone for logging the speed, but that'll be cured hopefully when a proper GPS arrives.

• GF-01 Toyota FJ
  • 4WD Wheeler
  •  a slightly better 10.4 mph / 16.7 kmh 
  • 13.5 T Sensored Brushless (Speed Passion)
  • Revention S (Speed Passion)
  • 4000mAh 2s Lipo
  • 18T Pinion, standard Spur
  • Kit wheels and tyres

Stability wasn't too bad, as long as I remembered what I was driving. Daylight would help, but more scope for speed with some upgrades.

Run two. After the injuries to the Racing Fighter, the Neo Fighter stepped in:

• DT03 Neo Fighter
  • 2WD Buggy
  • 35.4 mph / 57.0 kmh 
  • 4300kv Ezrun motor
  • 60A Hobbywing ESC
  • 3700mAh 35C 2s Lipo
  • 19T Pinion, standard Spur
  • Kit wheels and tyres

10g heavier than the Racing Fighter, so much the same even though it's completely stock bar the above. Wheels and tyres much better than the Carsons. Potentially more scope for speed in this setup, as I was running out of room.

• Like 1

Final run of the night: TA06 R

I was going to run a TT02 in this class but I've only run this chassis once before, so I wanted to give it a try out. I also noticed that the Hobbywing 1060 it has in it allows for 3S, so I thought it'd be rude not to.

• TA06 R with Ferrari 458 body
  • 4WD Touring
  • 41.6 mph / 66.9 kmh 
  • Tamiya Super Stock TZ motor
  • Hobbywing 1060 brushed ESC
  • 3S Lipo 35C/60C 4500mAh
  • 23T Pinion, 68T Spur
  • Tamiya 53956 wheels and tyres

Much more rapid (even the passer-by was impressed), and as I expected had a few issues with the leaves and small stones. But nothing too much, and lovely, lovely braking. The 3S was a tight squeeze, and I think the motor was getting a little warm too. Have to take my heat gun next time, especially as I have some bigger pinions to play with.

Edited by jupitertwo
Got the model type wrong
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

Final run of the night: TA06 Pro

I was going to run a TT02 in this class but I've only run this chassis once before, so I wanted to give it a try out. I also noticed that the Hobbywing 1060 it has in it allows for 3S, so I thought it'd be rude not to.

• TA06 Pro with Ferrari 458 body
  • 4WD Touring
  • 41.6 mph / 66.9 kmh 
  • 23T Pinion, 68T Spur

Much more rapid (even the passer-by was impressed), and as I expected had a few issues with the leaves and small stones. But nothing too much, and lovely, lovely braking. The 3S was a tight squeeze, and I think the motor was getting a little warm too. Have to take my heat gun next time, especially as I have some bigger pinions to play with.

What you need is the motor and ESC out of the DT-03 in this with the 3S battery. I think the ezrun 60A brushless ESC is rated for 3S as well, although the limit might be 4000KV. There's bound to be some safety margin though and you are running an on road car ;). Just make sure if you try it the tires are glued on.............

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

What you need is the motor and ESC out of the DT-03 in this with the 3S battery. I think the ezrun 60A brushless ESC is rated for 3S as well, although the limit might be 4000KV. There's bound to be some safety margin though and you are running an on road car ;). Just make sure if you try it the tires are glued on.............

Quite :) that is in the plan, I just wanted to see what this would do as I've found easy to get sucked in to the faster motor requires brushless thoughts. the Ezrun 60A recommends a different esc fan for 3s, so I'll need to investigate. Tyres came preglued so I won't forget that. Only one bit of air with the ta06, but the runner body is christened (wore through the lexan on one rear light cluster).

main problem is finding somewhere flat and long enough. I could extend the run at the current site, but that would involve threading between two speed bumps :wacko:  

i did notice though that the road that leads to this estate had been re-laid very nicely. 2am speed run perhaps? :ph34r: :lol:

• Like 2

Night runs, top effort and some great results. I can't believe how quick the TA06 is, I Would have thought with the tiny wheels it would have been massively disadvantaged. The Neo is also impressive, would be interested to see that on 3S too. Aww, and you even used pretty Ferrari red electrical tape to hold the phone on! ;)

My biggest issue is also finding somewhere flat straight and wide enough to run, as the WT's can do some spectacular barrel rolls at the higher speeds...

8 minutes ago, Nitomor said:

Night runs, top effort and some great results. I can't believe how quick the TA06 is, I Would have thought with the tiny wheels it would have been massively disadvantaged. The Neo is also impressive, would be interested to see that on 3S too. Aww, and you even used pretty Ferrari red electrical tape to hold the phone on! ;)

My biggest issue is also finding somewhere flat straight and wide enough to run, as the WT's can do some spectacular barrel rolls at the higher speeds...

I could host a speed event next year. We have a huge amount of space and fields.

Would not be free but it could be done.

I have an event at work on Sunday so will take a couple of cars to speed test and try out the facilities 

• Like 1

Jupitertwo....... I've checked your video's it seems to me the following:

GF-01 - This clearly shows the top speed of 16.7KPH - Going on the list.

DT-03 - I can see the first speed run of 55.6KPH (just about clear enough on Youtube) but the second one of 57KPH is unclear..... but seeing as it is so close to the 55.6KPH it is entirely believable and beyond reproach so it's going on the list at 57KHP by the skin of it's teeth (Unless say, 5 people object... have to set a number somewhere)

TA06 Pro - Not on the List - Arrrgghhh I can#'t see the speed at the end....... please go back and watch the video on Youtube and tell me if it's my eyes are failing but it is not close enough to focus on the GPS.... yes it looked bloomin fast but as you know the rules are there ..... sorry mate,  I feel bad for this as you can probably see it on your own video but the Youtube Upload loses some quality, I've seen this happen myself on my own vids.

Lists updated :)

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

Jupitertwo....... I've checked your video's it seems to me the following:

TA06 Pro - Not on the List - Arrrgghhh I can#'t see the speed at the end....... please go back and watch the video on Youtube and tell me if it's my eyes are failing but it is not close enough to focus on the GPS.... yes it looked bloomin fast but as you know the rules are there ..... sorry mate,  I feel bad for this as you can probably see it on your own video but the Youtube Upload loses some quality, I've seen this happen myself on my own vids.

Lists updated :)

No worries :lol: rules is rules, an excuse to get out there again!

I did a few runs, 66.9, 6x.x and 65? Sadly they all suffer from a lack of clarity, I wasn't getting close enough to the screen. I'll see what I can do, if it's possible to clean it up. The best I have at the moment is a still from the un-uploaded video which shows the speed to be 66.5, not the 66.9 I read, so that show's it's not just your eyes :unsure:

cut.png

2 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

No worries :lol: rules is rules, an excuse to get out there again!

I did a few runs, 66.9, 6x.x and 65? Sadly they all suffer from a lack of clarity, I wasn't getting close enough to the screen. I'll see what I can do, if it's possible to clean it up. The best I have at the moment is a still from the un-uploaded video which shows the speed to be 66.5, not the 66.9 I read, so that show's it's not just your eyes :unsure:

Cool pal, I'm sure you would be out again anyway... and how did you manage to keep the nose down on the 2wd DT-03.... my 2wd Blitzer would wheelie if I gunned it too hard and mine was only capable of 27mph, no where near the 35MPH you hit. Good run!

4 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Cool pal, I'm sure you would be out again anyway... and how did you manage to keep the nose down on the 2wd DT-03.... my 2wd Blitzer would wheelie if I gunned it too hard and mine was only capable of 27mph, no where near the 35MPH you hit. Good run!

I think the DT03 has a better stance than the Blitzer, and there's also the iphone strapped to it's nose (all 115g of it). But yeah, I was expecting a bit more bounce!

• Like 1

Back for a another tonight (no pub sadly :( )

So, some good news and bad news with this one.

Good news - we got a run, and we have a speed recorded that I think we can see.

Bad news is, I bent a rear aluminium suspension mount in the end of the clip. Once I got things back running, I noticed a lot of more engine braking/resistance than before, and shortly a large plume of smoke from the car. Thankfully not the start of a lipo fire, but instead one cooked Tamiya TZ. I'll need to work out if that was a result of the extra load from the large pinion and 3s, or something got jammed/trapped as a result of the bang.

So: 

• TA06 R with Ferrari 458 body
  • 4WD Touring
  • 45.9 mph / 73.8 kmh 
  • 29T Pinion, 68T Spur

Smashed it, the speed challenge record that is, well done :) shame about the damage, hope it's an easy fix for you.

• Like 1

After the talk of large diameter wheels, I thought I'd give my TT02b truggy a try.

I've had the Louise MT Rockets on it for a while, but only done back garden runs in it, so I was curious to see what it could do. Apologies for the noisy gearbox, I've still not been able to cure the bangs and pops, even after a DF02 steel set. I think I need to trim the bits that wouldn't fit, and give those a try.

Funnily the unusable speed recording shown at the start is slightly more than I got recorded, but after the TA06 escapades I wasn't going to push it any more, as I felt I wasn't getting full power anymore.

Details:

• TT02b Dual Ridge
  • 4WD Buggy
  • 34.9 mph / 56.2 kmh 
  • 3500 kv Speed Passion unsensored
  • Revention S ESC
  • 2S Lipo
  • 26T Pinion, 68T Spur (I'll need to double check on the pinion size)
  • Louise MT Rocket wheels
  • Like 1

Finally for to day, the one that actually started my curiosity with these speed runs, a CC01. I've only ever thought of it as a crawler or show car, but with the lowrider kit, I wondered how stable it would be.

Turns out, very. B)

I had thought that the 8.5T Brushless would be too much for it, but it handled it very well. The noisy gearbox (again) is something that both my CC01s have, and I've shimmed the rear axle with the standard two bushings. I'll see tomorrow if it's chewed it any.

I'm not sure I'm confident to go to 3S with it. If I can get the drive train not complaining I might try faster, but I like the truck too much to want roll overs.

• CC01 Pajero Low Rider
  • 4WD Monster Truck is the closest, or is 4WD Touring? hmm :lol:
  • 25.8 mph / 41.5 kmh 
  • 8.5T / 4400 kv Sensored Brushless
  • Revention R ESC
  • 2S Lipo
  • Stock 20T Pinion, stock spur
  • Stock wheels and tires

22 minutes ago, Nitomor said:

Smashed it, the speed challenge record that is, well done :) shame about the damage, hope it's an easy fix for you.

Thanks! Yeah, as much as I can tell it's just the alum part that's bent. The rear suspension arms and bars seem fine. I'm miffed with myself for not being more careful with the motor. I think the impact might have bound the pinion and the spur together perhaps, and the combination of all the power and all the resistance was enough to pop it. Shame, as it was a lovely motor on 2S.

It was interesting though how that extra bit of speed meant that breaking was no longer easy, the behaviour of the car really changed between the 29T and 23T. Other factors could be at work, but the conditions were better if anything.

That's added a few more times to the boards (though I think my GF01 needs updating), I'm looking forward to reading and watching what everyone else experiences. :)

This is my fear with the WT, it's nowhere near as stable at high speeds and I imagine instability increases exponentially. I have a brushless lunchbox that with a Hornet pinion is good for 70+mph for goodness sake!! In reality I can't see it could get anywhere near!

The braking force comes from the motor - assuming it's a constant, just changing to a larger pinion for more speed will reduce motor braking forces at the wheels - a bit of a catch-22.

It might be interesting to try the CC-01 as FWD and see if you can squeeze a bit more out of it. You could even try it as RWD, and experiment with locked or open diffs.

Is it on lowrider wheels and tires? Do you have the all terrain set too?

7 hours ago, Nitomor said:

This is my fear with the WT, it's nowhere near as stable at high speeds and I imagine instability increases exponentially. I have a brushless lunchbox that with a Hornet pinion is good for 70+mph for goodness sake!! In reality I can't see it could get anywhere near!

Yeah, I had those fears with a Monster Beetle and my CW01s. My beetle has a lexan bashed shell which might help, but given I couldn't keep the GF01 upright at 12mph, I'm worried about barrel rolling at higher speeds. I was relying on you to lead the way!

7 hours ago, Illogical said:

The braking force comes from the motor - assuming it's a constant, just changing to a larger pinion for more speed will reduce motor braking forces at the wheels - a bit of a catch-22.

It might be interesting to try the CC-01 as FWD and see if you can squeeze a bit more out of it. You could even try it as RWD, and experiment with locked or open diffs.

Is it on lowrider wheels and tires? Do you have the all terrain set too?

I have a scale cc01 with a cr motor in it, but until I want to sort out the gearbox noises first :)

wooaahh lots of activity overnight, will sit down to watch it all later can't wait... Especially the speeds mentioned sounds like a right laugh... And the CC01 sounds awesome at that claimed speed... Flippin awesome! :)

Illogical what's the all terrain set of tyres for the CC-01?

Im going to run my CC-01 with the stock tyres and suspension then try the Loweider kit I bought off Illogical when I up the power, thanks pal the kit is box fresh! 

11 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Finally for to day, the one that actually started my curiosity with these speed runs, a CC01. I've only ever thought of it as a crawler or show car, but with the lowrider kit, I wondered how stable it would be.

Turns out, very. B)

I had thought that the 8.5T Brushless would be too much for it, but it handled it very well. The noisy gearbox (again) is something that both my CC01s have, and I've shimmed the rear axle with the standard two bushings. I'll see tomorrow if it's chewed it any.

I'm not sure I'm confident to go to 3S with it. If I can get the drive train not complaining I might try faster, but I like the truck too much to want roll overs.

• CC01 Pajero Low Rider
  • 4WD Monster Truck is the closest, or is 4WD Touring? hmm :lol:
  • 34.9 mph / 56.2 kmh 
  • 8.5T / 4400 kv Sensored Brushless
  • Revention R ESC
  • 2S Lipo
  • Stock 20T Pinion, stock spur
  • Stock wheels and tires

Jupiter.... What was the top speed pal? This video shows 41.5KPH top speed? But you said it was 56..2KPH ;)

(What Shell is that btw, too dark to see any lovely details)

Jupiter, just checked your first two vids (TA06 and TT02b)  and they are good, they will be going on the list later, congratulations great efforts!

i think I see your CC01 entry has cut n paste duplicated the speed of the TT02b which is an error of text only... So please confirm the CC01 at 41.5KPH ( edit your post) and that can go on the list too.

Think we are all up to date now :)

• Like 1

As I drive around town I've been scouting for a decent strip of asphalt that is level, straight, relatively long, and in good condition.  Most streets don't fit that criteria where I live, and the big parking lots have undulations and storm drains.  I was dropping my son off at high school the other day and finally found what I was looking for - the running track circling the outdoor football field!  It has a perfect straight for 100 yards with gentle curves at each end, grass runoffs (no concrete curbs), and very flat, great condition asphalt.  This seems pretty ideal and share it as an idea for others who will do speed runs too.

• Like 1